Avus 1937 | FerrariChat

Avus 1937

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by m.h., Mar 9, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. m.h.

m.h. Karting

Mar 14, 2005
    Hi all

Maybe this is slightly off-topic, but I always wondered which cars except for the streamliners (and GP cars) of Mercedes-Benz and Auto Union took part in the famous Avus race on May 30, 1937. Especially if Balestrero drove an Alfa Romeo and the types of the Maserati cars driven by Hartmann and Soffietti are interesting for me. Pictures of the cars at the event would be much appreciated (for high res you can contact me on [email protected]).

I hope at least some of you share my interest...

the results (final):

1. Lang: MB W25/M125 streamliner
    2. v. Delius: AU Type C
    3. Hasse: AU Type C
    4. Rosemeyer: AU Type C stremaliner
    5. Seaman: MB W125
    6. Hartmann: Maserati
    dnf Caracciola: MB W25/M125 streamliner
    dnf v. Brauchitsch: MB W25 DAB streamliner (short chassis/DAB V12)
    dns Balestrero: Alfa Romeo P3 (5th in heat 1)
    dns Soffietti: Maserati (5th in heat 2)
    dns ***ioli: AU Type C stremaliner (dnf heat 2)
    dns Zehender: MB W25 (dnf practice, short chassis/DA V12)

I found no evidences so far for Renato Balestrero’s car actually being an Alfa Romeo P3 (one small, bad picture shows a bright car very far in the background of the starting grid with what could be an exhaust pipe on the right side – which could indicate a P3 – but in many reports the car often is stated as being a Maserati!) or Laszlo Hartmann’s Maserati being an 8CM or Gigi Soffietti’s an 6C-34 (or whatever).

Furthermore two Maseratis and two (maybe even three?) Alfa Romeo V12 were dna because of the expeted superiority of the German cars.

Kind regards,

Michael