BBC: The vintage car investment boom | FerrariChat

BBC: The vintage car investment boom

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Terra, Dec 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
  2. GWB

GWB Karting

Feb 18, 2007
    Houston Texas
    Full Name:
    Gavin Britz
    I have 3 classics cars for my enjoyment and they are not investments. People must realize nothing can go up at this rate forever

3. Splitting Atoms

Splitting Atoms Formula 3

Sep 18, 2011
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Eric
    When an investment is touted in the general news, its time to look for the exit.

I remember there was a ski resort that had an electronic display ON THE SLOPE with current NASDAQ and DOW values that constantly updated while the market was open. It must have been the winter of 1999/2000. I am sure it was not put back in service during the winter of 2000/2001.

There are a lot of "investments" that are currently overvalued in my opinion. look at utility stocks. They have multiples approaching 30!!! I was looking at auction estimates for Dinos in the upcoming auctions. The GTS models were estimated between 400k and 500k! Common Porsche 911s from the 1965 to 1967 time frame over 200k!

Its a crazy world we live in.

4. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    We refer to it as the Time Magazine effect. Once a fad makes it to Time you know its over.

5. GWB

GWB Karting

Feb 18, 2007
    Houston Texas
    Full Name:
    Gavin Britz
    I am worried about the world economy in general. It is in a mess and a few of us are realistic. These are my prime earning years and am really concerned about my future.

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It is feeling frothy. The problem is that as a car enthusiast I still feel pressure to sell now, but part of me says that I might not be able to buy my way back in if things don't retreat a bit. I don't think I'd pay the current market value for my Porsche. And much as I love the Dinos I wouldn't spend $500K on one with any confidence I'd see that money again.

Will be interesting to see what happens in Arizona next month and into the spring. The attractive sports car buys right now feel like '80s 911s and Ferraris.

7. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    As long as the EU banks are charging negative interest the market for classics will remain strong.

8. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    You can sell yours, I keep mine. Spend too much time chasing them and have too much fun driving / racing them, so long I can drive and race will keep some even if rotating cars by selling some and buying new ones. Does not have to be static, but when you have been collecting for last 30 years you have seen enough cycles and you know what you like,,,hopefully,,at least more than money,,,,

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    JP Morgan said something along the lines that when the shoe shine boy gives you stock advice, its time to sell.

That said, I don't think the appreciation is over- but I do think the rate is likely to slow down- it might even slow considerably.

I look at this as very similar to artwork. And the only advice I can think that applies is buy what you can afford and what you love because if the market moves on you- you'll still have the object.