BBQ Tour help request | Page 5 | FerrariChat

BBQ Tour help request

Discussion in 'Texas' started by arizonaitalian, Dec 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

This is great intel! Thanks!! Been stiffed twice at La BBQ.

https://la-barbecue-dffd.squarespace.com/preorders-1/

Their site says up to 5 days on preorders. No minimums. Can be done by email!

I feel a road trip coming on!!

T

2. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Salt Lick uses a combo of oak and pecan. Since I discovered that about 20 years ago, so have I.

3. Drldcohen

Drldcohen Rookie

Mar 20, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Larry
    Tom and WRS
    in Austin I will not wait for Franklins either
    Salt Lick is and has been good for years
    Several weeks ago Tanji Patton on Good Taste texas critiqued All Good BBQ on 71 slightly north of Lakeway
    We stopped and got ribs and brisket and sausage and I am going back On the weekend only they do Giant Beef Ribs
    If you try them i would be interested in your thoughts

4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Didn't know that! I use it because it literally falls from the heavens - we have 4 mature pecan trees on our property. After a t-storm, I can usually find oak around the neighborhood, or the neighbors may drop off a few limbs, but my pecan supply is more steady! And, more abundant. Pecan is particularly good IMO with chicken or pork...T

5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You can pre-order a chilled brisket @ Franklin's and cut the line. It comes with re-heating directions. It's not my favorite brisket, so I would not wait for hours on line. Mueller's and Snow's are better. Mine ain't too shabby.

All Good BBQ? Never heard of it, and I think I was on 71 earlier this week, albeit east, not west of Austin. Aha, I see it is in Spicewood. Have been to Opie's in Spicewood (very good when I was there!) some years back, bit not All Good. I feel a BBQ drive coming on, but, unfortunately, it's already hotting up down here...T

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

BTW, change in subject. There's a Cuban restaurant on SoCo across from St Eds. Really good, just don't praise Fidel while you're in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Its All Good is not far from me and I hear it is pretty good. Rocky Creek BBQ on Hamilton Pool Rd was the best in west county but he just retired and closed the place a few months ago. Opies brisket is pretty good but not a huge fan of the sausage.

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #108 fatbillybob, May 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    #109 tomc, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Couple of the famous places do high temperature smoking, most notably Kreuz, which my wife & I still think is the best of the famous Lockhart trio.

My Weber bullet defines the smoking range as 200 - 275.

With that open pit, I think the direct heat, rather than the temps, would put it closer to the grilling regime.

T

10. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Yes, over rated as a 25 year central Texan. But also too many CA people moving into the area...which is why many places are hyped.

I find Franklins a joke--tourist trap at it's finest. Oh well, so goes the city...

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I live 15 minutes or less away and I won't go there.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    All the Californians I know think Salt Lick crap. And none of us waits in line for food.

Probably ought to blame it on someone else.

13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I'm from cali and i like franklins fatty brisket. Melts in your mouth and needs no sauce.

And hey blame your gov on sucking cali business. What did you think was going to happen. LOL you just got a huge number or prius drivers moving into plano/dallas.

14. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    In Houston Gatlin's is my favorite. Rogel's is good, and Killens in pearl and is very good as well.

15. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I just saw rogels mentioned on Fox 26 when I turned the TV on this morning.

16. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Been there, it's OK but Chagos on N. Lamar is better but it's PR. My wife loves it because it's very close to Panamanian.

17. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    #117 wrs, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
    All that stuff has already been smoked, they are just glazing the meats there and keeping them warm and smoky in between and just prior to being cut. However, now that I noticed you are from California, that is how they do bbq in Santa Maria which is the only place in Cali I ever saw anything called bbq.

18. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Thanks for the info, will give them a try.

19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Good to know. I'll check it next time I'm in town. I suspect PR is very close to Cuban. I also like Puerto Rican food because we were stationed at the Navy base in San Juan when I was a little kid in the earl '60s, and I loved the food.

20. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2005
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul

Gents....

A new pack leader has sneaked up on most and over the last few months--snatched the gold ring... "2M BBQ" is off WW White on the East Side of San Antonio...

These guys are truly good...period. End of story.

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Pearland is what he meant to type...:D

I live near Gatlins, wonderful people.

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Great intel. That's near a sleepy little town around San Antone.

Gotta add it to my que to-do list, next time I'm visiting the hometown of my lovely bride!

T

23. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    #123 wrs, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK, so I am weighing in on a couple of the reco's on here. When we were visiting the daughter in Plano we got some Hard Eights at the new location in The Colony. So sorry but it's not any better than Bill Miller or Dickeys, i.e. not worth going to. My daughter and SIL both loved it so I was kind in my comments. The pork ribs were not very tasty but they were tender. The brisket was ordered chopped and it was OK but the sauce was sort of like ketchup. The sausage was fair and the shrimp poppers were not worth $25/lb.

OK so now to the second one which I just finished hogging out on. We went out to Lake LBJ to investigate second homes on the lake today and stopped at It's All Good on the way back. They happen to fix the beef rib on the weekend and so I got one. Man that is great. The sausage is A-1, the brisket is juicy but not real flavorful. The baby back ribs were also excellent.

I give them 85 at least. Their sauce is marginal but the meats are good enough not to need any. I really liked it. Didn't waste time with the sides but my wife ordered a bunch of them, creamed corn, green beans, pinto beans and potato salad. No wait because we arrived at 4:10pm on a Sunday afternoon. It's All Good but the sauce.

Still, I think Salt Lick is the best BBQ in Central Texas and I have lived here 43 years.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Hard Eights has quickly expanded from the original in Stephenville to half a dozen or so locations. So, perhaps quality has suffered? Give the original location a try. It's a fun drive in a fun car from Austin up 281 and you can stop off in Hico or Marble Falls for pie!
    T

25. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Yeah, that is what I thought because I have passed the Stephenville location a number of times heading to Oklahoma for bowling tournaments. I always thought it smelled good but never had the time to stop. I don't do the bowling anymore so I don't know if I would go out of my way to try that one. I remember it was at a stop sign location on 281. Not to many of those around.