Best Insurance Broker in BC? | FerrariChat

Best Insurance Broker in BC?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ThePrince, May 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ThePrince

ThePrince Rookie

Dec 15, 2013
    Canada
    Hi All, I'm looking for the best insurance broker in Victoria BC as I'm relocating there soon. I got a quote from a few brokers and the price difference between BC and the East Coast so far is staggering.

2. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    In BC you need basic coverage from ICBC. So there is no difference between brokers. All are pretty much the same. I like mine because they are open Sundays.

3. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Regarding price differences, insurance / compensation schemes with respect to injuries vary across Canada. That must be considered when comparing typical premiums. BC's compensation scheme allows for no-fault / contractual benefits and claims in tort. Although being amended, the combination of benefits and the right to sue is quite "rich" compared to other provinces, making for higher premiums for the mandatory coverage of third party liability and/or statutory accident benefits. It can be hard to compare prices from province to province without understanding the differences in insurance schemes.

I agree with Max930 that given the basic insurance is all through ICBC, there can be little difference in brokers, although I have found some brokerages and individual brokers more knowledgeable than others, particularly with respect to optional coverage and temporary permits. Brokers and direct sellers can provide alternative optional coverage with rates that might, or might not be competitive. Just be cautious about buying solely on price, particularly for first party / own damage coverage, as the real product is the claim service in the event of a loss. About 15 years ago, I "saved" money buying my own damage coverage through a prominent direct seller but when my (near new) car was broken into at a retail store underground parking, I quickly earned how that insurer cut costs: no weekend service and then was directed to a shop that was also cutting costs with mediocre repairs and not even vacuuming up the shattered glass. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Unfortunately, I can't advise you of choices that might be available in Victoria. Great place to live.

Jon

4. ThePrince

ThePrince Rookie

Dec 15, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks Jon, I'm actually moving to Victoria later on this month, very excited. Curious if I can initially keep my car under NS registration and Insurance? I know a few friends who moved to Toronto who did that for extended periods of time.

5. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Victoria is a great pace to live and work. Although it is "island bound" there are some great roads for day trips, better than Vancouver / Lower Mainland. I don't know how things work on Ontario, but it can be very risky in BC should you not register and insure your car in BC within the time limits set out in the Motor Vehicle Act. There are some specific allowances for military personnel and students. Here's what the Act states:

Registration of foreign motor vehicles and trailers
    21 University Act;

College and Institute Act;

Canada Student Financial Assistance Act,

then, at the earliest opportunity and in any event not later than 30 days after the motor vehicle or trailer is brought into British Columbia, the owner must cause the motor vehicle or trailer to be registered with the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia by delivering to the corporation, a government agent or a person authorized in writing by the corporation to receive it a notice in the form required by the corporation and by giving proof of financial responsibility under sections 106 to 113.

(3)The Lieutenant Governor in Council may order that the owner of a motor vehicle or trailer who gives proof of financial responsibility to the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia under sections 106 to 113 is, for a period the Lieutenant Governor in Council specifies, and subject to conditions set out in the order, exempt from the requirements to register or license the motor vehicle or trailer under this Act.

(4)On receipt of the notice in the form required by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia and proof of financial responsibility, and on being satisfied of the truth of the facts stated in the notice, the corporation must cause to be issued to the owner a certificate of registration in the form established by the corporation, together with a windshield sticker of a design approved by the corporation.

(5)The motor vehicle or trailer, with the sticker conspicuously displayed on the lower part of its windshield in the case of a motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, while being used by the owner within British Columbia for the purpose mentioned in subsection (2) during the period named in the certificate is deemed sufficiently registered and licensed for the purposes of this Act.

(6)A motor vehicle or trailer is not, merely because of compliance with this section, deemed to be sufficiently registered and licensed for the purposes of this Act for a longer period than that allowed by the law of the owner's place of residence for the operation there without local registration or licence of touring motor vehicles and trailers registered and licensed in British Columbia, but this subsection does not apply to permits issued under subsection (2).

(7)A person commits an offence who

(a)drives or operates a motor vehicle or trailer on a highway

(i)after the period of 6 months permitted in subsection (1) (d),

(ii)after the period of 30 days permitted in subsection (1) (e),

(b)makes a false statement in a notice given by him or her for the purposes of this section,

(c)being in possession of a motor vehicle or trailer for which a certificate of registration has been issued under this section, and being requested by a peace officer or constable to exhibit the certificate, refuses or fails to do so,

(d)fails to give proof of financial responsibility under subsection (2), or

(e)30 days or more after entry into British Columbia of a motor vehicle or trailer that is required to be registered under subsection (2) but in respect of which notice has not been delivered in accordance with subsection (2), drives or operates the motor vehicle or trailer on a highway.

6. ThePrince

ThePrince Rookie

Dec 15, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks again Jon. I'll definitely get it registered and covered under ICBC. Curious if I'll have to pay any luxury tax? I've had my car for over a year now so I'm hoping this wouldn't apply in my case?

7. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    To the best of my knowledge, the sales tax and luxury tax only apply when the vehicle transfers ownership. Assuming the car is already in your name and registered with taxes paid in NS, you should be OK. AS to insurance, you only have to buy your "basic" insurance through ICBC. You can buy optional coverage, e.g. increased liability & comprehensive, through other insurers. An agent or broker can assist you in sorting through the options. Best wishes for your move. Jon

8. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    If its a move you don't pay any sales tax. You will need to get a licensed garage to give the vehicle a BC safety inspection.

9. ThePrince

ThePrince Rookie

Dec 15, 2013
    Canada
    thanks guys, I think I read that somewhere as well, the car is still new so shouldn't be an issue.

Any car shipping companies you'd recommend? The ones I've spoken to so far haven't really gave me the confidence to trust them with this, and none would commit to a specific delivery date. Ideally I'd like to have my car by the time I'm there and I'm more than happy to drop it off now, but no success so far!

10. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The provincial inspection is quite basic and can be performed by any number of shops. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/driving-and-transportation/cvse/vehicle-inspection/cvse-designated-inspection-facilities.pdf I have no personal experience with transporters but I see TFX International handling some very exotic cars for Vancouver dealerships.

11. yamashek

yamashek Rookie

Jun 5, 2006
    Talk to TFX International, good luck with the move!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    And I'll add that it doesn't matter how old or new the vehicle is, any vehicle being registered in BC must have the MVI done.

Obviously, if the car in question is a luxury, or exotic car, taking it to Canadian Tire (who are certified for MVI inspections) is a bad choice. Depending what brand of car it is, most new car dealers and upscale independents can perform the MVI.