Backup Camera - 599 | FerrariChat

Backup Camera - 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by ed dantes, Mar 6, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ed dantes

ed dantes Karting

Nov 28, 2010
    Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thinking of installing a backup camera on a 599 GTB.
    Any suggestions/experiences/recommendations?
    Thanks in Advance.

2. Melanzane

Melanzane Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Florida
    Kenwood makes a good system. And the head unit fits the 599 very nicely - go for the all touchscreen. The rear camera is discreet and can be mounted just under the license plate lights.

But to clarify, this is integrated with the Kenwood stereo receiver, not a stand alone system.

3. ed dantes

ed dantes Karting

Nov 28, 2010
    Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks for the info.

4. lourus

lourus Karting

Sep 14, 2011
    Seoul, Korea
    Full Name:
    Jimbo
    well, I have thought about it too before. since 599 doesn't have a screen, it is not easy to have a screen inside,,,,

well, with screen, it can't be a future classic I guess.

5. ed dantes

ed dantes Karting

Nov 28, 2010
    Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I agree with you. I am not going to pull out the stereo unit and change anything to fit a screen. I thought there might be a better solution. I am surprised that there is not a wireless camera that sends a signal to the i-phone. Anyway, I will just use the parking sensors.

6. Melanzane

Melanzane Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Florida
    Actually there is another option. They now make rear view mirror replacements that have a screen hidden inside that only illuminates when car put in reverse. Any quality car stereo/sound shop could give you options. And your 599 interior would still look stock.

7. lourus

lourus Karting

Sep 14, 2011
    Seoul, Korea
    Full Name:
    Jimbo
    that's an idea! hope I can find one get along well with 599 interrior.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There are wireless rear view mirrors available that clamp over your OEM mirror. Car and Driver actually has a generic tape on installing the back-up camera.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl5CEzhHbVk]How to Install an Aftermarket Backup Camera - YouTube[/ame]

I would also contact these guys and see if they can fit the system into your OEM mirror. They already do it for radar detectors, auto-dimming, and Homelink systems, and a camera should be no more difficult.

Radar-Mirror

9. ed dantes

ed dantes Karting

Nov 28, 2010
    Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Taz,

As always, you are a wealth of information. Thanks, this looks possible.
    ED.

10. IcemanWlkp

IcemanWlkp Karting

Oct 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marek Orli
    Apparently, you can install a system that displays the image from the camera on the built-in LCD display next to the counter.