Benefit for Zac Chapman | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Benefit for Zac Chapman

Discussion in 'Texas' started by lil squid, Aug 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John

Watch out for Phillip on that 65!

2. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    SO sorry for a long gap, was gone overseas for work.

7-20

Zac is still only allowed pureed foods and honey thick liquids with only the speech therapist. The speech therapist is going to start using electrical stimulation on muscles in Zac's neck/throat area to help improve his swallow. The eye Dr. has stopped having him wear the eye patches, and she has put tape on the lenses of Zac's glasses. Changes are happening, and they are happening fast. They are changes for the better. Now to wait for Thurs when Zac will have the EMG done on his face.

7-21

The EMG to be done on Zac's face has been moved to Friday. Talked to the nurse coordinator today and she said Zac's care conference will be on Wed. next week, and should be on every Wed. from here on out.

7-22

Zac was put on the weight supported treadmill for the first time yesterday. I was told that they plan on putting him on this piece of equipment every day. The speech therapist has used the VitalStim on him twice and hopes this will improve his swallowing at a faster rate. OT is working out his arms HARD and is also having him do self care tasks like brushing his teeth, etc.
    They are also helping address Zac's needs for toileting skills. He was seen by a urologist and will have a couple of tests done to determine the best course of action for this. Zac's sitting balance is improving and he is actually able to sit without using his arms to hold him up for short periods of time! Zac is working so hard! I'm so proud of him.

7-24

Spending the day with Zac at BIR. Staff are still coming up to us amazed at how far Zac has come. One of the girls that worked in the "pod room" with him last time asked "what happened?" I replied "God answering prayers!"

7-25

Another great day with Zac at BIR! The posse came today as well :) Zac worked his arms and his legs out again down in the therapy department. They let him use the equipment on the weekends when he doesn't get therapy. I gave Zac a 2# bar for arm curls and he did about 3 reps and then asked " do they have heavier ?" So, Zac did 30 reps of arm curls with a 3# bar! Go Zac!!! He is getting muscle definition again :)

7-28
    Here with Zac at BIR. He has been working so hard today for his therapists! Poor thing is catching a 10 min nap before his last therapy for today. He walked on the weight assisted treadmill for 4 min two times! The support is removing 40# of zac's weight while Zac is walking. That's not a whole bunch :)

They are trying a combination of 2 meds to help decrease the spasms that Zac has. One of the side effects is drowsiness. I think those of us that went to BIR today might have seen a little of that in Zac today :) I transferred Zac today several times and got approval to transfer him out of bed and out of his wheelchair on the weekends.

7-31

Good day with Zac at BIR. Took him down to the 2nd floor for him to work out his arms, shoulders, and wrists. Did a leg workout too before heading back upstairs where I transferred Zac from his wheelchair to the bed. I told Zac the transfer was easy for me and asked him how he thought i did; he said I did good :)

Zac was seen by another ENT on Friday who did a scope of Zac's throat and vocal cords. It seems that the reason Zac is not talking very loud as well as continuing to have difficulty swallowing is due to the right vocal cord having a "large, severe tremor". They could do Botox, but this would increase his chances of choking. So, only time, and more speech therapy will tell if this will get better. The ENT also said that the opening where Zac's trach was has not closed. There is air escaping still from the very small hole that remains. If it does not close, they will have to do surgery to make a clean incision and then stitch it up.

8-1

Another good day with Zac at BIR. Got him out of bed myself and into the wheelchair for some therapy down on the second floor. Zac worked his legs out on the motomed and then I transferred him onto a mat for some work on his sitting balance. He said that something was "off" today cause he had a little harder time sitting.

I let his nurse get him back in bed, but next time I will do it myself because she didn't do too well. I caught eyes with Zac and he gave me a look that told me he felt the same way. Even Julia told me I did a better job of transferring Zac :) I'm so glad that what I do for a living is helping me through this trial. It's good to see Zac becoming more independent with the use of his ipad and his iphone (for listening to music with earphones). Zac is still not able to read his text messages all the time because the letters are too small on the iphone, but he is utilizing the ipod part of his phone well these days!

8-4

Had a good day with Zac at BIR. The weight assisted treadmill for a total of 9 mins today! Zac said that extra minute felt like an extra hour. They are using braces on both of his legs now to help his toes not to drag when he walks; it makes it easier for Zac. The OT is going to set Zac up with some sort of electrical stimulation device for his right hand. She is going to show Zac's dad and I how to use it as well.

The OT has Zac using a device that he puts on his left hand to help him with handwriting. He is using his left hand to write until his right hand and arm gets stronger. The speech therapist is using the VitalStim on Zac's throat and on the right side of his face. I saw the slightest movement of facial muscles today! I was so happy and excited.

The speech therapist is also being fairly aggressive with allowing Zac to have trials of nectar thick liquids, only with her, from a spoon and also sipping directly from the cup. Sipping directly from a cup is more difficult and Zac did cough today when doing that. He still has a strong cough which means he is able to cough up anything that tries to go down the wrong way. Zac's voice is still weak and his words tend to trail off. The Dr. ordered a chest Xray to make sure nothing is going on with his lungs as far as air strength is concerned. The projected discharge date from BIR is still Aug 17th. All of the therapists are trying to cram as much in as they can before this date.

8-5

Well, Zac's having a little set back today. He is having pain around his feeding tube/ lower rib cage area and is not able to take deep breaths because it hurts. They did a stat CT scan to take a look at his chest and did not see anything. There was concern that he might be collecting fluid again around his heart or lungs.

Since Zac was able to pinpoint the area of pain more around his PEG tube they are going to call in a GI Dr. for a consult tomorrow. After the CT scan came back showing nothing in his chest, they now suspect something could be wrong with his feeding tube. Zac is in enough pain that he is asking for pain medicine. Please pray for him and whatever the problem is, that it would be nothing major!

8-6

got a call from Zac's nurse that they will be replacing his feeding tube this afternoon when he is done with his therapy. She told me they can do it right there in his room. I know this is not a BIG deal, but still hate that I won't be there with him. She told me this morning that Zac was not hurting as bad today and he told them he did not want any pain medication. He wanted to do as good as possible with his therapies. I'm so dang proud of my son :) Zac's feeding tube has been changed and even though he is having tenderness around the area, he is feeling better. Looking forward to seeing him tomorrow!

8-7

Got a text from Zac's Dad at 1:00 a.m. stating that Zac was taken to the ER late last night. After a chest xray and then a CT scan, they found pneumonia in both of Zac's lungs. He stayed on a stretcher in the ER until after noon today waiting on an ICU room to become available. Zac's exact words to me were: "I don't know why this place is so popular, it stinks".

Needless to say, he was tired, uncomfortable, tired of laying on a stretcher, running a temperature, and generally not feeling well. They have started him on I.V. antibiotics and he is on oxygen to help him breathe easier. I have no idea how long he will have to stay in the hospital. He is very weak and is difficult to understand because he is so weak.

Keep those prayers coming for Zac because all of you that have been with us on this journey know how much he hates being in the hospital. Tomorrow will be exactly one year since his accident. I don't think Zac wanted to be in the hospital, he had hoped to go to church :(

8-8

Zac is doing better today. His blood pressure is up, temp is down, heart rate is down,
    white blood cell count within normal range, breathing without the need for oxygen today, and a chest xray done this morning showed that his lungs look better. He is still in icu, but the Dr. may move him into a regular hospital room soon. Either way, he wants to keep an eye on Zac for "a day or two".

Thank you all for your prayers!! Zac was doing pretty good when Julia and I got there, but in the afternoon he started not being able to talk very well. The respiratory therapist gave him a breathing treatment and he got some pain medicine. He still couldn't talk that well, but was resting easier. Anyway, Zac still needs prayer, so keep up the good work!!

Pictures of Zac at BIR: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=765537&id=1453667597#!/album.php?aid=41659&id=1453667597

3. ysrjunkie

ysrjunkie Rookie

Dec 3, 2007
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    David Long
    Thanks again Yulia for keeping us updated. The prayers continue. The more we pray, the more they are answered.

4. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    8-9

Zac is still getting I.V. antibiotics so they put a PICC line in his right arm today. When they check the placement of this (with an xray) to make sure all is well, the Dr. has written orders for Zac to be transferred out of ICU into a regular hospital room. The nurse said that Zac is doing better than yesterday. Still don't know exactly how long the Dr. wants to keep Zac in the hospital.

8-10

Zac is still in the ICU, but I heard that he is supposed to move tonight to a regular room "once it is cleaned". Zac has had a rough day today, not with feeling bad, but with poor care at the hospital. He is feeling better and wants to be allowed to go back across the street to BIR. His Dad is checking on that tomorrow to see if BIR can take him back on antibiotics. Let's pray that they can!!

via Jenny

5. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    8-11

Zac was transferred late last night into a regular room. He is on 2 i.v. antibiotics. We were hoping that the Dr would say that Zac could return to BIR today or tomorrow, but we found out today that BIR will not take him back until they know he can tolerate 3 hours of therapy a day.

The social worker said that therapy has to see him in the hospital first and then they will determine if he can tolerate therapy for 3 hours a day. We found this out at 4:30 today, so of course no therapists came to see him today. There weren't even any orders written in Zac's chart for therapy. Unfortunately, this has been the pattern of this most recent hospital stay. I am in health care, so I will not go on and on about the level of care, lack of communication, uncaring Dr's that we have seen at Baylor in Dallas this time. I know all the right medical jargon to use and still couldn't get much accomplished today. I am ready for Zac to get back to BIR in a hurry!!!

8-12

My husband and I drove to Anna, TX to tour PATE rehabilitation where Zac will go when he is discharged from BIR. Zac will have his own little apartment that he will stay in and the therapy building is not too far away. At BIR he has 3 hours of therapy a day, at PATE he will be busy with therapy from 9-3 on weekdays. This is a LONG drive from Weatherford; at least there is a sofa sleeper in the sitting area of the apartment for the weekends when I go to see Zac. They are not really sure how long Zac will be at PATE. That depends on Zac's progress.

Zac is still in the hospital at Baylor in Dallas. I was glad to hear that Zac started therapy today. They transferred Zac out of bed and into a regular chair to sit. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal, but that means that Zac was able to sit in a chair that did not wrap around his sides and offer support there, and he had no support behind his head! Zac is still getting better and better :)

Pictures from PATE Rehabilitation: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=43643&id=1453667597&ref=mf

8-13

Zac was transferred back to BIR this afternoon. I did not get to communicate with him this afternoon to see if he got settled in, but I will be going to see him tomorrow.

8-14

Come to find out, Zac was not transferred back to BIR yesterday, but he was today :)
    I was headed to Dallas when my phone rang and it was Zac's ringtone. I answered it and it was Zac on the other end; he called me!! (This is BIG. Zac's speech still isn't the easiest to understand) Zac said, "Mom, where are you? I am still in the hospital." I told Zac that I thought he got transferred back to BIR yesterday and he told me " no". We talked some more and I told him I was on my way and we would get this worked out. I made a call to BIR and found out that Zac would be transferred for sure later on in the morning. I called Zac back and he answered the phone; I told him the transfer was on for today.

was just down the street from BIR when my phone rang again with Zac's ringtone. He said "I am being transferred to BIR now". This may seem normal and boring to some people. I have not talked to my son on the phone in over a year! My son has not called me from his cell phone in over a year!! When I heard his ringtone today I got goosebumps...

6. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    8-16

Zac said that today he got to stand in PT, and that the OT was very impressed. I know that he is very glad to be back at BIR and is ready to jump right back in where he left off.

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Great news!!

That's a big milestone........congrats to him!!!!

8. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks for the updates.

I just got back from riding this weekend at Barber with friends and made the connection between some of them and your husband, who has worked on their motorcycles!

Small world!

Axe

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I met a nice couple (clients of his) in the Art Car crowd as well, "his and her' Ducatis....

10. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    8-18

Zac said that this morning he had a swallow study done and is being allowed pudding thickness items only with the speech therapist. He also had an xray of his face, but is not sure exactly what for or what the results are. His PT, Sheryl, has been sick and so he has not gotten to walk on the treadmill again since returning to BIR. They will be having his first care conference tomorrow since his return to BIR. I will not be able to attend due to work. I'm sure they will give a new discharge date from BIR. When I find out, I will share the info.

8-19

Zac's new discharge date from BIR is Sept. 8th (day after Zac's 21st birthday). The xray done was of Zac's sinuses and they came back clear. He will see the vision Dr. tomorrow. He still hasn't been back on the weight assisted treadmill, but has worked on standing in the parallel bars :)

8-21

Zac is planning on going to church tomorrow here in Weatherford. Then, he is going to stop at my house for a little while since my house is close to his church. He has not been to my house since late July of last year. Then, if he feels like it, he is going to his Dad's house that he has not been to either since the accident. I am excited for Zac to come here tomorrow. He and I had a good day together at BIR. We picked out clothes for him to wear to church tomorrow, then extra clothes for after church if he wants to change. Zac told me today that the device that the OT is using on his right hand is working and he is starting to work on writing with his right hand now!!

Zac was able to get back on the treadmill on Friday; he was happy about that. He sat in a "regular" chair for 30 minutes again. The therapists at BIR are amazing, and they are doing a great job with Zac :) God is continuing to bless Zac and is still performing miracle after miracle, thank you God!!

Second time at BIR pictures: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=41659&id=1453667597&ref=mf

8-22

Zac made it to church today here in Weatherford and then he came to my house for about 45 minutes for a short visit. My sister and the posse were at my house to visit with Zac as well. He was coughing some and his "bum" was a little sore from sitting in his wheelchair, but other than that he did pretty good. I enjoyed him coming to my house immensely!!!

8-24

Well, I talked to Zac on the phone for a short conversation yesterday. He said he walked on the weight assisted treadmill for a total of 8 mins. I texted tonight, but no response from him yet. He still needs someone to read his texts to him at times, but always needs someone to type his response text.

I saw someone today who said "Why didn't you tell me Zac was up walking everywhere?" I replied, "Because Zac is NOT up walking everywhere". If I have typed anything on here that could mislead someone to believe that Zac is up walking on his own, I apologize. Zac is still in a wheelchair and has to be transported to and from places in a wheelchair accessible vehicle.

I am able to transfer him out of his wheelchair to the bed, mat, or recliner by myself, but it is with much effort on my part still. Don't misunderstand me, Zac has come a long way, but he is not walking yet unassisted. Zac has unbelieveable drive and determination, and with God's help nothing will keep him from reaching his goals :)

8-25

Get to go see Zac tomorrow during the day at BIR. It is also his care conference day where all the therapists get to brag on how well Zac is doing in therapy. He will have 2 more weeks at BIR after tomorrow before he continues his journey at PATE.

via Jenny

11. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    8-27

Had a great day with Zac yesterday at BIR. He has increased his time to 10 minutes on the weight assisted treadmill. He worked hard for OT as well; he is now able to do the arm bike, one arm at a time, 5 mins on each arm. He is moving his right arm much better and is also doing much better at sitting without any back support. With the speech therapist, he had some thickened tomato soup. He said that he really hadn't eaten tomato soup since daycare, but it tasted good to him yesterday :) The speech therapist wants Zac to be able to eat 10 bites without coughing and then she feels Zac would be ready for thickened food items not just with her. Yesterday Zac coughed once after bite #9 and then had a 10th bite without coughing.

We discussed Zac's birthday coming up and if she thought Zac could have some of his birthday cake prepared to the right consistency. She said it is looking very promising!! There has been a room reserved at BIR on Sunday Sept. 5th from 3-5 to celebrate Zac's 21st birthday. Zac was in a coma in the state of Virginia last year for his 20th birthday. Even if some of you want to come see Zac at BIR on Sunday the 5th, but are unable to come between 3-5, please come at whatever time is best for you. That is the only time that the room could be reserved for Zac's party.

Guess what Zac did today in PT?! He walked in the parallel bars (with assistance) all the way to the end twice today!!!! This is HUGE!!!!! I am a proud, grateful mom :)

8-30

Just got off the phone with Zac. He said he had a good time at the races on Sunday and enjoyed seeing everyone. Zac did a lot of standing in the parallel bars today in PT. He is requiring less assistance to stand. The therapist pretty much stood back once Zac got his balance. He only walked one time in the bars today because he did so much standing work. He ate tomato soup with the speech therapist today. He got in 5-6 bites before they ran out of time for the treatment. We are still keeping our fingers crossed that Zac can have some of his birthday cake on Sunday :)

9-1

Talked to Zac on the phone again last night, maybe it will become our nightly ritual :)
    He walked on the treadmill without having to use a brace on his left leg. They are still using a brace on his right leg because it is weaker and he still has decreased sensation on the right side of his body. He is pretty much dressing himself from sitting in the wheelchair. He had tomato soup with the speech therapist again and I asked him if he was tired of tomato soup yet, but he said "no". We are still hopeful that he will be able to have some of his chocolate birthday cake on Sunday!

9-2
    Had a great day with Zac at BIR. This was my last opportunity to see Zac do therapy while at BIR before he transfers to PATE. Zac had oatmeal with the speech therapist this morning, but the last bite was a larger bite and things were rushed so Zac ended up coughing. He not only coughed at the time, but pretty much all day unfortunately. He walked on the treadmill, but was unable to make the full 10 minutes due to problems with coughing. He then had an hour long OT treatment and did very well. During his break time his care conference was held.

Zac will be discharged from BIR next Wed. and around 10:00-10:30 will be transported to PATE. His last therapy of the day was walking in the parallel bars. I witnessed my son taking steps that required such effort on his part, I was moved to tears. This is something that has been prayed for, and today I saw it occur.

9-3

Heard that Zac was still coughing so much that he threw up last night. They did a chest xray and it came back clear. Zac's white blood cell count is up though so they started him on an antibiotic. He is also getting Robutussin for the coughing. Zac does not want to get sick, especially this weekend. He is looking forward to his birthday party.

9-4

Zac was feeling better today so hopefully by his Dr. acting quickly with medications and beefing up his breathing treatments we have avoided yet another respiratory illness. Zac was still coughing, but not as much. Zac and I were talking about his transfer to PATE next Wed. He said to me " transfer day is very important" and he wants me to be there. So, I will be re-arranging things with work so that I can be there for Zac :)

9-5

Zac's 21st birthday bash went very well. Thank you to everyone who sacrificed of their time (and gasoline!) to come today. Zac was still coughing some, but he had a very good time! There were so many people there that they did not all fit in the room and were spilling out into the hallway. Much gratitiude to all of you from me for making my son's day a lot brighter :))

Pictures: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=50644&id=1453667597&ref=mf and http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=36307&id=1675556977&ref=mf

12. ysrjunkie

ysrjunkie Rookie

Dec 3, 2007
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    David Long
    Man, I just realized it has been over a year since his accident. I still pray daily for him and Jon. I heard Jon will be moving near Zac again. Thank God for all of the healing and the healing to come.