Battery Replacement, ECU Reset Procedures attached | FerrariChat

Battery Replacement, ECU Reset Procedures attached

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by whatheheck, May 31, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Here you go for sharing.

In case some of you are not aware most batteries are only good for about 4 years max. Anytime after that and it will fail on you when least expected so I suggest you replace your battery preventively when its near 4 years old before it throws nuisance fault lights and weird electrical issues on you as Ferrari's are very sensitive to low voltage.

I have a 2016 California T that I just bought last week. I asked the dealer to replace the battery before I took ownership and they happily did.

When my car arrived at my home & the shipper started the engine it had a weird clunking sound coming from under the car. My car is a CPO so I was not worried.

To make a long story short I determined that most likely the dealer did not do an ECU reset procedure to reset all the parameters after they changed the battery. So I followed the procedures on the attached copy from the workshop manual (info also available on your owners manual) and the problem went away.

Thought I'd share.

Please see attached and hope this info helps some of you.

Dan

Attached Files:

2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Here's the owners manual version.

Dan

Attached Files:

MacNugget and lucasines like this.
  3. cali2012

cali2012 Karting

Apr 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Giulio
    Very helpful, thank you.

whatheheck likes this.
  4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You're welcome!

Dan

5. davidtopp

davidtopp Karting

Jun 7, 2019
    UAE
    Full Name:
    David Topp
    Yes, Thanks Dan. I am always disconnecting in order to preserve battery life and generally follow the guidelines with the exception of locking and unlocking the boot lid and doors with the key first. Now I understand why my boot lid switch does not always work afterwards.
    Appreciate the head's up.

whatheheck likes this.
  6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You’re welcome David.

Dan

7. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    Here is something I don t get : if
    this procedure is not followed correctly, the buttons in the passenger compartment for opening the
    luggage compartment lid, locking/unlocking the doors and releasing the fuel filler flap will be
    disabled.

What buttons are they talking about ? Passenger compartment? I have these buttons on the driver side but on the passenger ?

8. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Passenger compartment would be inside the car -- where both driver and passenger sit. A quirk of the English, perhaps. They mean the buttons on the driver's side.

whatheheck likes this.
  9. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Vic is correct Olivier, its a quirk in the use of English language or choice of words.

The only buttons we are aware of are the ones close to the driver side in the US market cars.

Same confusing words as "driver side". Is that looking from the front of the car, or from the back of the car?
    After numerous discussions I learned that "driver side" means from a "normally seated position".
    So driver side is the Left Side.

Dan

10. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    Thanks guys. I did not complete the procedure and I had to disconnect the battery many times before replacing it due to the car displaying crazy behaviours. But never got any issue with the buttons.
    Would you recommend to unplug the battery and conduct both procedures ? Doors and sensors ?

11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I don't have the text your looking at but driver's side is irrespective of front/back since its always the side the driver seat is on.

12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Yes, my recommendation is to disconnect the battery & do a full system reset.

13. 355GD

355GD Rookie

Apr 10, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Full Name:
    Graham Dark
    Is that correct, it states to unlock then lock the car, then open the boot. If I do that the alarm goes off?

14. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You need to unlock and open the trunk using the remote control just like the service manual says.

The alarm will not go off as unlocking the trunk using the remote disables the alarm system.

15. 355GD

355GD Rookie

Apr 10, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Full Name:
    Graham Dark
    Thanks for the PDF extracts from the service and owners manual. I spoke to a local F tech and he pointed out that there is a typo in those documents. His advice after reconnecting the battery was to lock, unlock, lock and then unlock using the key fob. Then open the boot/trunk. Did that and then carried on with the procedure to allow the ECU to adapt.

Prior to this reset I had a System Not Programmed error on the TFT display, tried everything to reset it. Then I got an Engine Management failure warning, although the car still drove OK. The F tech said that any one bit of data missing can cause this error and the batter disconnect and reset should clear it, which it did. Now back to normal. The manuals state to unlock, then lock the car, then open the trunk which did not make sense leaving the car locked.

16. JohnInItaly

JohnInItaly Karting

Feb 5, 2019
    California
    Full Name:
    John McCoy
    I changed my own battery and did not intentionally do any reset. The trunk and gas cap door did not open in the garage, but did work after a short drive. There were no other issues. I did install a disconnect switch on my negative battery terminal for when I do not use the car for a month or more, after killing a brand new battery after 14 months. Clock does need to be reset after every disconnect. I will print the reset instructions kindly provided in this thread and report back in the future, along with my experience abandoning the factory trickle charger in favor of the larger Optima charger/maintainer attached directly to an Optima yellow top battery of rectangular shape (not round can type). That battery fit perfectly with no modifications and I am hoping for a long and trouble free experience.

whatheheck likes this.
  17. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for sharing.

Dan

18. Atilla The Great

Mar 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Atilla Zeren
    Hello Dan,

Do you mind if you can share the full manual for 2016 Cali T.

[email protected]

19. SVCarEnthusiast

Jan 14, 2020
    Los Altos
    This is really useful. Wondering if the battery on my (new to me) '16 Cali T is the original battery or if it has been replaced. It doesn't look like the month/year has really been marked clearly on it. It was a good idea to have the dealer swap for a new battery when initially purchasing the car -- I failed to ask that.

I have had a few gremlins so far (infotainment center blacking out completely, had to disconnect battery for 10 minutes and then it is fine) and the roof sometimes thinks it is blocked and won't fully open even though nothing is in the trunk obstructing it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I would recommend just getting rid of the factory battery, they are known to be not-so-great. An Odyssey or Interstate would be a cost-effective replacement, if you want a really great battery look at a Braille.

The roof issue is likely to be a bad sensor if it's stopping midway ... that can be a bear to chase down but it should be covered if the car is CPO.

Bill Phillips and whatheheck like this.
  21. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    I just replaced the battery on my new to me 2017 CaliT with the Braille. I received it from Fl to CT in 3 days via UPS. The swap was easy, maybe 20 minutes. Just make sure you can lift 56lbs with one arm, otherwise get someone to help you. After I did the change, the car actually drove smoother. The only explanation I can figure is that I suspect that the ECU kept resetting and erasing the learning that it does and the changes to the fuel map because of low voltage issues.

whatheheck likes this.
  22. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I agree with Vic, your battery looks original so I would recommend replacing it.

Battery is cheap replacement and avoids any possible electrical low voltage issues.

Dan

23. SVCarEnthusiast

Jan 14, 2020
    Los Altos
    Great, thanks. The vehicle is still under CPO -- will the dealer give me any issues if I swap out the battery for a Braille myself and then end up having electrical issues? Where is the best place to buy one of the Braille batteries online and have it shipped to California? Thanks

24. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    My 2016 Cali T battery was replaced by the dealer before my purchase 2 years ago.
    They installed an Interstate Battery.

I had Interstate battery on my 360 Spider and F430 Spider and never had any issues.
    I can highly recommend them.

Batteries are only good for about 4 years max to my experience so I replace batteries preventively before they fail.

Nothing worse than an exotic car that's stranded on the road waiting for a flat bed for a simple battery failure issue.
    Batteries are cheap insurance for ensuring a well running car electrical voltage supply wise.

f355spider and SLViper1 like this.