Benefit for Zac Chapman | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Benefit for Zac Chapman

Discussion in 'Texas' started by lil squid, Aug 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    2/16/10

I saw Zac this morning and the posse went to see Zac tonight. Yeah posse!!! Zac is not as responsive today, Drs are monitoring this to see if it is due to stopping the 4 neurostimulators that he was taking to see if they were affecting his heart rate. The cultures showed he had pseudomonas and MRSA in his sputum. He was already being treated for these 2 things at the nursing home with different antibiotics.

Via Jenny

2. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Yuliya, any updates?

Thanks,

Axe

3. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    I'm back in the country, sorry for the delay in update. Catching up here:

Feb 18

Went and saw Zac and they are waiting for a room to open up and then they will transfer him out of ICU. He is about the same, heart rate of 114 and temp of 99.3.

Feb 19

Zac has been transferred out of ICU.

Feb 22

Zac is continuing his stay in the hospital, but we are planning a bust out hopefully this week. He has another little buggie that must be treated with an antibiotic and must be better under control before we can bust him outta that place :)

Feb 24

Looks like the kid will be busting out of the hospital tomorrow!! I will be so glad to have him back at the Courtyards. Zac got a different trach yesterday. I am thankful that he was not coughing when I saw him today.

Feb 25

Zac did get to leave the hospital and return to the Courtyards. I asked him this morning if he was ready to leave the hospital and he looked at the "yes" card. I dropped off some of his stuff at the Courtyards and the staff were really excited that he was coming back. We are blessed that he is at a facility where the staff have come to love and care for him!!

Feb 26

Zac had to be taken back to the ER today because his feeding tube is not working...again. They have tried unclogging it in the ER, but are not having any luck. The Dr. in the ER is going to try and contact the Dr from Dallas that performed Zac's sugery to see if he has any ideas on another trick that is conservative and will prevent something else having to be done.

Zac is still in the ER, but is being admitted. They will have to replace his J tube either tomorrow or the next day. It is a special tube and they have to locate one first. Please pray for him, I really feel that he has lost weight during this last ordeal and I know they are having to hold his feedings through this.

Feb 27

Zac's surgery went well, but the Dr. explained that the type of feeding tube that Zac has is prone to problems and will get clogged up again. I will not get all technical, but if Zac is never able to tolerate feedings directly into his stomach, this will be a way of life for him unless we opt to have another surgery performed later on down the line.

Feb 28

Zac had kind of a rough afternoon today. He started coughing so much that after about 15 straight minutes of coughing, he threw up. His blood pressure went up, his temp went up, and his heart rate went up. By the time I left, his blood pressure was normal as was his temp. He was still coughing though and his heart rate was elevated.

Just got a call from Zac's dad, Zac is having high residuals in both parts of his feeding tube. They are having to hold his feeding for a while till that improves. I guess Zac is having "one of those days" :(

Mar 1

Spent the day with Zac. He snoozed most of the day, I think he was tired from his rough day yesterday. A chest xray was done to make sure that when he threw up yesterday he did not aspirate any into his lungs. Did not know the results before I left today.

Mar 2

Zac had a really good day today. One of the posse members, Wendy, stayed with him some today and got to hear firsthand how Zac nodded his head in response to some questions as well as moving his eyes. In fact, Zac did this several times today, for several people, including doing it for a skeptical nurse. That nurse is a believer now! Zac's heart rate was good today and he was very alert :)) I love that boy so much!

Mar 3

Well, today topped yesterday!! Zac answered all questions today with nodding of his head for "yes" or "no". He answered all questions appropriately. Tomorrow they will start giving him some of his nutrition into his G tube (directly into his stomach) to see if he can start tolerating it. It is so good getting to communicate with Zac. This is going to help us, and him, with his care. I had to smile when I asked him if he wanted to watch what was on t.v. and he shook his head no. I asked him if he wanted me to turn the t.v. off and he shook his head no. I said "do you want Julia to see what else is on t.v.?" and he closed his eyes and then opened them which means "ok".

Zac is having a rough night, praying for his heart rate and pain level to come down.

Mar 4

Zac is doing better today. He is still nodding away with those "yes" "no" responses. He sure did tire out easily though. Thanks to one of the posse, Wendy, for staying with him some today!! I just love that boy!!!!! <)

Had another good day with Zac, even though he did tire easily. When he was asked if he wanted to go outside(in his wheelchair) he said "no". Not sure what to think about that response, but we will try to get him outside again when the weather is pretty.

Mar 5

The speech therapist brought in a flavored tongue depressor today and Zac could tell us what the flavor was...it was grape. He knew it wasn't chocolate :) The boy is amazing!! Small steps in the right direction, glory to God!!!

Mar 7

Yesterday, Zac could remember his little chevy S10 truck, his dodge truck, that he attended Weatherford college, and that he worked at Family Powersports. He does not have memories of right before going to Virginia (for the motorcycle race) or going to Virginia. I got him outside yesterday briefly to show him the Zac Attack sticker on the back of my car which he had not seen.

Zac had a rough morning. His oxygen level dropped and his heart rate went up. After a breathing treatment, being suctioned, and pain medicine, there was improvement. Zac is able to communicate so well now that we are able to find out where he is hurting by process of elimination now. That is so helpful in taking care of him!!

Mar 7 Note:

I so enjoy my visits with Zac. When he is feeling good, and not sleepy or tired, it is so exciting to be able to talk with him. I still get asked how much I think he understands; I think he understands everything. He has answered questions that I thought might be too confusing or difficult for him to answer. A staff member tonight wanted me to ask Zac if he was in pain and he nodded no. The staff member started smiling and laughing and he said "forgive me, its just so cute the way Zac answers questions". I said it is too cute and I told Zac that he was so cute I just wanted to eat him up like a cupcake. I said, is it ok if I call you my "little cupcake" and he nodded yes. He is too adoreable!!!
    Tonight Zac knew that he had a birthday while he was in a coma, that he is 20 years old, that he broke his right foot from riding a dirtbike, that we celebrated my husbands birthday by eating at Cattlemans on the north side. So, he has memories in June before his accident in August.
    I asked him yesterday if there was anything we could get/do for him. One thing that i found out was that he wanted a different pair of shoes to wear when he gets up in his wheelchair. The quest will continue to see if there is more that we can get/do for him :)

Mar 8

Zac had a pretty good day. He had therapy and worked hard on trying to hold his head up on his own. He is still doing well with feedings going into his stomach and they will be changing his formula by tomorrow to one with a higher calorie count.

Mar 9

Zac had a great day! He is able to follow simple directions on command: wiggle your toes Zac- and he did on his left foot!! He is still nodding his head very well for yes and no. He is able to identify simple WORDS and pictures!!! Yes guys, that means the super kid can read and understand the words!!!!!! He was able to indentify WORDS and pictures by functions/descriptions (scissors, plate, toothbrush, and spoon)

They put Zac in the recliner that is in his room after he was asked if he wanted to sit in it and he nodded yes. I asked him this afternoon if he liked sitting in the recliner and he nodded yes. We brought our dog Bella to visit Zac also. I think Zac agrees that she needs to lose some weight before she sits in his lap again :)) Zac is still moving fingers of his left hand also!

Zac is now moving his toes on his left foot as well as moving his fingers on his left hand. The speech therapist was so excited to show me how Zac can read words and nod appropriately at what they are when a description is given. For example: The word PLATE is on a card; she says "Zac, is this something you sit in?" he nods no. "Zac, is this something you put food on?" and he nods yes. He has done this with pictures, but today was the first time he did this with words. He did this with the words "scissor, plate, toothbrush, and spoon".
    Zac sat up in a recliner for hours today and said he enjoyed it.

Mar 11

Our internet was not working last night so couldn't give an update. Zac is still doing well, he is moving his fingers on his right and left hands, but better on the left. He is moving his toes on his right and left feet, but better on his left. Today, he had another great day of physical, occupational, and speech therapy. The weather was nice today so I asked Zac if he wanted to wear shorts and he nodded yes :)

Mar 13

Going to spend some time with Zac this morning before the big quincenera! My sister and Wendy told me that the speech therapist put a straw in Zac's mouth and he was able to close his lips around it. It is good that he is getting more movement with his tongue/mouth :)

Saw Zac this morning and he was bright eyed and bushytailed when I got there. He got up in his wheelchair, got his hair styled, his face washed, his sideburns trimmed, and then he was tired. Janet and Wendy came to relieve me since my daughter has the quincenera tonight and there were many errands for me to do before that. Zac now weighs 118.5! The boy has gained some weight :)

4. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Glad to hear hes doing well. :)

5. ysrjunkie

ysrjunkie Rookie

Dec 3, 2007
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    David Long
    It's good to hear his improvement. I hope to visit next time I am in Dallas area. I'm so glad Zac is gaining weight. I'm praying daily for all involved.

6. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    Mar 18

Had such a good day with Zac. He and I had some good talks today. His weight is 114.9 so they increased the rate on his tube feedings and if he tolerates this rate well for 48 hours then it will be increased again. The speech therapist said today that Zac is 100% there cognitively! I agree with her 100%!!

via Jenny

7. ysrjunkie

ysrjunkie Rookie

Dec 3, 2007
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    David Long
  8. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    Mar. 19

Zac is jumping right in and letting the staff know what he wants and what he doesn't want. He made it evident with head nodding that he did not want to wear the boots last night that he usually wears every night. He told me today that they are hot and he does not want to wear them. He also told them he did not want to wear a gown, but wanted to sleep in a T shirt.

One of the staff said to Zac, "Zac, you're the boss now right?" and it was so cute to see Zac nodd "yes" to this!

Zac had a good day in therapy today. They stood him up with the standing frame for about 7-8 minutes until his heart rate went up and they sat him back down. He had good head control during therapy also.
    The J tube has been removed and now Zac only has the tube that goes into his stomach for his feeding. He is still tolerating his feedings well. The cuff on his trach is still completely deflated and he is tolerating that as well. If things continue to progress, Zac should get that trach out.
    Zac is moving fingers on both hands and can also move his left wrist. He also has movement in both feet. Return of movement in his body is slow, and he is still unable to talk, but everyone is hopeful and optimistic regarding his recovery. There is no doubt that Zac is working very hard, everyone comments on how they can see how hard he is working.
    I have said all along that God is in control of this entire situation. Zac knows this as well and we are both grateful for how far God has brought him.

9. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    Mar 21

I just can't express how great it is to talk to my son!! I can ask him anything, and he understands me. I had been curious about his cross necklace that he used to wear all the time. I asked him if he knew where it was and he nodded yes. I told him that I was glad that he knew where it was because I had worried that it had been lost if he had worn it to Virginia. We discussed his sideburns and he told me that he liked longer, skinnier sideburns. Even though they have now increased his feeding rate to the goal rate, he said he still feels hungry. We talked about how one day we hope to get rid of his trach and then we can work on swallowing, which will eventually lead to him being able to eat by mouth again. This is why I am careful to never eat in front of Zac now. I think it would be hard to watch someone eating food when you can't and you're hungry.
    I also asked Zac about the tiimes when he is there by himself. He said that he doesn't like it when he is by himself. I have been coming on Sundays after church/lunch and just found out that he is there by himself until I get there. I told Zac I would work on that!!

via Jenny

10. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    Mar 22

Another day with Zac and more revealing conversations. Today, I realized the "old Zac" is still in there. The poor kid still says his wheelchair hurts his bottom. I sat in it today and it was hard!! The wheelchair people are to come and work on making it more comfortable for Zac. A friend of Zac's came to visit today; he asked Zac if he knew who he was, I could see Zac trying to say the name "Randy" with his mouth!!

Mar 23

Another exciting day for Zac! Since Zac has transitioned to Medicaid at the nursing home, he only gets therapy 3 times a week. The PT and OT have been doing their treatments on the same days, Mon Wed and Fri. Today, zac was trying to say something and a board with letters on it had been made. He looked at the letters P-H-Y.

The person that was there with him said "Zac, do you want to go to physical therapy?" and he nodded yes. Today was not a day that he was supposed to get therapy, but the therapist came in to his room and worked with him anyway. That is an example of the staff at that facility and how much they care about Zac. They are now going to stagger the therapies so that Zac gets therapy every day Mon-Fri.

Zac is wanting to work so hard at getting better. He wants to do therapy every day. He understands that this will help him get better faster. He always lets me do therapy on him and I enjoy it. After I worked on his arms and legs tonight, he started moving in the bed. I asked him if he was hurting and he nodded yes. I started naming body parts, but wasn't having any luck. The sad part is I could see his mouth moving and he was trying to tell me, but I just couldn't make it out. I asked him if he would look at the letter board and he nodded yes. He looked at the letters B-L-A-D. I asked if it was his shoulder blades and he nodded no, I asked if it was his bladder and he nodded yes. I said "Zac, do you need to pee?" (sorry, but I did say it that way) and he nodded yes. I went and got the nurse and he helped Zac use a urinal and Zac did it!!! This means that Zac is realizing when he has to go to the bathroom.
    THIS IS HUGE!!!!!
    I can't even begin to give enough thanks to God! God is so good :)

11. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks, Yul. The latest reports are so encouraging, you can tell Zac's mom is having her prayers answered. I really hope some day that Zac can return to a normal life.

12. ysrjunkie

ysrjunkie Rookie

Dec 3, 2007
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    David Long
    ditto

13. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    Zac did well with speech therapy today. He tolerated the speaking valve over his trach for a good 25 min with his oxygen level remaining good. He was unable to make any strong audible sounds, but he was trying very hard! He is gaining more tongue and lip movement. They weighed him today in his wheelchair on a different scale and he weighed around 121, we know this is not accurate, but he is gaining weight!

14. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    Mar 28

Zac did have a good amount of visitors today. The posse came to see him as did dear friends of the family. Zac raised his left arm up which is something new! My sister made a smaller letter board for Zac that should be easier for him to use.

15. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    Monday 3-29-2010

Zac's pulmonary Dr came to his room today and I asked Zac if he had a question for the Dr and he nodded yes. He asked the Dr " When can I get trach out?" and " When can I drink?" The Dr. said that Zac's vocal cords need to be working before he can get the trach out which means that Zac needs to be able to talk. Zac cannot eat or drink until the trach comes out, so the pulmonary Dr is going to have Zac seen by a ear, nose, and throat (ENT) Dr. His vocal cords need to be checked to make sure they are ok, and have not been damamged.
    Zac asked that people pray that his vocal cords will be ok and that he can get that trach out. He wants to start talking, eating, and drinking. I told him that i would ask for specific prayer for those things.
    Thank you all for you love, support, concern, and prayers for Zac. Now come on, who of you would refuse his request?!

16. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    Tue 3-30-2010

OK everyone, Zac has an appointment with the ENT this Friday at 10:00 in the morning. I told him that I would ask everyone to pray hard for his vocal cords to be ok and not damaged. He nodded his head yes and he wants people to pray with/for him.

17. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Sounds like March was a fantastic month. Really great to hear the progress. Must be a huge relief for Zac that he is able to communicate now.

18. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    #168 lil squid, Apr 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    3-31

Zac in the vertical position!!! This is the standing frame they use to stand him up. There is a belt that goes behind his bottom to help lift him up.

4-1

Zac weighs 118.8 now, so he is definitely gaining weight. Zac is looking forward to going to church this Sunday. He is also ready to go to the Dr. tomorrow to get his vocal cords checked out. Please keep this matter in prayer!!!!

4-3

Well, after Monday I should have a better idea what is next on the prayer list. I want to talk to the speech therapist and the respiratory therapist to find out what happens from here. I am guessing that Zac will get to start wearing the speaking valve longer in an attempt for him to start vocalizing. Right now, I would say pray that Zac will be able to start talking!!!

One of "the family/posse" thought of an idea how Zac could type to communicate with us easier. Eric, u the man!!! I can't wait to get there tomorrow to see if he can do it. Tylenol pm, help me fall asleep!!! Zac did fairly well going to church today. It was a little overwhelming for him at first he communicated to me. But, he said he enjoyed it and was happy that he could go.

4-5

Zac typed the first thing he wants to eat, and where he wants it from :)

Thanks to "THE MAN", Eric, Zac was able to use a mouse with a virtual keyboard on the laptop to type a message. After he said he was hungry, he was asked what the first thing was he wants to eat, and from where.

Zac did well today using the new form of communication. He was exhausted after typing 4 lines. I also think he was still worn out from going to church yesterday. Zac also communicated that he hears better out of one ear than the other (the right), he also said that he can see out of one eye better than the other (the right). He also communicated that he has double vision at times, but that goes away when he wears a patch over one eye.
    Can't wait to see what God does next!!

4-6

Heard that Zac worked so hard again in therapy today. He stood for 10 minutes today with the standing frame. When Janet, Wendy, and I went to go see him this afternoon, he was "out like a light" from fatigue. After he woke up, I read some posts from 2 other sites I post on. It was so nice showing him how many people love him and are praying for him :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That is SO great!

It's been a long road for the young man, keep on fighting!

All the best, Yuliya!
    Alan

20. ysrjunkie

ysrjunkie Rookie

Dec 3, 2007
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    David Long
    Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

21. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    4-8-10

Zac has had an amazing day! First, the dietician said that Zac has gained weight and now weighs 121.8#
    Then, by looking at letters on the letter board, Zac told his father and I, "I am nearly deaf in my left ear". We knew he could hear better out of his right ear, but I had no idea that he was "nearly deaf" in his left ear. He also communicated, "I need a toothbrush", and "I need toothpaste". He then spelled out with letters, "What have y'all done with my bronco?" (He did actually spell out yall) The thing is, Zac doesn't have a bronco. He has never had a bronco. When Zac was very young, his dad had a brown bronco. Later on, when the speech therapist was working with him, he spelled out "I believe I have a bronco". I asked him if the bronco was brown and he nodded yes. Is Zac's brain getting this memory messed up? If so, it is the first I have seen since his accident. I told him that his dad had a brown bronco when he was very young and maybe this is the one he remembers.
    The speech therapist taped a straw to Zac's left index finger and he was able to point at letters written on a piece of paper. Zac said this was easier than looking at the letters on the canvas that we had been using. The speech therapist also put the speaking valve on Zac and was having him try to say "hey" and
    "hi". Zac had a cough and then she asked him to try again, and Zac did it!!! Apparently, when Zac coughed, he cleared the secretions that were on top of his vocal cords and then he could vocalize. She then had him say"me" and he did that as well!!! She had to go get other staff members so that they could rejoice right along with us. Everyone was clapping and telling Zac "great job" and he did that little half smile of his. When Zac does not have secretions on his vocal cords, he can make vocalizations.
    After he spoke, the speech therapist asked Zac if he wanted to spell anything else and he nodded yes. He spelled out "red cap". Zac wanted to know when they could start capping his trach with the red cap! When he is ready for that, they place a red "cap" over his trach and he has to breath in and out only through his nose and mouth. This is the step before getting his trach out.
    I know this is a long note, but I have one more thing to add about today. Zac and I had just talked with the speech therapist this morning wanting more information about how things would progress as far as him talking and getting the trach out. She stated that the ENT report showed that Zac had secretions over his vocal cords and that seemed to be preventing him from speaking. The Dr. also said that Zac was a high risk for aspiration (choking) because of these secretions. She told Zac and I that if he could clear those secretions, he would be able to vocalize. Zac is not able to cough on his own, it is still just reflex coughing, but thank goodness he coughed while he had the speaking valve on and we got to hear his voice!!! God, keep working a miracle in my son :) You are to be praised!!

22. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    4/9/10

Heard that the speech therapist came in and worked with Zac and he was able to vocalize a loud, strong sound again! He stood with the standing frame for 15 mins AND THEN another 8 mins. This kid is working so hard!!! I love you Zac :)

4/11/10

Not such a good post for tonight. Zac is running a temp, but it is controlled by Tylenol. He is coughing quite a bit. There is to be bloodwork done in the morning, but at this point they are thinking he might have pneumonia. He developed an an eye infection and has antibiotic eye drops for that. Please pray for our Zac...

4/12/10

I guess its looking like Zac has pneumonia. His white blood cell count is elevated, he still has a fever, the Dr. ordered a chest xray, and I.V. antibiotics to be started. When I was there with him today, his oxygen level was a little below normal and his heart rate was a little elevated from what it has been lately. He did not have a temp until around 1:00.

Zac has been doing so well lately. I hope this does not set him back too much. He communicated that he did not feel badly during the day today, just not breathing as easily as normal. Talked to the nurse tonight and they may put another PICC lline in for the I.V. antibiotics since he will be on them a while. He is to have speech therapy and physical therapy tomorrow. I know he was really wanting to work hard for both tomorrow.
    Just keep up the prayers for our dear Zac and may he bounce right back from this and get to feeling better soon!!!

23. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    4/13/10

Zac has the beginning of pneumonia in the right lung. Thank goodness it was caught early and Zac is already responding to the I.V. antibiotics. His white blood cell count is already down from 16 to 11(normal is 3-10) When I got there today, the speech therapist was working with Zac with the speaking valve. I heard him say "I am Zac". She said "say Zac again for me, it wasn't very clear". He said "Zac". She asked him to say I am Zac again, and he did it. I sat down in a chair beside his bed and he turned his head towards me and said, " I love you"!!!! Needless to say, there wasn't a dry eye in the room. I left the room later on to talk to a staff member and while I was gone Zac said, "I want to eat, I want to drink, I want to walk". Granted, his speech is not clear, but he is starting to speak a lot more with the speaking valve.
    This is an answer to prayer, and I can't wait to see what God does next :)

24. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    4-14

Even with Zac being sick, he is still working hard. I asked him tonight if he could do math and he nodded yes. I asked if anyone had him try math yet and he nodded no. I wrote out 0-9 and started with simple addition, he got them all right. Then we added double digits, easy ones, he got them right. Then we did division, easy ones, and he got them right. I asked him if he remembered his cell phone number and he pointed it out. I asked if he remembered my cell phone number and he pointed it out.
    I asked Zac if he realized how great it was that apparently he did not lose his math skills and he nodded yes. I asked him if he realized he could have lost that and he nodded no. I told him it was another blessing!!

4-15

Zac was tired today when it was time for speech therapy, he was not able to vocalize very much today. The speech therapist said that when she works with him next, if he is feeling better she will keep the speaking valve on longer! If the chest xray done today looks better, and if the Dr. is in agreement when he comes next Monday, she will order a swallow study to be done to see if Zac is ready for anything by mouth!!

25. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    4-17

Zac is still coughing. An xray done on Thurs. showed that his pneumonitis has not cleared up. He is still on I.V. antibiotics for the pneumonitis. We have to wait for more approval from medicaid before he will get more therapy; hopefully we will get that approval soon. Gotta love all the red tape with healthcare...NOT!!!

4-19

UUGH!! I didn't get to spend my Monday with Zac like I usually do, instead it was orientation for my prn job at the hospital. I called and spoke with the nurses who said that poor Zac is coughing a lot and did not sleep well last night :(( Thank goodness the aide that takes really good care of Zac is working tonight and she said she would make sure that he gets his sleeping pill tonight.

via Jenny