Barn Find/Kentucky | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Barn Find/Kentucky

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by Gershwin, Dec 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Gershwin
    I would love to look at the house next time you are out there even if your deal doesn't work out. It would be interesting to see the similarities and differences to the 100 year old I am doing a remodel on in the Highlands. If they are questionable on having viewers, I am a contractor and you can tell them you wanted someone to have a look.

2. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Re: Geo: No - hot water spring - but the house is served by a cold water spring, has been since its inception. I was thinking of abandoning that - however now I'm thinking of using it as a supplemental.
    Is it possible to transfer/convert the geo system heat in to an electric load via battery or other means?

3. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    #78 Gershwin, Dec 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Roger that:

It may take 6-8 weeks. I'll get w/ you via PM

Here are a couple neat items in one of the barns
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    It's not bondo it actually adds structural support. The rot is then fixed with crackshot which can be molded and sands as easy as joint compound.

To the OP, do you know if there is support inside the columns or are they hallow. If you buy this place and fix it up can we have a f-chat dinner there? That would be FUN!!!

5. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I am not familier with a unit that would use the spring to "cool" unless it is a serious, gushing 10-20gal/min spring. :D

What I would do would be to bite the built and install a few central air units and run the duct the best you can... which should not be that hard. Radical tech like you are thinking would be glitchy and mega expensive IMO. I have honestly never seen one even in places like Yellowstone that were not, say, a fashion statement. Sadly, we are just not that good at them yet.

(Oh I love the cider press! I used to have one but my old dog killed it.)

6. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    I call dibs if you find a 250 in the barn!

7. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

When we installed our central air, it was much easier than I expected. AC in the attic with ducts that drop into 2nd floor ceilings. Period. First floor has such high ceilings and crappy insulation that the cold air drops nicely into the first floor. At this point, we have no forced cold air on the first floor of the house and its perfectly livable. The kitchen has a window unit, because without forced cold air, our stove puts out WAY too much heat and the room would get roasting hot.

Heat is boiler driven, and radiators are in use throughout the house (except in Luca's playroom which is an upstairs sunroom/solarium.... it was too far of a push to get good steam, so we installed baseboard electric, built into some nice toychests.)

I spent long time investigating the flexible tube AC systems that you see on This Old House and such. Everyone I spoke with said it was very noisy and less efficient than a good ol AC sitting in the attic.

8. cessnav8or

cessnav8or Formula 3

May 28, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    From what I understand Geothermal heat pumps are usually not connected to an underground sping. They are closed loop systems where they bury a pipe or series of pipes in the gruond and pump a water/antifreeze mix through. Since the temperature is about 50-55 degrees year around at certain depths the water/antifreeze mix will be heated or cooled and ran back though te heat pump decreasing the amount of energy the heat pump would need to use to heat/cool a house.

9. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    That sounds like it would work for cooling but not at all for heating. Look at it this way, you will likely never let your house go below 60deg. So a circulation of 55deg exchangers on the return is not going to help at all in winter. In fact it will hurt if turned on.

In summer however, I see it could make a good deal of difference.

10. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    With a geothermal system, rather than blowing air across the cold evaporator to warm it up, as you do in a conventional heat pump, you use the ground temperature, typically around 50F, to warm the refrigerant. Remember! The heat pump does not use the 50F ground temperature directly to warm your house! It only adds energy to the refrigerant. The compressor adds more energy to the refrigerant, heating it up to well above 100F, and this hot refrigerant is what heats your home

11. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    I should've expected you'd ask such questions.

The balance of the land will continue to remain in agriculture (soybean/corn).

They have a fair number of hunters - folks that work on the ag. also hunt it. ..bummer.

12. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Thats why we've bought tons a acreage around the Mt House. So we can control it as much as posable.

13. cessnav8or

cessnav8or Formula 3

May 28, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I can hear Adam crying right now. He was certain his buddy Gershwin had found a new hunting area. :)

14. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    I've already got hunting ground up the road for you and Adam and I'm telling you it is ripe for the picking.

15. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    PS -like the new avatar ;)

16. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Have you looked at the mini-splits for A/C. They work great to cool single rooms or multiple rooms.

17. cessnav8or

cessnav8or Formula 3

May 28, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Thanks yours I still think is pretty cool too.

18. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    I'd like to know this as well! Looks like tons of clutter!

19. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I just want to know if there is deer out there. :)

20. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I've got turkeys if you want one of them..... or 30.

21. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I think I am turkeyed out. I maxed out on my turkey tags this year. But maybe springtime turkey! :)

22. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I've got close to 500 acres now, no tags needed. :p

Oh and if anyone wonders why I would hate turkeys, ever seen a turkey bomb a F348 from 50 ft? It like a whale took a **** on you.

23. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I would be more than happy to take care of them Turkeys for you. Just tell me when.

24. cessnav8or

cessnav8or Formula 3

May 28, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    If you go turkey hunting at Docs place. I will go with you to NC you can hunt the turkeys I will take the 308 out driving on the tail of the dragon.

25. GFUracing

GFUracing Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2005
    Ahwatukee Foothills
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Great pics! I love those old houses. Any updates on the home? or on the previous owners? I'm up for a road trip if you ever have a housewarming party! Have you had any paranormal activity since starting to renovate?