Best "exotic" sounding non F-car under $30k... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Best "exotic" sounding non F-car under $30k...

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Forza1, Jul 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    Nice replies, guys!

The NSX is something I'd like to hear in person, but I rarely see them around, and when I do, the guy is usually on his cell phone, or just babying it around. From what I hear the VW VR6 engine is supposed to sound pretty good with an exhaust? I don't know anyone who has one locally, so I can't really speak on this.

As for the G35/350Z, I've heard one 350Z that sounded exotic when it went by, this made me curious about the cars, so I went and test drove one, but it was nothing impressive(fit, finish, sound, performance, etc), this leads me to believe the aforementioned 350Z must have had an aftermarket exhaust.

Doug M, you wouldn't happen to have any soundclips of an S2000 with this Ti exhaust?

Johnny Bravo, I've owned both a Z32TT and a MKIV Supra TT(in that order), and I'd say they're far, far from exotic. The Z does sound better in my opinion, but I think that's likely due to the "V" engine design over the Supras Inline-6. Neither of them are what I would consider "good" sounding even. :(

My C5 Corvette sounds pretty exotic now from about 3-5k RPMs with this new Corsa exhaust. Check out the soundclips here: http://www.corsaperf.com/flashc5.htm

Keep 'em coming ;)

-DC

2. zff

zff Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I have to agree with those who voted for the S2000. I've heard a few at the racetrack, and when they're pulling hard at 9000rpm, they're the closest thing to a sportbike I've ever heard on 4 wheels.

3. riccajus

riccajus Rookie

Mar 3, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Justin Riccardi
    i think the closest thing to a f-car in sound is the alfa romeo GTV6. i have one my self with custom extractors and a free flowing exhaust and everyone who hears me coming says the same thing. "Far out that thing sounds like a ferrari". The tune of the alfa V6 is beautiful, especially over 4000rpm. I will try to figure out put a link to a sound file and i guarantee everyone will agree with what i am saying.

4. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    My vote goes for the Alfa Romeo V6. They're definitely gutteral, yet sweet at the same time. Everyone I drive in my car always remarks that it's the nicest sounding motor they've heard (can't avoid not hearing it at 6,000 rpm). There's significant difference between the 2.5V6, 3.0V6 and the latest 3.2V6 in terms of sound. I'll always like the 2.5V6's noise but alas, it doesn't have the displacement to haul the vehicle quickly, like its larger brethrens.

I'd have to say that VW's VR6 motors sound darn good too. Not quite as fierce as the Alfas at redline, but milky and wholesome nonetheless.

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    An MV Agusta F4 on full boil.

6. Rennphile

Rennphile Rookie

Nov 24, 2003
    Colorado
  7. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    I'm with RUFMD- although under 30k will have to be an early 90's if possible...the sound at VTEC from 6-8k RPM , and dont forget the mid engine layout so the screaming behind your hears has the NSX vote for me.

Forza- I run the crap out of mine every time I drive it. =) Although never compared to the Fcar sound, I've been told it sounds pretty darn awesome from the outside with exhaust, headers, intake, and hiflow cats.

8. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Maserati 4.9 liter V-8 Khamsin with Euro headers

9. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    For a very unique, powerfull - but not too high-rev sound: mid 60's to early 70's Chrysler 440 Magnum.

10. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    IMO, if comparing a stock NSX to a stock F-car, the NSX noise from the interior is most similar to the interior noise of a 360, albeit quieter.

I'd say there's no similarity from outside the car.

11. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    FIAT Dino of course...still under 30k for the spider much less for the Coupe and a Dino V6 under the hood to sound just like a Ferrari. To keep with the thread subject, it is not a Ferrari just sounds like one.

12. h22gordo

h22gordo Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Gordan
    I will have to agree: Honda S2000, nothing like the sound of 9000rpm!

13. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    That engine isn't quite the same as in the 246; it's a detuned version and likely not as high a redline.

Ken

14. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime

I find it incredibly horrible. 3rotor sounds neat.

NSX with Taitec exhaust gets my vote. Comptech sounds weak.

15. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    The Alfas are sweet, especially if you can convert back to Euro exhaust. They sound more like a classic F1 car than the modern screamer, but many magazines used to speak of "the Alfa song".

Not much sounds like a modern 19000 rpm F1 car.

For "exotic under 30K" you could put anti-lag on a WRX. That wouldn't be exotic as in an F1 attacking tiger, as much as exotic as in a WRC tomcat coughing up a furball. ;)

16. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    If the motor on the FIAT Dino is detuned or not, has been debated for decades. Ferrari people say it was, FIAT people say it is the exact same motor and the FIAT people have documentation to prove it, just as I am sure Ferrari people have. I wont get into that debate because I don't care, the subject was what is the best sounding for under 30k, well, lets crank up a real Dino at 8,500 RPM and crank up my FIAT Dino at 8,500 RPM and see which sounds better. Don't know the redline on a real Dino, but mine is 8,500. I will admit the real Dino looks a lot better but this thread is about sound.

17. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Pretty much any domestic 60s V8 with 180 degree headers sounds like an exotic. They don't rumble, they scream. 180 degree headers are pretty impractical, but who cares? :)

How about a 38 Willys with a Mopar 340?

18. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    #43 venusone, Jul 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Definitely a street or bridge ported RX7 (rotary engine). When accompanied by a Racing Beat dual exhaust system, the 7 has a truly unique exhaust note throughout rpms & gets really happy at aprox 7000. I have 2.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    infiniti g35 and nissan 350z sound like crap, so metallic and computerized. the new e46 m3 sounds horrible and so do the new 911's.

if u like detroit muscle, that sounds good but notvery refined

best sounding engine is definately the ALFA ROMEO V6, especially with some aftermarket goodies. it has beautiful throttle response and screams to the redline.

the VR6 by VW with an open air filter sounds pretty darn good also

20. SilverF20C

SilverF20C Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
  21. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    chiming in for a 350Z. More specifically, remove the cats and put on the NISMO exhaust which is much higher pitched. I will make a video clip at some point. Very distinctive, very high pitched noise.

22. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    as an aside, i really am not crazy about the f1 sound... too high pitched and whinny.... i prefer a murci or 12 ferrari or 360 with a tubi to a true f1 car sound.... but to answer your question.. iwould say s2000 or acheap old nsx

23. calbear

calbear Rookie

Jul 3, 2004
    Pleasanton, CA
    Full Name:
    Joon Lee
    I would agree that a '91 NSX with a Taitec exhaust at WOT will have as intoxicating a sound as you can get for under $30k. I can speak from experience.

24. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Go drive a Volkswagen R32 with the stock exhaust. It sounds great. You will definitely be suprised.

25. italcarguy

italcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony Rimicci
    I'll second that! Nothing sounds like my Alfa Romeo Milano 3.0 V6 or better yet.....my 2.0 4cyl. race motor @ 8000RPM with open exhaust!