bad day | FerrariChat

bad day

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by redferrarispyder, Sep 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redferrarispyder

redferrarispyder Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2007
    hi all, I got home today and fired up my 79' 400 GTi it had dropped a bit of oil underneath which I thought was normal so i got in and took her out for a spin, but as I got on the freeway smoke (and oil) started billowing from the right set of tailpipes so i got of the freeway and started to head home but then smoke started coming from the grate in the bonnet and a fine oil slick began forming on the windscreen. I thought I coud limp home but then the oil pressure dropped and the engine cut out. So I rolled a few hundred metres and then roll started her. there was a dreadfull noise coming from the engine and I knew I had to turn it off quickly or the V12 would cease. when I got home oil was pooring from the engine into a pool in the garage the wife was very not very happy.

2. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    damm, a very sad day..sorry to hear that..

3. redferrarispyder

Sep 29, 2007
    It is just god punishing me for not driving it enough I have had other cars and other things to do

4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    If you don't mind me asking; what let go?

Art S.

5. redferrarispyder

Sep 29, 2007

I'm sory? I dont understand

6. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I mean: do you know what broke within your engine?

Regards,

Art S.

7. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Wow, you lucky dog! Now get to learn more than you ever wanted to know about rebuilding a Ferrari engine. ;-)

8. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    AM I IN TROUBLE, i have oil spots under all the cars! tell us, please what happened. or do you want to let someone else sort the whole thing out. any way all the best. hope this is not death of the bank account

9. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This is probably good time to remind people that whenever some trouble arises, stop the engine immediately and investigate. Waiting until the engine busts itself can not only make an expensive overhaul more stunningly expensive, the potential to totally destroy the engine is not unlikely. Whenever you see oil or smoke, turn off the engine asap, stat, schnell, now, PDQ. Hopefully nothing to destructive has happened, but bad noises or locking up are always a scary proposition.

10. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Paul, I completely agree - there is no limp home mode on a Ferrari.

11. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Uh Oh! Sounds kinda bad.

12. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Mitchell,

A little oil under the engine is called Italian rustproofing :) a lot of oil pouring out of the engine means something totally different :( . I'm hoping that the damage sounds worse that it really is...

Regards,

Art S.

13. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    uh, yep

14. redferrarispyder

Sep 29, 2007
    I really dont know I think it just be the seal thats gone I deserve it though because I havent used the car in ages and my wife is REALLY angry because she keeps slipping over on the oil in the garage and she says "when are you selling that stupid thing it doesnt even look like an (old)ferrari!" I am taking to the local joint now.

15. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Things to do:
    1. Get new wife.
    2. Fix Ferrari.

16. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Good luck,

That would be GREAT if it's just a seal!!

Regards,

Art S.

17. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I perhaps WAS a seal at the beginning.

Loss of oil pressure, engine shut down followed by dreadful noise.

Don't hold your breath for good news.

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Spread some oil dry on the floor.....and hurry before she slips and falls!

Sorry to hear this........

19. redferrarispyder

Sep 29, 2007
    your right 2NA I think I may sell it to stop all this

20. mgv1

mgv1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2006
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Mark V
    From the description it sounds like a piston rod bearing seized, and the motor threw the rod out of the side of the engine/sump area. This happened to me on an E type jag. It started my engine rebuilding experience.

I hope it's just a seal but the leaking oil, clattering noise and oil slick on the windshield don't bode well.

21. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    The car smokes, and starts dropping oil. You keep driving. Your windshield starts getting coated in oil, and still you keep driving. The oil pressure goes to zero and the car dies, so do you figure it's time for a tow? No, you push start it! There is a 'dreadful noise' but only then do you consider turning the car off?

Is it April 1st or what?

If this is for real, I apologise because you have a huge bill ahead of you, but I'm calling shenanagans on this.

Ken

22. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    I agree. The wife in the oil tipped me over the edge. I hope it is shenanagans. If so, you write well. If not, you write from the heart.

23. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I admit I burst out laughing as I read, but obviously it's serious if real.

Ken

24. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I read a repair invoice once that really made me shake my head. For those of you not famiar with cold climates and temps under 0*F, when your heater stops pumping warm air, its usually a sign the car has lost coolant or circulation.

Owners complaint, as close as I can recall:

"Driving the car I notice red coolant overheat and battery charge warning lights came on as well as stop engine light. A little while later I notice the heat stopped coming, only cold air. Then I noticed steam coming from under the front on the car at stop lights, and a lot of steam from the back while driving. Then the car started running very sluggishly and making vibrations, then slowed completely and quit. When trying to restart the car it only only clicked";

The water pump/alternator belt had jumped off. If the guy (idiot?) had simply pulled over and looked, and not ran it until it was fixed, he would have been okay. The engine was ran completely dry of coolant until the pistons siezed and scored the liners, and the head was warped beyond limits. The motor got so hot it melted the plug wire boots to the spark plugs. It was junk. Instead of a minor repair on a new car still under warrantee, the owner got a repair bill of nearly $3500 to replace the engine he destroyed. He made a big stink about it, but it was serious owner incompetance and the factory wouldnt pay. I honestly dont understand how oil spraying onto the windshield of a Ferrari wouldnt get someones attention enough to shut down the engine.

In the engine overhaul buisness, as much as there are crooks around, there are many more totally incompetent car owners. There is a large percentage of our population today who are absolutely clueless. 25K mile oil change intervals with synthetic oil, and may or may not change the filter, but every other time, constantly delayed maintainance, if any at all, and out right neglect. But even worse, there are people who will just keep on driving a car when they know something is seriously wrong.

25. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Kitty litter stuff works great too