Beer allergy? | FerrariChat

Beer allergy?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Gran Drewismo, May 28, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    This sounds like the setup to some lame joke, but I experience weird symptoms when drinking beer. After usually drinking one or more beers, I will commonly get a "full" feeling in my stomach along with a cloudy head (sometimes headache) and a sort of tunnel vision effect. This does not happen with hard alcohol or wine, and it's definitely not a sign of getting drunk!

I talked to my doctor and he advised this happens with micro-brews. I can confirm drinking microbrews does make it worse and with a smaller amount of beer.. I am perfectly fine never drinking beer again (never liked the taste anyway :) ), but I found this surprising. Not sure if "allergy" or saying I am allergic to beer is accurate.

Anyone on here experience the same thing?

2. MyMp4-12c

MyMp4-12c Rookie

Jul 23, 2012
    absolutely, it could also be a full fledged 'gluten allergy' or 'gluten intolerance'

some good substitutes around: ciders, woodchuck, Estrella is great: Need Some Beer? | Puja Blogs

3. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I agree.....try some Gluten Free or just stay away from beer.

4. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    I agree that it could be Gluten, I am GF for about 8 years now. Try redbridge or wine and see what happens, if no equal reaction then it narrows it down somewhat.

5. Brewman

Brewman Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2012
    NC Mountains @ Boone
    Full Name:
    Joe

Some beers are known to cause your symptoms due to an acid produced during the fermentation process. I have the same problem you describe. I have found that Miller Lite does not cause this problem. You might want to give it a try.

Brewman

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    could be an allergy to barley, a friend has that.

maybe get a patch test from an allergist?

7. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It can also be an allergy to hops, I had a friend that had that. Some micro brews are unfiltered so have a lot of solids in them that will make those allergies worse. You can narrow it down if you want, budweiser is pretty clean of any particulates, heffeweizens have a lot of wheat and yeast in them, IPA's have a ton of hops etc. See which one gives you a reaction.

8. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    This - sometimes called "congeners" or "congenerics". I homebrewed for years and found I was allergic to hops - I could smell them and start sneezing.

I happen to love IPAs and craft brews, but have since developed a similar allergy, except I will get itchy eyes and sneeze, like a cat is nearby.

I get something similar with wine too now. It must be yeast related, as wine doesn't have hops.

I can drink a few Miller Lites with no issue, but have moved to vodka as there is no such allergy ;)

9. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks guys for the info. I can confirm that beers like Bud Light, Miller Light, Corona, etc (non craft or microbrew) are much easier to ingest and don't have near the effect that other beers do. Interesting stuff all around.

10. apex97

apex97 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2006
    Stockbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Edward Zabinski
    I have had this issue and it has gotten serious enough that I just dont drink beer anymore. However I found that I can have one or two Miller 64's without much problem and actually its not too bad.

11. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'll try that too. Don't think I've ever had one.

Trust me, I am fine giving up beer. :)

12. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have this were certain micro's will stop me up and I'll start sneezing. Happens very quickly too... within a couple drinks of the beer.... (I thought I was the only one this happened too!!!)

13. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Not to take joy in your pain, but I'm definitely validated by this thread. I cannot drink beer because it makes me seriously ill. I know it's not a gluten thing because I went gluten free for 6 months & didn't notice a difference... so yeast seems to be the culprit as suggested above.

14. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    beer typically affects me more than Scotch/Brandy.
    I have an allergy to yeast, rag weed, mold.... mold being the only one that seems to be an issue. When it comes to beer, I can tell those with more yeast (pretty common in micro brews) will make me feel worse in the long run.

15. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Funny I usually get a reaction to the Ciders.
    Problem is I love the taste.
    My solution pop an alergy pill beforehand and all is good.

16. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Almost sounds like Reactive Hypoglycemia.

Reactive hypoglycemia: What causes it? - MayoClinic.com