Bad Gas | FerrariChat

Bad Gas

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ghenne, Aug 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I got a tank of bad gas from a local Shell station. The repair bill was $2400.

Shell's insurance company turned down the claim with an apparently canned response.

We kept some of the gas. Does anyone know a lab in Toronto which can assess it?

Anybody else ever go through this?

2. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    can't answer your question.... but can you identify the stations location so others can avoid it?

3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Try Intertek or SGS (no affiliation) in your area. They have labs in the major Provinces. However, they may have a conflict of interest if Shell is their client. Otherwise, most of the gasoline testing labs are in Houston. Good luck.

4. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks - I'll check with those places.

I will post complete details once I collect at the data. I have filled up since then at the same station - it's a high volume one, so the fuel turns over frequently.

5. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Sometimes my car was jerking hard when cold after new gas. That's why I never full the tank. Just half, so if the gas is bad, won't take so long to finish it. IMO, it's not about bad gas, it's just some owners mix the low with high octane to get max profit.
    And if your repair bill is only 2,400, forget about insurance coverage. It's going to cost over 10K to fight legally. This is how insurance companies make so much profit. These guys are law-protected-mafia.

6. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    Mike45spider - appears to be a venting issue.

For action against esso (if results show their fault), the $ is well within small claims court which costs a few hundred dollars only - I am sure esso will settle up before trial as they would not want bad publicity.