Best Colorado Mountain snow car | FerrariChat

Best Colorado Mountain snow car

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by scycle2020, Oct 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    We are considering buying a 4wd suv- cross over- car to keep at DIA for our frequent trips up to Breckenridge. we want something either new or just a year or two old. Our price range is $20-$30 k. Some ground clearance would be nice , as would supportive seats for my crappy hip. We dont need a third row of seat, but carrying skis and a few bikes is a neccessity. Any ideas and suggestions?? Thanks....SS

2. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    My suggestions aren't going to satisfy, I don't think. Living in the mountains, though, I get a pretty good sense of what people are driving to and fro.

My own garage has Audis and Range Rovers, an ML-class, a BMW X5, and more than a few Escalades. If these don't work (and they probably won't, because they don't fit your price and model year criteria), consider a Jeep. Or, perhaps a Yukon. Or, if you want more of a car as opposed to a truck, you could look more at the Subarus. Too bad Audi doesn't offer the Allroad any longer. At least I don't think they do. An Audi (wagon) avant might work, but it won't have the ground clearance. And, at the price point you're looking at, I'd think you're in the A4 model, which might be a little under-powered and cramped, depending on passengers and load.

Service should also be a consideration. Remember that cars that sit, deteriorate. And, you may need regular access to a dealer. Everyone's on the front range in the Denver area, but there are fewer options in the mountains.

CW

3. fingolfin

fingolfin Formula 3

Apr 23, 2007
    My buddy here in Denver drives an Acura MDX and loves it. It seems comfortable and capable, though I would really only recommend it for 2 people. I don't think a family of 4 could fit all their gear in the trunk and be comfortable in the back seats.

Your seat requirement is what brought it to mind. It has very nice seats with more side bolstering than the competition, so you won't do a ton of sliding around on I-70 headed to Breck.

Good luck.

4. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm a big Subaru fan so I would recommend the Tribeca, Forrester, or STi Hatch :D

5. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    FJ Cruiser.

6. fingolfin

fingolfin Formula 3

Apr 23, 2007
    I'm buying an Impreza on Saturday, I believe.

7. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    +1

I'd go the Subaru route first, but the Audi All Road may be a bit more refined and have a tad more ground clearance than the Impreza.

My vote goes for a Subaru though :)

8. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Love my 2005 Audi Allroad, I wish they still made them. I have over 110,000 miles on it and no real trouble. Comfortable, reasonable pace (even at altitude with the turbos) and never get stuck in the snow. It is fun going around the stuck SUVs in our neighborhood in the foothills above Denver.

9. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    I have three family 4wd/awd vehicles....a Toyota Sequoia, Lexus RX300 and an Audi A6. The Audi has the least clearance but i would drive that just about anytime. It is really good on mountain switchbacks etc. It is probably the most expensive of the lot to maintain but worth it in my opinion.

10. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    We have had great luck with a Chrysler Pacifica (crossover type). AWD, and you could definitely find one 2007 - 2008 UNDER your price range. I offered my Pacifica to a UK colleague for the same purpose when he comes over to ski Breck. Have left it at DIA for him when he flies in.

If new, I would try to find a DEMO 2011 Grand Cherokee. They are awesome.

11. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    Great advise so far...thanks to everyone....its nice to get feed back from people actually living in colorado....

12. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    We live in the mountains and have a 4runner and a Tundra (for pulling trailers mainly). But given your specifics, I'd look at a Subaru. We have had them in the past and there are a zillion of them running around the Colorado mountains for good reason.

Dave

13. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    A Subaru would be a great choice; Alaska is overflowing with them. Without opening a can of worms, get the appropriate tires for the conditions, a good ice scraper, prepare the car for the winter, and you should be happy.

14. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    +1 on the tires. We put good snows on the Audi and Range Rover. I don't feel a need to go to studs, but there are days when they would be useful.

CW

15. Rickenbach

Rickenbach F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    West
    Full Name:
    Rickenhoser
    How often are you here? I would rent a Tahoe from Enterprise before I considered paying for the upkeep of a car sitting in an airport parking lot for 95% of its life.

16. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #16 Gran Drewismo, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
    What about a Volvo? Maybe a XC70 Cross Country? I would think the Swedes would know a thing or two about cars in snow.

Just bought an S60R myself so I haven't experienced snow with it. I'm banking it might not be the best compared to their other models.

17. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #17 PhilNotHill, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
    We have two Subarus. A Forrester and an Outback. Both turbos. Both stick (my wife won't drive an automatic).

We love em.

18. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    We have debated this very point and there are pros and cons on both sides...we will be coming up to breck about 60 days a year, i hope....reserving an suv in the winter can be costly, often over a $100 a day. even with rentin during the off season, average daily rental price with all fees is about $60-70 a day...this comes out to over$4k a year...so leasing or buying and parking and insurance would only be slightly more than this, not to mention the time saved in rental lines and knowing we are getting a good car with good tires, which the rental cars in denver often do not have....SS

19. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Your wife sounds like mine. We had a 98 Outback with a stick. She still misses it. Sadly, 4runners no longer come with sticks. She still talks about getting another Outback though it does not currently fit our needs. She has to get her stick fix with the Cayman S.

Dave

20. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Our old

Forrester is a stick. The new Forrester turbo only has a slush box but the Outback has a stick so we got the outback. It corners better than the Forrester IMVHO. My wife is happy.

She will bend your ear about how you don't really have control of your car with an automatic. Driving an automatic is not driving she says. You are a passenger not a DRIVER. I love this woman.

21. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Are you guys really talking about your wives "stick fixes"? Uhm...

CW

22. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    LOL.

Dave

23. AlanWard

AlanWard Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2010
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alan Ward
    Where are you parking.... the garage is $18 a day at DIA.

24. AlanWard

AlanWard Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2010
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alan Ward
    My wife has one of those... loves driving her Jeep Wrangler (topless sometimes!)

25. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I got a used outback, a 2005 XT. Feel more secure in it with snow tires than my X5 with snow tires. 5 speed manual and pretty darn quick so fun to drive. New Outbacks dont come with the hot turbo four any longer but the foresters do. Subaru outback, used xt would be my recommendation.

Btw, not for Santa Barbara but for my vacation home in Deer Valley