Bay Area Icons | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Bay Area Icons

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by PeterS, Oct 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I thought that was Ed Barberra (Barbara? Barbar? something like that) of Furniture USA.

How about the infectious jingle, "Pete Ellis Dodge, 10-95 West El Camino Re-al Sunny-vale" or that store whose locations were sung out, "Dublin, Berkeley [something] [something] [something] San Jose"?

2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    I've been there, but they wanted something like $7 to go to the top. No thanks, it's not THAT much higher elevated. From the ground below Coit Tower you can still see great views of SF and the bay.

Another icon...the Light Tower at Point Reyes.

3. ipohopper

ipohopper Karting

Nov 5, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Vik
    Yup. That's the guy! From Furniture USA!

4. DChan415

DChan415 Rookie

Oct 27, 2007
    Doggie diner is my best memory from going to the SF Zoo when I was 5-6 years old...

5. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Dublin, Berkeley, San Lorenzo, Cupertino , San Jose

if I recall correctly... and I'm not a bay area guy.

6. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    roller derby...jerry seltzer's version.every sunday nite.

7. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Ira Blue, KGO talk show host during the 60's and early 70's.

8. Murciii

Murciii Karting

Jun 12, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    what about skate world(i think thats what it was called) on stevens creek and san tomas behind marlins car wash...across the street from where kiddie world used to be

9. ipohopper

ipohopper Karting

Nov 5, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Vik
    The name sound familiar but it might have been before my time.

Does anyone remember Perry Stone and Trish Bell from KSJO in late 80's. He used to be a "shock jock". Mostly a Howard Stern impersonator. He got kicked off the air for talking about crack while interviewing girl scouts on his show.

10. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA

11. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #161 SonomaRik, Oct 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    ok, here is a tourista' video from the 30's

http://www.archive.org/details/SanFranc1932

anyone remember :

- play land of the pacific,
    - fleishacher pool
    - Windmill at Sunset beach

WHEN : AND I have photos to prove, it: there were like 5 BofA's on Market alone, and everyone wore gloves, hats, and dressed up to "go to the 'city'".
    it's SAN FRANCISCO or the CITY not f$(#(#co . if someone says FRIS#(O they aren't from CA.

don't forget all the rock bands that are great here:

GREEN ONION.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Anybody remember Don Sherwood, the disk jockey?

Art

13. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    of course. Don Sherwood in the morning. BTW, I hear KYA and KFRC is making a comeback.

14. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    Don Sherwood. What a total crack up. Seems to me that he had an a.m. show on KSFO. About Frisco. My dad had taken the famly to see Dany Kaye at the Curran Theatre in the early 50's. Front row center seats. Ya know...all dressed up. Suit and tie. Anyway about 1/2 way through the performance Kaye came to center stage and sat down with his legs dangling in the orch pit. The first thing out of his mouth was 'why do San Franciscans not their town to be called Frisco'? Just then an earthquake hit and I rembember standing up and looking up at the swaying celing. My father picked me up and was just about to drop me in the orch pit when the quake stopped. People were screaming and heading to the exits.....some panicked as I recall. Kaye callmed the crowd and vowed to never call San Francisco...that other name again. Sometime 51 or 52. True story.

15. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    #165 PeterS, Oct 29, 2007
    KFAT !!! Late night radio had never been better. Would sit around the radio drinking beer all night with my buddies listening to this station. Great music and funny spoof commercials. Phil Hendry gets close to the entertainment value this station had.

16. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Now that's class!

For me, an SF Icon was UNOs pizza on Lombard st. Many a happy visit with the family driving 45min into the 'city' specifically to eat there. Now it's some east-coast pizza joint, unremarkable.

Also, taking 45min to get into 'the city' while the sun is still up.

17. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
  18. Cannoli

Cannoli Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Norman
    I remember that too ... and for me, Highway 85 South of I-280 always shown on maps as "proposed".

19. Cannoli

Cannoli Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Norman
    Calling freeways by names is soooo SoCal! It took me a while to adjust when I moved down to L.A., and frankly I still don't know all of the names. One habit I've succumbed to is putting a the word "the" before the freeway names.

In the Bay Area, it is common to say "take 101 North to 17 South", where as in SoCal one would say "take the 405 North to the 10 West" or in name-speak, "take the San Diego freeway North to the Santa Monica freeway West".

I remember a Tonight Show skit with Johnnie making a joke about all the different freeways and their names.

The only freeway names in the Bay Area I could remember was the Nimitz (HWY 17 (before it became I-880) North of the 101 to I-80) the Bayshore (101 from SJ to SF). And of course there was the "Blood Alley" names - take your pick ... 17 from SJ to Santa Cruz or the 101 South of San Jose to Morgan Hill ... the Monterey Highway.

20. Cannoli

Cannoli Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Norman

Can you image the Golden Gate damned up? The U.S. Army Corp of Engineers did! To plan for California's population growth, it was considered to damn the SF Bay at the Golden Gate to capture all of the fresh water from the Delta. Unfortunately, because of the limited depth of the SF Bay, especially in the South Bay, the rate of evaporate would be greater than the inflow of water from the Delta. This study was performed before the bridge was built.

There is a scale model of the Bay Area including portions of the Delta that the Corp used to determine the effects of damning the Golden Gate. It is a great model to see, and it is still used today (for EIR studies).

Here's a link to the Bay Model Visitor Center in Sausalito:

http://www.spn.usace.army.mil/bmvc/

21. Cannoli

Cannoli Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Norman
    #171 Cannoli, Oct 30, 2007
  22. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #172 SonomaRik, Oct 30, 2007
    sorry old school

23. 289FIA_Cobra

289FIA_Cobra Karting

Sep 6, 2007
    I remember the Windmills, (My niece was married at one of them, closest to Fulton St.)
    I remember Fleishacker Pool (next to the Zoo); stood on the remaining platform before it was demolished. Looked scary and the wind didn't help any.
    I remember Playland. Went there a number of times. Never got the chance to run the go-karts (too young.) You probably know then the fake mountain at the old Sutro Baths area.

Now here's one that just flashed in my memory banks. You crest California Street heading east, past Mark Hopkins and the Fairmont, you head down and do you recall.....

The Playboy Club? Yup. We had one and it's "bunny" was quite prominent (near the Channle 7 logo). Too bad they couldn't keep it. ;)

24. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

25. BlakeChow

BlakeChow Rookie

Jul 16, 2005
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Blake Chow