Back stretches, equipment, etc. | FerrariChat

Back stretches, equipment, etc.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Schatten, Oct 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I don't have that great of a back, so each time the weather changes, I'm down for the count. Winter months are troublesome. I still bike on occasion. Running becomes too much of an impact. I need to increase my flexibility.

Any suggestions, sites, or even equipment that you recommend to use, or to stay away from?

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #2 TexasF355F1, Oct 27, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
    Here's a little something I found:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw16.htm

I think a big problem is just keeping your body (muscles and joints) warm. I'm assuming you're posture is fine, but you just have back issues.

You may want to start doing light weight workouts for your back. Pulldowns, rows, pullups (assisted), and hyperextensions. These should help in one way or another.

I'm the same way with cold weather though. My body gets really tense until I warm up. Substitute running with bike riding, or ride a bike until your warm and then run.

3. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

try teeder hang-ups, i got one about 2 months ago, so far so good.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Sex is best exercise.

5. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    foam roller has been recomended to me by my trainer and my chiropractor/masseur who is the best in the biz

http://www.relaxtheback.com/catalog/productdetail.cfm?group_id=6374106

you lay this on the floor then you lie on top of it belly up andlie where it hurts for at least 30 seconds to a few minutes if you can stand it

it uses your weight to gently stretch your vertebrae and relax knots

6. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I would:

1) See a medical orthopedic surgeon. Get X-rays or another evaluation if necessary. Your pain could be disc disease, arthritis, bony degeneration, muscular, etc. Knowing what (and where--cervical, thoracic, lumbar) your pain is coming from impacts interventions you should consider. Though it isn't my field, my experience is that many back surgeries don't work that well.

2) Having gotten the information from (1), get a referral to a good back physical therapist. They can specifically guide you as to some of the most helpful things, least helpful things, etc. They can also review "passive" interventions (how to sit, how to stand, how to lift, etc.) to complement exercises, stretching, etc.

3) Give things a couple of months. If not doing well (and assuming you've had a repeat tune up visit or two with your physical therapist) you could consider massage, accupuncture, etc.

I have a lot of stories, but I'll relate two. One patient of mine had slowly increasing back pain. Was trying things guys at the gym had suggested, tried stretches from a book, etc. Turns out he had prostate cancer metastatic to his spine. He did poorly, partially because of the delay in diagnosis. Another patient went down the same "treat yourself" road and had a unique type of spinal arthritis. When he received medical treatment for that he was significantly better.

I'm not saying that you can't potentially work this out on your own, but as someone who has severe back problems, the progression above helped me.

Scott

7. robbreid

robbreid Karting

Feb 25, 2007
    Click Here to find out what part of your back is weak.

Based on the above, you can ask an expert; Click Here.

YouTube Videos lower back stretches.

YouTube Videos lower back exercises.

I might add, Yoga classes are amazing for flexibility.

The most important thing about stretching, think of your ligaments like a cold elastic band. If you warm it up, and hold stretches it will lengthen, if you snap it, or quick movements without holding, it will tighten.

If you warm up first, and hold all stretches for 15 to 30 seconds, you will allow your ligaments to stretch.

If you bounce, or return to your start position in less than 15 seconds, your ligaments will tighten.