Bay Area "Crystal Cove" | FerrariChat

Bay Area "Crystal Cove"

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Baasha, Jun 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    Okay guys... Isn't it time us Norcal folks put together a weekly exotic "meet"? I mean, somewhat similar to Crystal Cove although perhaps there aren't as many exotics up here but I'm sure we can get a decent amount of awesome cars to congregate in one area at least once a week. What do you think? Let me know your opinion on this one.

I was thinking Alice's Restaurant on the junction of Skyline Blvd. and Hwy. 84 would be an awesome place for a cool Saturday morning along with the many sportbikes that come there every weekend.

I think it's time we started our "own" CC thread. LOL

2. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    That's an excellent drive.

vince

3. Itzkirb

Itzkirb F1 Veteran

Apr 30, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Kirby
    Funny you mentioned this…

I'm currently in the process of setting something like this up. Not every Saturday yet, but one Saturday a month. I'm also, working with a few dealerships to bring out some nice cars. Coffee, pastries, etc...

Location is bring worked on, but it will be somewhere in the peninsula. Early morning so everyone has their afternoons free still.

4. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    I'd be up for a drive this weekend and certain would like a montlhly event. It doesn't need to be fancy w food drink etc. A meet at coffee shop followed by a 20-50 mi drive is good enough for me. Alice restaurant is a good place. Any other coffee shop w a large parking lot on the pennisula is good too.

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I think Alice's might be out of the way for a lot of epople and prevents some of the wilder cars (Enzo, CGT, etc) from showing up.

I would say keep it a little east of the mountains. The problem with the bay area isn't the lack of cars (to be honest, I think there are many more, and much nicer, cars up here) - the problem is that there are myriad car communities and they are all highly segregated (you don't see the Martin Swigs or Candy Store types mingling much with the sunday morning breakfast crew, etc).

--Dan

6. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Great idea as long as at least one month is farther north!!

7. storminnormin

storminnormin Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2002
    California
    This is a great idea. I agree that access will make or break this. Perhaps somewhere with a nice parking lot and access to coffee. Stanford Mall parking lot. Stonestown in SF. Strawberry Village Mall in Mill Valley (adjacent to Sonnen Porsche, across Hwy 101 from FoSF). To name a few. I'd be happy to help organise.
    Norm

8. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    IF anyone wants to do Alice's this weekend let me know, i'll be doing it.

vince

9. maquino

maquino Karting

Jun 22, 2005
    At the risk of overcomplicating this ...

Presumably there are concentrations of Ferraris in the East Bay, on the Peninsula, and in SF/North Bay. So what about a 3-location-rotating schedule: Ferrari Redwood City, Ferrari Mill Valley, and Auto Affair Danville?

There is a nice Italian restaurant with big parking lot adjacent to Ferrari in Mill Valley, and possibly the dealership might welcome us as well in some way.

Auto Affair is a Ferrari-intensive enthusiast shop at 400 Sycamore Canyon Road, Danville, in a cosy shopping center with plenty of parking and several nice eateries.

I don't know what parking/restaurants might be around Ferrari Redwood City, but it seems to have something of a snackbar or mini-coffeshop of its own.

10. Fyrrari

Fyrrari Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    David
    I have been following this thread and certainly agree with Maquino. We are a bit spread out here and if we picked some differnet locations (as mentioned) it could work. I did not see this as a "overcomplication", but as a possible solution.

...And speaking of (the Auto Enthusiast in Danville) I think Hot Danville nights will be coming up for a few nights in July and August. The two dates that I know of are July 28th and August 11th.

Does anyone here hit that?

David
    91 Mondial

11. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    I am new to the F-car world, but why would you say that Alice's prevents "nicer" cars from showing up there? Skyline is one of the nicest roads in the Bay Area. Furthermore, I think that being in somewhat of a natural surrounding is better than congregating in a shopping district--although Stanford Shopping Center maybe a good idea on occasion.

Rotating the meeting place is a pretty good idea however if we are to make this like CC, it has to be the same place; then sooner rather than later, it will be known to the entire Bay Area--like CC is known is SoCal. Also, if the meets are at Alice's (breakfast, coffee etc.), the possible routes for drives are greater--Highway 1 (San Gregorio State Beach), Hwy 92, Skyline Blvd., Hwy 84 etc.

Anyway, what other places do you guys suggest? I would recommend avoiding crowded areas for several reasons. Also, let's try to make these meets on Saturday mornings.

Oh yea, I'm am DOWN to start this thing THIS Saturday at Alice's. Who's in?

12. srwhitman

srwhitman Karting

Mar 15, 2005
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott Whitman
    There's another thread on this theme in the Northern California section about a drive on July 4. Problem is - at least in my mind - its way far away. Too far for me. I can't do a drive on Saturday but Sunday or Monday would be cool. I have a friend who has a Lotus Elan - he and I were going to do a drive one of these days. Along the Peninsula would be cool. I've never done the Alice's restaurant thing but I've heard about it. Someone else mentioned some road to La Honda. I don't know these roads too well. Stanford Mall would be a perfect place to meet in my mind. Is there some place to get breakfast there and then head on out?

Scott

13. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    Yo,
    First of all, this thread is about REGULAR meets. I think the July 4th meet was just for that day. However, the Skyline/Hwy. 84 drive is simply astonishing--especially in an F-car. Alice's is located at the junction of those two "roads". Alice's is also a great place to get breakfast. That's the point really, drive up there somewhat early, and eat breakfast along with the huge number of sportbikers. However, if you like a city-like atmosphere then Stanford Park Hotel is great to get breakfast--although a little formal setting in my opinion. It's right next to the Stanford Mall. Let me know if you want to cruise up to Alice's this weekend.

14. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    I'm up for Alice's on Sat.

vince

15. srwhitman

srwhitman Karting

Mar 15, 2005
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott Whitman
    Ok, I get it. Alice's sounds fine. I could do Monday morning (7/4). I may be able to do Sunday morning. I have to take my wife/kids to the airport early. I could then come back, get the F-car, and meet you guys there if Sunday morning is doable. I would imagine I'd get there around 8:30ish. Hard to tell though as I don't know how far a drive it is from my house and since I have to take the family to the airport I can't take my F-car from there :-(.

Scott

16. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    You have a PM.

17. diablo roadster

diablo roadster Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2004
    Mountain View
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I too was thinking about looking into something like CC.

I think the best way to handle the situation would be to split it in half. Where ever it ends up, there will always be people saying that it is too far, and will take too long, to get to. Thats just how the bay area has grown. It would probably be easiest to set up a North/South Bay, or West/East Bay meets for each week. Making them at the same time and day would make it less confusing for people. You could make one on one day and the other the next, but then people might get confused and drive and show up at the wrong place the wrong day.

If it catches on, then I would think that something would be able to be aranged where both groups could meet at one of their spots the last weekend of the month (as an example). that way, each group could have a nice little rally atleast once a month, and it would bring together cars that you dont see every week.

CC has worked because it just started simple. The consistancy of it is what has made it grown over the years. There have been 2 newer gatherings that have started (northern LA and in SD) for the people who live further and dont want to always want to make the drive to CC.

That's my 2 cents.

18. FerrariSoon

FerrariSoon Karting

May 18, 2005
    Hey that wasn't your black VT parked in Palo Alto today was it?

I think a CC type meet in the Bay Area would be awesome - something near SF might work well for a central location too. There is the base at Alameda that is open for the public, it makes for some awesome photo shoots (my friend discovered that one).

19. diablo roadster

diablo roadster Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2004
    Mountain View
    Full Name:
    Martin
    nope. i dont own one

20. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    How many down for Sun at 10am at Alice? We can make this a recurring meet if enuf show up.

21. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Won't Alice's be packed with motorcycles by then?

I'll show up, why not?

--Dan

22. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Sure, I'll be there.

Gary

23. exoticalex

exoticalex Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Walnut Creek, Ca
    Full Name:
    Alex L
    Today's meet was pretty damn good I must say. Too bad Vince couldnt come along for the drive... although we did get stuck behind some idiot in a Honda for a few miles... otherwise it was an awesome drive

Hope to see some more F-chat people out there in the upcoming meets.

-Alex

24. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    10 AM Alice's, see you there

25. taber

taber Formula 3

Mar 4, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name: