Bahrain Race ***warning***spoiler*** | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Bahrain Race ***warning***spoiler***

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by andrewg, Mar 12, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    By mediocre car you mean 2nd best on the grid, right?

2. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    What did you guys think of Scott Speed's performance? How did he do?

3. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Good first race. Only slightly outqualified by his teammate. Posted a faster lap than his teammate, didn't lose positions to anyone behind him, although Luizzi did gain a spot on him.

4. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I had no idea this was so complicated, but let´s try again.

You say Alonso was the better driver of the two since Michael didn´t do ´anything spectacular´. So, what did Alonso do what makes him the better driver of the two in the Bahrain GP?

I´m just curious.

5. Lukas

Lukas Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Lukas A. Niklasson
    Where did you get that picture? Would be interesting to compare some other drivers. Thanks

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hmmm, everythings changed and nothing's changed (except Ferrari may have a car again this year?).

What I do not understand is why the FIA has returned to allowing tyre changes. So we go to smaller engines (I agree with this move) and thus loose the expected performance (for now) and then they crazily reallow tyre changes.

Thus as I have said (now years ago) these tyres are designed to go just as long as necessary, thus the tyre teams have made much softer and thus faster tyres (than last year) ... thus they have made up the performance drop!

There is no way this years tyre is safer than last years tyre ... again they are designed to do a job with as smaller as possible safety factor. Thus last years tyres would probably be safer cause they have to design in more factors to get them to last.

Yeah they can change them now ... but if you think somebody with a failing tyre with 5 laps to go is going to change their tyres and loose a spot/position, er, well you are wrong. Nothing has changed at all from last year.

Bring back a control tyre or a single supplier please. For Pete's sack lets get rid of the friggin pitstops so we have racing on the track please.

All this race was was 2 short racing stints with a heck of a lot of pacing themselves in the middle. I want racing from start to finish, not lets wait and see if our strategy is better. Yeah strategy and pacing yourself is a big part of the sport, but this "I do not have to pass, I just wait for the pitstop", annoys me.

In the end the rules are the rules and we have to race them as the FIA make them, but .... but ....

Anyway:
    MS - Hmmm, how hard was he trying. Is the car good or is he driving the snot out of it?. He did lock up a few times, but he has always done that.

Alonso - Smooth (mostly) as silk. Great under pressure with having to lap and put the times down. Impressive drive from him and MS.

Massa - As I said ages ago, way out of his depth. Soon he will take MS out and you all will want his blood. It will happen as the only time he has his car under control is when it's having it's tyre changed.

Barrichello - Hmmm, lets just say he's been tried and showed yet again to be wanting. Button made him look, well ordinary like most of us knew he is.

Kimi - Hmmm, great drive but seriously time to change team. A great team but somebody in that team is making mathematical errors and using a safety factor of 0.000001 instead of 0.1.

Weber - Good drive.

Rosberg - Hmmm, might have something here. Yeah he made a mistake but early days. Heck I forgave Massa his first 5, but no more please. He made those in his first 2 races.

Who else ... JPM was invisible, Fisi was his usual (plus mouthing off at the crew!) ... and Toyota unfortunately showed they still have major problems.

BMW also look wanting ...

Pete

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Agreed on all of the above.

What I don't understand for the life of me is how a team like Toyota with all the money they got (and at least two average, but experienced drivers) ends up at the back of the grid? Somebody is screwing up in that team big time.

8. sandersja

sandersja Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    John Sanders
    I really enjoyed the early stages when Rubens was racing Jenson. Both have something to prove. Too bad about Rubens' 3rd gear going away - I assume that is why he was told to let Button by.

9. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    back in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Scot Danner
    Some good stuff there PSk

Agreed on eliminating pit stops. No tire changes, no refuelling. A 200 mile sprint and let 'em race. Problem is that Max and Bernie have just got caught up in tweaking the rules to make F1 more "accessible" to the "avarage fan." By that I mean they have what they consider to be a "successful" formula, because it attracts so many viewers. They aren't willing to risk losing those viewers with major changes so we get a small change here and there. And so they have made small gradual changes that have cumulatively damaged the sport without overly disturbing the viewer base with any single big change.

I suppose it's hard to argue with the conservative approach but I'm not happy with the results. My radical solution: take their wings away alogether (won't happen, loss of ad space.) Eliminate pit stops: no refuelling, and make tire changes a losing proposition by limiting the number of crew allowed to work on the car to the number that can change a single damaged tire. If you see what I'm getting at with this rule: last year you were forbidden to change tires. That's stupid and dangerous. Rather than forbid tire changes, just make them unattractive by making the time required to change tires prohibitively long. So if a guy flat spots a tire, he can come in and change it, and maybe not lose too much ground, but routinely changing four tires would be such a long process that it's a losing proposition.

Lastly: engines. All this ten-grid-place penalty for changing an engine is yet another stupid and ill-conceived rule. How many races has this rule ruined since it was introduced? Most of them, actually, one way or another. My solution: next post, this one has dragged on long enough. :)

10. TheSaint111

TheSaint111 Karting

Mar 29, 2005
    Ok Heidfeld qualified 10th, JV 11th that's true. But is that a big difference? I don't think. And was it JVs fault that his engine blew up spectacular?? I don't think so...

11. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    I know the fastest lap doesn't mean much but I figured I would say it anyway. If NH had the fastest lap (compared to JV), I'm sure you would you have had mentioned it.

Who qualified better? NH

Who had the better result? NH

JV would if his engine would have lived. (admit it)

Who had the better average lap time?
    Answer JV.

JV: 1:36.195
    NH: 1:36.363

Did you see the graphic I posted?

How come you have nothing to say now?

12. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Autosport.com

To get exclusive data you need to subscribe. (it cost $)

I'm subscribed. What do you need?

13. Lukas

Lukas Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Lukas A. Niklasson
    Oh i see...well i just thought it would be interesting to compare some drivers. Especially Kimi and JPM... would really appriciate if you could post thiers.

Thanks

14. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    #189 F1racer, Mar 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    I thought it was a great race, lots of action, it would have ranked easily in the top 5 races last year, let's hope this bodes well for the season.

Alsono earned this one, he drove a great second stint keeping the pressure on MS which allowed the brilliant pit stop by renault to get him out front. Only just, how close was that!!??!! Great stuff.

MS drove great as well and I'm thrilled to see the red cars in the hunt. Glad to stuff this is the face of all the critics who suggest the SF was on a short fuel strategy. Really the race was lost any number of ways, the extra lap of fuel from qual, the bad start by Button, the spin by Massa both allowing FA ahead. But at the end of the day that's racing and FA deserved the win.

I'm no JPM fan, but this one looked more like the team blew his strategy, a one stopper surely would have lead to a third, but that is what makes race fuel in Q3 interesting.

Nico, what can I say!! At times he was 1 sec/ lap faster than Webber? I'll be watching this kid! I was skeptical but more of this and I'll be a believer.

Kimi, if it wasn't for bad luck.... What a drive, he is the man. Nuff said.

Toyota, LOL!!!

BMW, ugly

And the rest, there was good action all around, great race, I hope Malaysia is as good!

========
    edit:

those lap time charts are intesting, but showing the pit stops is scewing the scale. F1 in a sport measured in tenths if not hundredths of a second, so please zoom in on the actual race laps so we can see differences of a .10 more clearly, this will reveal the pace. What looks like the same lap time on that chart can easily be a .3 per lap difference which in equal cars is a HUGE delta.

16. Lukas

Lukas Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Lukas A. Niklasson
    Thanks man! Really appriciate it.

17. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Gee, I'm subscribed to the online service free as it goes with my magazine subscritption. One of the best racing magazines out there (we get quite a few).

Carol