Ayrton Senna ou Nelson Piquet? | FerrariChat

Ayrton Senna ou Nelson Piquet?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Niteroi, Oct 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Niteroi

Niteroi Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Del
    Qual dos 2 voces preferem?

Eu pessoalmente prefiro o estilo mais agressivo do Piquet...

2. pozzi

pozzi Formula Junior
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 28, 2004
    Brasil
    Full Name:
    Fabio Pozzi
    Não me lembro bem do Piquet, era muito novo na época, tinha uns 10 anos. Já as corridas do Senna eu me lembro muito bem !!! tinha 18 quando ele morreu... Logo prefiro o Senna, mas não posso compara-lo com o Piquet... Comparando com o Shumi prefiro o Senna !!!

3. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    In my opinion Senna was better than Piquet. I still remember Piquet taking a swing at Eliseo Salazar after he took him out while being lapped.
    (I understand Portuguese buy can't write it)

4. Niteroi

Niteroi Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Del
    LOL! Ele era agressivo dentro e fora das pistas!

5. Testarossa BR

Testarossa BR Karting

Sep 7, 2004
    Brazil
    Hehehe eu infelizmente não peguei a fase do Piquet, mais depois assistindo suas corridas eu continuo preferindo o Senna, além do Piquet ser muito arrogante e briguento. Um dia ví um vídeo o Piquet brigando de capacete no autódromo. E sobre o Nelsinho o que voçês acham?

6. Albert V8

Albert V8 Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Albert
    I hope you don't mind me posting but i guessed the question.

In 1993 during the European Grand Prix at Donnington Aryton Senna qualified his McLaren Ford in 4th Place with Prost, Hill and Schumacher all in front of him. At the time he had an inferior engine to Williams and the Benetton team had a Ford Engine Series VII with Pnuematic Valves whilst Senna's engine was Series VI with Sping Valves. This gave away an advantage of at least 20 BHP.

It was also raining and foggy.

Off the line Senna lost a place to Roland Ratzenberger so going into the first corner he was 5th! By the end of the lap he was first and over 0.5secs in front of Prost in the far superior car! By the end of the race he had lapped everyone except for 1.

So setting apart everything else he did in his career, tell me of anyone in Formula 1 History who can even come close to that.

Granted Scheuy is a Great Driver, but ask yourself, if Senna hadn't died that sad day at Imola in 1994 would schumacher have secured the first 3 of his World Titles? Remember, Senna was 32 when he died. At least 3-4 season left in him at the top. He could of easily matched what Scheuy is accomplishing at the moment.

The thing is with Senna. He was a Brazilian. You see for me a European or North American Driver is neat and tidy driver, the natural characteristics are predictable and safe. Whereas when Senna drove, you can't help but think he was doing the Samba. He just ouzed excitment! He definetely had a win at all cost mentality!

So i salute you Senna! You have inspired one individual thats for sure!

7. pozzi

pozzi Formula Junior
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 28, 2004
    Brasil
    Full Name:
    Fabio Pozzi
    Albert V8,

Great post! congrats! I remember this race like it was yesterday! I was 17 years old, and that was the most amazing lap I've seen !!! the best lap ever !!!

Pozzi

8. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Albert, very nice post but some mistakes. Roland Ratzenberger was not racing in 1993, he died at Imola in a Simtek the day before Senna. Senna was 34 when he died not 32. Senna got boxed out actually by Schumacher for fifth and then got around went after Karl Wedlinger followed by Hill, and Prost.

Schumacher won the first of his two championships in 1994 and 1995. Schumacher won his third in 2000. I think had Senna not died that day we would have seen some incredible races between the two. I personally feel that Senna in a Williams Renault once sorted would have won the championship between 1994-1997. My opinion of course there are Stat Freaks on this board who may say otherwise.

9. Albert V8

Albert V8 Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Your probably right as i was relying on my memory.

But i still hold my belief that it was the greatest lap ever!

And after Williams, Senna would have naturally gone on to Ferrari and dominated there.

We were all robbed of something special that day!

If only............

10. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I can't agree with you more. In fact if you saw Senna's first race win in the race in 1985 at Portugal in the Rain with the Turbo JPS Lotus, you might have thought that was his greatest race. He had so many.

11. Niteroi

Niteroi Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Del
    Da-lhe Piquet! Esse video e' incrivel !

12. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    Nelson Piquet.

Senna was a far better driver, but also had some strange mental issues - like he trully believed it was his right to have the best car....

A few years ago Motorsport published an interesting article with the personal views of Alain Prost on Senna. In this article Prost stated that Senna never foul played (like the crash in Japan which decided the championship), but genuinly believed it was his right to do things the way he did.

Even when Nelson never liked his team mate Mansell, they never clashed (or crashed) like that....

13. Niteroi

Niteroi Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Del
    Nao estou conseguindo anexar o link do video, posso mandar por email pra quem quiser, vale a pena ver!

I'm having trouble attaching the video, if somebody wants it I can send it by email, it's amazing!

14. a007apl

a007apl Karting

Jul 12, 2004
  15. FourCam

FourCam Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Loveland CO
    Full Name:
    Cameron MacArthur
    Piquet-in equal cars-would kick his ass. Remember also Piquet was once quoted as saying something to the effect that he would not sit in Senna's car unless it had first been fumigated! Hmmm...wonder what he meant by that????

16. rviant

rviant Karting

Jan 22, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    Full Name:
    Richard

Voce pode me mandar o video via email. Te mando um PM

Obrigado

17. s_eric09

s_eric09 Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    George
    I think senna,

He has left a big legacy in the sport. He was determined, and wanted to win. yes it ultimately killed him. but like Fangio said "There were much braver drivers than me, they are all dead"

George.

18. giago

giago Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Giago
    Mi voto es por SENNA!

19. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Senna over Piquet, but NOT by much.....

20. VPX

VPX Karting

Jun 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Victor
    IMHO, Piquet was a better driver, Senna in comparrison was much of an "all in" type of driver.

If Senna's crash hasn't happened, would him be glorified as he is now?

21. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Well, Nelson was a much more complete driver, in the sense he was one of the best "developing" a car..together with Prost, lauda and Shummy...he was also very talented as a driver..(remenber the overtaking over Senna in Hungaroring?). This said, Senna was clearly the faster of the 2, and on the rain he was clealy better than Nelson.
    So i would say Ayrton was more a more gifted driver and a faster one, but Nelson had other virtues aand he could help "building" a car better than SEnna.

22. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    QUOTE=Albert V8;134479269]I hope you don't mind me posting but i guessed the question.

So setting apart everything else he did in his career, tell me of anyone in Formula 1 History who can even come close to that.

Not wanting to take anyhing away from ayrton who was a genious behind the wheel but what Gilles was able to do in 81 both in Monaco and Jarama with that POS he was driving was far beyond anything Senna ever did.

23. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Wow, this thread got brought up from a 12 year nap.