Best car in the market, low 30s range? | FerrariChat

Best car in the market, low 30s range?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Godfather, Jun 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Godfather

Godfather Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Fiorano
    Is the new Pontiac GTO the best bang for the buck in the market in the price range of the low 30s? It has 350HP. In my opinion it looks better than the Infiniti G35 Coupe also. Any other suggestions?

2. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    What *type* of car are you looking for? An STi or Evo would outperform it on the track. As would a used Z06.

3. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    If $35-36k isn't too much of a stretch take a look at a Corvette coupe. I have been shopping around and a number of dealers are offering discounts from $8-10k off of MSRP.

4. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto

Please everyone lets do one thing here..

What do you NEED a car for?
    Personal, business, commuter,

How Many people do you typically have along for the drive?
    If you are married and have kids don't get a 2 seat 2door wifey will flip unless you have 2 other vehicles

Do you have kids or are there any on the way?
    Back Seat issues

Life Style?
    Toys from boats to bikes...

And anything else that will help make the suggestions...

From that we can figure out what to help with... But keep this in the hopper

5. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Go with the G35 in my opinion. I'm dying to get one myself but if you don't like that you could get a used CLK 430 or something...just my 2 cents.

6. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Used 996..??

7. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Subaru WRX - also one of the safest crash tested autos on the market.

8. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    Last decade's Holden Monaro? Serviced at your Pontiac dealer?

It depends on what you're after. Horsepower ratings, depreciation and rattles per mile? The Holden/GTO will probably carry dealer premiums for the first few months and IMO is styled pretty blandly and is already dated.

I'd wait for the new Mustang if you're partial to Detroit Iron, look at Infiniti G35 for new Japanese, consider a C class, Audi A4 or 3 series for German or consider the vast array of used cars available for that amount. Then you're talking fairly decent used 911s or other semi-exotics.

9. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    I like the G35. Whenever one goes down my street, I always think its a Ferrari because it sounds just like one at low RPMs.

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I'd go for a WRX STi or a used M3.

There's also many used 5-series or E-classes floating around those price ranges. Maybe even with "Starmark" or "BMW PreOwned" warranties.

11. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    For mid 30's....I don't think so.

12. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    I'd get an '02 Z06 with decent miles if mid 30's were my budget. Great all around car.

As a side-note, I have a '99 Corvette 6spd Targa Red on Black that I may consider selling. Absolute mint condition inside and out. Entirely stock, could be a showcar if so inclined. Only 30k miles.

email: [email protected]

-DC

13. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I had a new Chrysler 300 as a rental for a couple of days while the Boxster S was getting reprogrammed. I'm not a new car guy generally but this thing with just the 6 cylinder was big and fun in an OTT kind of way. I think you can get the Hemi in the mid $30s. I still need a four-seater and have been planning on an early Rolls Corniche or a Bentley Turbo but the 300C might end up filling the bill. I thought it was cool with the 6 so the Hemi ought to be really fun.

Cheers
    Kevin

14. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

Think again. 99's and a few 00's are trading at auctions in the mid to high 30 range.

15. Godfather

Godfather Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Fiorano
    The car will be for personal and business use. My work commute will be 45 miles each direction. I will be in some stop and go traffic so I want something that will give me decent gas mileage. I'm engaged and my future wife already has a brand new 4 door car in case kids come. Just looking for something fun to drive that has power and is somewhat sleeper. I've looked at the WRX and I don't want a car that will bring the attention of every ricer looking for a quick race. Already have my sports car so I'm not looking for another one. Just want something that runs strong and reliable that I can use for 3 years that has 4 seats and trunk space.

The Acura TL looks very nice, has 270hp. The Audi A4 are a little bit underpowered I think. The BMW 3 series is also underpowered. Also looked at the Jaguar xtype and its low on power as well. I'm going to try to look at the new Maxima today.

My short list is:
    GTO 350hp
    Acura TL 270hp
    G35 280HP

Any others? Thanks!

16. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    #16 L8Braker, Jun 4, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is my Daily Drive at the moment.......had it for 2 years no problems. Made from 1999-2002 you can get a really nice one with starmark warranty for 35. It is a CLK-430

However you can also get a C43 AMG cheaper than the CLK.......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    The new Volvo S40 T-5 in the new issue of Road and Track looks intriguing.

18. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

You are starting to see '01 M3's for around $35k.

A used XK8 could also be found for about that as well.

If new, what about a mazda RX-8.

19. Godfather

Godfather Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Fiorano
    Beautiful car you have! Thats a great idea but I currently have a SL 500. I have always wanted a CLK even more now since I personally don't really like the new design.

20. Godfather

Godfather Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Fiorano
    Steve, you got me thinking about the M3 but right now I need a new car. I have to purchase something in the next few days so I don't have time now to search for a clean used car.

21. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    $36k or so will get you a '99 (or possibly even '00) 996 all day long. Plenty of them on the market & most Porsche fans don't want water in their 911 engine.

22. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    If saving money is a factor...an Accord 6-spd Coupe is a very fast car. Trapping ~97-98mph in the 1/4. Doesn't look half bad either. You also might want to look at an RX-8. (I'd still take anything on your shortlist over these two cars, but they are possibilities).

23. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #23 writerguy, Jun 4, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Don't laugh but I have a car for you... VW R32 AWD from Audi A4 250 hp 3.2 V6 SIXSPEED GREAT SEATS can't go wrong. Has roots on handling and hits 30k on the nose

(My Pix)

24. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

I didn't believe that statement untill I just now ran a search on autotrader.

There are only 3 '98 993s for sale at less than 38k and there are 51! 99-00 996s for less than 38k. What the hell?

25. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan