Barn Find/Kentucky | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Barn Find/Kentucky

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by Gershwin, Dec 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I agree... good time for a 'bump'.... updates?

Jedi

2. konatown

konatown F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2009
    Evansville, IN
    Full Name:
    Kyle Swickard
    What a great looking house.

Looks a lot like the place my uncle found on the Red River near Clifty Falls.

3. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Paranormal activity? If you only knew. I suspect my sanity thus far has vacated.

Update - an administrative nightmare untangling a 150 yr estate from the original family that has been at odds w/ one another before the Hatfield's and McCoy's.

Good solutions sometimes take time to come to fruition. This one is nearing its critical mass.

I'll provide an update in the next 30-60 days.

4. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    Thanks for the update. We all wish you the best of luck (and look forward to seeing the place, please)

5. JoeGuitar

JoeGuitar Formula Junior

May 27, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Wow...I just revisited this thread and am still very intrigued. I hope that the headache of settling the estate is going smoothly. Look forward to hearing about how this pans out and the progression thereafter.

6. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Any more pictures?

7. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Or in at least 92... ;)

8. GFUracing

GFUracing Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2005
    Ahwatukee Foothills
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Its been a while since i've checked here, I was looking for updates as well. What a amazing story.

9. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    !!!!!UPDATE!!!!!

:)

10. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Finally. so where are the updated pics?

11. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I have to jump here just to keep track. I am a big fan of architecture.
    This would be a great place to make a movie if nothing else.

12. .:bigred12

.:bigred12 Karting

Apr 26, 2010
    Clarence/Ithaca, NY
    Full Name:
    Tom
    updates x4!!!

13. heel n toe

heel n toe Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    i see an extremely expensive can of worms about to be open..if you have any hair on your head shave it because you'll be too tempted to pull it out in the course of renovation!good luck your a brave soul

14. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I spent 15 years in the construction trade and was one of many that worked on a continuing restoration/remodel/expansion of a 100 year old house in Seattle that went on for more than a decade. I never did see it finished.

The most important lesson I learned was this, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN CHEAPER TO KNOCK THE PLACE DOWN AND RECREATE IT FROM THE GROUND UP, PERIOD!!

15. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Hi Folks - I wish I had a positive update.

The sellers have proven far more difficult to deal w/ than the restoration project could have ever been itself. I can deal w/ the sticks-n-bricks; I couldn't deal, nor could anyone for that matter w/ a family group that is known across the county that have a feud stretching back 25 years. Not long in these parts but certainly a deep and nasty senseless battle. I wouldn't disclose these details earlier as I believed patience and persistence and an ounce of common sense might persuade them to put aside their petty bickering before this beautiful gem surpassed its decaying presence. However often is the case when a home like this is passed from one generation to the next the grace and dignity of the prior ancestry gets lost and is diluted. Hence, the current disrepair and hence the sad conclusion this house will one day be lost.

So off to the next barn find!!

16. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Did you think to try to swap a bass boat and monster truck for it? Sorry for the outcome.

17. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007

been there done that. Sometimes it's just not worth the hassle.

18. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Um, believe me no rock wasn't turned over. The weird thing is they all wanted it preserved they just weren't capable of sustaining peace long enough to figure out how to split up the dollars. In the end, they deserve one another and who knows - these things have a way of coming about.

That does remind me I do have a bass boat now for sale. Anyone interested in a Black/tan 2001 Lund Pro-V 19.7ft - loaded w/ custom tandem trailer? PM me if so - seriously not kidding;)