Barcelona Testing 2019 (Circuit de Catalunya) | Page 33 | FerrariChat

Barcelona Testing 2019 (Circuit de Catalunya)

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Feb 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Gracious that thing is just immaculate. He’s not fighting the wheel, he’s taking alternate lines through some areas due to the level of downforce, super stable front end. Literally a Sunday church drive on a quiet road.

ricksb and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Well said, Sid.
    So we got this hybrid formula because the manufacturers wanted to develop and showcase their "green" technology as we transition from ICE to Formula E, right? I know that the fuel flow/load is tightly regulated and that the fuel must meet rigid specifications but I have never seen any emissions data for these cars. How green are they in reality? Last season Ferrari had a period when they erupted an oil smoke bomb on start-up, and Mercedes has been observed in testing trailing oil smoke. Anyone care to chime in?

SimCity3 and daytona355 like this.
  3. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Thanks for posting this! W09 definitely does not look as planted at the front end as the new Ferrari. Lewis sawing at the wheel at a number of places.

Igor Ound and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  4. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    Really cool driving perspective from Kimi's visor cam. Just wish it had been a real lap.

daytona355 likes this.
  5. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    That’s really why everyone is saying Ferrari has more in the bag than they’ve shown. That car is as steady as I’ve seen.

338Lapua, classic308 and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  6. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #806 338Lapua, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    I normally don't say anything on the F1 thread, but after watching the video of Seb, you can see just how stable the Ferrari is. It is a dramatic difference from Hamilton's lap (yes, I know the Mercedes is last years car). What we don't know is how hard was Hamilton pushing the car. If he was trying to extract everything out of it, then I can see him fighting the car. Regardless, if the Ferrari is as stable as it appears and there is more performance left, I would surmise that Ferrari made a substantial leap this year.

This pretty much sums it up.

daytona355 likes this.
  7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    All you can gather from testing is who’s in troubles imo

8. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Ferrari appear to have little trouble if they can make it reliable. Development over time will be key as well.

daytona355 likes this.
  9. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    That’s where we lack unfortunately. I put it down to the massive media attention Ferrari attracts, which takes energies and focus away from in-season developments.

classic308 and william like this.
  10. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

These hybrids are neither green or cheap.

What next in sport- silk boxing gloves instead of leather ?

daytona355 likes this.
  11. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141872/honda-engine-packaging-a-bit-too-aggressive -
    Honda's F1 engine packaging is 'a bit too aggressive' for 2019

The packaging of Honda's Formula 1 engine was a "little bit too aggressive" in pre-season testing and the manufacturer is planning fixes in time for the Australian Grand Prix.

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner lauded the installation of Honda's engine as "a thing of beauty" at the start of pre-season testing at Barcelona, while Honda said it had not come at the cost of reliability.

Neither Honda teams suffered major concerns in Spain but its F1 technical director Toyoharu Tanabe has admitted he was made "nervous sometimes" as new partner Red Bull and Toro Rosso got to grips with the 2019 product.

Tanabe told Autosport he was "not confident enough" with the progress that had been made, despite the manufacturer's best pre-season performance since returning to the F1 grid in 2015.

"We don't have a serious problem with the current installation, but we found some issues because of the tight packaging," said Tanabe.

"The shape was a little bit too aggressive, so we need to make it a little bit different.

"It's not a big concern."

Honda applied some fixes at the track but will also amend the design at the factory to introduce a "permanent countermeasure" in time for the season-opening Australian GP on March 17.

daytona355, Nortonious and william like this.
  12. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yep. Btw I like Binotto thus far. All work, very humble. Doesn’t seem interested or sidetracked by the circus.

13. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Best times ever at the Circuit. Need I say it......"Bring back the V-10's" ????

And that's because the cars in 2005 had narrower front & rear wings, narrower chassis, narrower floor, NO DRS, grooved tyres/tires, no Ultra-soft, hyper-soft, super soft tyres/tires, WAY LESS AERO bits throughout the car and the suspension used coil-over springs.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Finlander likes this.
  14. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Ah, 2005. Those were the days. :)

stavura, jgonzalesm6 and Bas like this.
  15. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Alfa Romeo: what happened to the C38 that had amazed in the first test session?

"A final consideration: Ferrari and Haas suffered from problems with discharges, C38 no. It is not due to the fact that on the Alfa Romeo there are two small wastegate outlets, in place of the only one bigger than the other two cars, as the fact that the American team followed that of the Cavallino in the construction of pipes with the minimum thickness, while in Hinwil they decided a less extreme solution for two reasons: unquestionably lower costs and longer life ..."

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/alfa-romeo-che-fine-ha-fatto-la-c38-che-aveva-stupito-nella-prima-sessione-di-test/4346982/&prev=search

16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    If the sims (that some drivers use) are of any representation...the downforce of the 2017+ cars is enormous vs the 2004 cars. Mechanical grip is loads higher also.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  17. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Track has a different format from the 1995-2006 layout. That "double chicane" at the end was non-existent. Hard to compare those results to today's from a timing standpoint (these cars are probably lapping faster though).

Now, if we talk sound, spectacle, atmosphere, there is no comparison.

Bas and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  18. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I agree, the advantage of the v10 cars were sound, everything else the modern cars trump it - superior speed, aero, grip,tire tech, efficiency, safety etc

william likes this.
  19. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Sound and nostalgia.

We tend to prefer things from the past we are comfortable with, rather than explore the future and what in may bring.

I struggle with that everyday myself!

20. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Okay, we've seen the vid. But how about the sound now added.

daytona355 likes this.
  21. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    "It's Seb's fault...." Knee-jerk Scuderia fan.

That's scary. That shouldn't happen, and I'm certain (hoping) it was a one-off event based on something machining the rim and causing the failure