BBi gear box **** problem | FerrariChat

BBi gear box **** problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by DonB, May 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    I posted this over on the Boxer Forum but thought I'd put it here too. Maybe somebody has some input?

BBi started balking at shifting into 2nd and third. After being parked for a few days I backed the car out of the garage to wash it and the gearbox is locked out of 2nd and 3rd gears. Reverse, 1st, 4th and 5th all engage just fine.
    Previous problem a couple of years ago was the car got stuck in 2nd, and could not be shifted from 2nd. Only after really jerking it out was I able to use all other gears but 2nd and 3rd. Adjustment on the shift rod inside the trans fixed the problem. No metal pieces/parts were found in the gear oil either. And all syncro's work fine. No grinding etc. nor has the car been driven "hard". Speed shifts or dumping the clutch, that sort of thing.

Also, no strange noises coming from "down under" on this go around either.

Anybody got any ideas as to what might be happening?

2. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    There is a turn buckle with 2 lock nuts between the shift lever and the gearbox. Not only does this turn buckle control the length of the rod; it also controls the orientation between the 3 shift gates. Very small changes in the rotation of the front rod to the rear rod can cause your problem. Put a reference line on each rod and make small changes This is a trial and error process. Be patient and you should be able to solve the problem.

3. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    THANKS!
    I really appreciate the info. I'll give it a try.

Don