S-Line Exhaust Dispute (resolved) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

S-Line Exhaust Dispute (resolved)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by adamellisdj, Jul 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis
    Ass is a typo. Not here to abuse anyone mate lol.

It won’t let me edit it.

This forum is full of people disagreeing. Who cares. I’m just stating the facts.

Il leave it there anyway and see what PayPal decide. Peace

Shark01 likes this.
  2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Where did I get it from that you had removed the OE exhaust? Well if you haven't, how does it in any way hinder your use of the car or your holiday? You initially stated that whether or not you could use the car in the high season and during your holiday, hinged on the valves being ready. Read back in your initial post, you basically make it sound like you have a car with no exhaust, and thus you cannot use it. That was obviously not the case.

Sometimes things just take longer and it can't be helped. Annoying yes, but that's life.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis
    You’re really not getting this, nor have you read my post properly.

The cars exhaust has a hole in it. It’s not drivable. It has to come off to be repaired.

I’m not spending £600 to take it off and put the OEM one on and £600 to take the OEM one back off once the SLine is repaired.

Even if I wanted to, we don’t have the time now.

We have taken it off, it’s being repaired by a professional fabrication unit and I’m seeking the cost + damages from PayPal, against S-Line.

4. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You are a customer i wouldnt want
    Not sure what business you are in

Yes his communication could be better but he doesnt owe you costs lol

The general vibe is your are difficult but you dont agree with that and you dont like it

5. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis
    #30 adamellisdj, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    Why should I have to pay £450 in labour to replace a faulty item.

We clearly do not see eye to eye when it comes to customer service and how to look after your customers. If I had supplied a part that was badly made, and a customer had to pay to replace the said part, I would absolutely cover it. How is it fair that the customer lump another bill because of my error?

Especially after a horrendous 2-month initial delay. It is the least they could do imo.

I can bet you that if the shoe was on the other foot, your outlook would somewhat differ.

Anyhow, it is in Paypals hands now, and they will force him to pay if side with me. So, we will see.

Adamas likes this.
  6. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If it cost you $5000 would that be fair?

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Look, you chose to have it fixed despite S-Line sending out a new set. Why didn't you just install the OE pipe until you got the replacements?
    Also as I stated, Covid is a real thing that causes real delays. Have you tried ordering things elsewhere? It's difficult and delays are to be expected. This is a combination of errors, some on Teague and some on you. Don't expect too much from Pay Pal with this.

Hope you get your exhaust sorted.

ShineKen likes this.
  8. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis
    Better pictures of the shabby, rushed work by S-Line here.

The Fabricator told me that the material that they have used is cheap and that the welding is some of the worse he has ever seen.

Charging $3000 + for these valves is an outrage. The profit margin they are making on these units must be obscene.

Just another case of a legit company getting greedy by switching to cheap material and seemingly using unqualified workmen/welders.

S-Line never made any attempt to settle this and have let it go to Paypal for a decision.

AVOID
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    My personal take. I don’t know S-Line or Teague. But I know they don’t have a reputation for sending out junk or faulty products. These parts are hand-made and **** happens. I’m sure the defect % is small or else we would be hearing more complaints.

My guess is if you ordered and waited without trying to rush them, you would have been seen more favorably by them.

This is how I would do it. Ask for an eta. If they past the eta by a month ask for another one. If that one passes by a month, then ask for a refund, BUT tell them you are still very interested in the part and to contact you when it is completed. If S-Line has legitimate good intentions, they would realize they F’d up on 2 etas and they shouldn’t need a deposit or full payment from you to keep your order. If they still do want a deposit/payment, I would just ask for the refund and look elsewhere for a alternative product. For example, go with Kline.

At the end of the day, it’s two people exchanging money for product. You give him money, he gives you a product. All that extra stuff about your vacation, your bday, your timeline… it’s not his job or desire to please your life. He just makes exhausts and sells you an exhaust. You’re not paying him for an exhaust + expedited service. You booked the vacation, not him. He’s the one building you something. Give him the courtesy to work his schedule. You went to him to buy something. He didn’t come to you to sell you something. You came off as too demanding/unreasonable, so he gave you the cold shoulder. If you didn’t tack on all the extra demands from start to finish, I’m sure he would accept fault and try to send you another one or work a partial refund.

stretchgeneral likes this.
  10. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis

I waited 2 months and at no time did I rush them. They rushed it, not me lol.

At the end of the day, regardless of how you try to somehow try to turn this on me, I paid $3000+ for rushed units and that is not acceptable, nor is the way the situation has been handled by S-Line.

This place is an utter joke tbh. All you get is a bunch of know it alls sticking up for a company that has been proven to be in the wrong (you know, based on the evidence I have provided).

You just cannot win sometimes.

FourFiveGreat likes this.
  11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    If I had a nickel for every time I blew a thousand bucks on something I’d be rich! :)

barryr and EastMemphis like this.
  12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    #37 RayJohns, Jul 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    Hey, this thread isn't about your dating life lol... stay on topic :)

Those welds do look pretty bad though. It appears to me they cooked the stainless from both sides in that narrow area and it became brittle. That's simply an inexperienced welder doing the fabrication on the muffler and I have to agree w/ Adam that nobody should be asked to pay multiple thousands of dollars for that sort of shoddy craftsmanship.

Ray

FourFiveGreat, Adamas and italiafan like this.
  13. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Your 1st clue there will be issues is when you were buying or trying to buy from S-Line and they do not respond. I would not have gone any further.

1- S-Line should either make new and better parts for you or refund your money. Good luck though…
    2- the compensation you seek will not happen so don’t count on it or even think about it.

Mickyd329 and RayJohns like this.
  14. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    To be fair to Adam if i paid $3k+ for an exhaust for my Ferrari and it turned out like this i'd expect a full apology and an option of a full refund or a speedy replacement. OTOH S-Line seem to have a great reputation so in this instance i would guess its a one off. Try more tact and see if they come up with an acceptable remedy.
    Everyone seems to have been affected by Covid in some form resulting in people getting let down. Hopefully normal service will be resumed next year.

15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    “S-Line has shown a total lack of customer care and ignored me time and time again in a very time-sensitive situation. I do not trust them to help me without occurring extra costs and stress, as well as ruining a planned driving holiday that I need my car for this weekend coming.”

This is not rushing them? Please. You gave them a deadline. Waiting 2 months for a hand-made product is nothing these days. This isn’t a Pizza delivery service… “we’re 5 min late and your pizza is free.” This is a hand-made product with high demand. They didn’t take 2 months to build your product. You weren’t the only customer they had when you placed your order. I’m sure they had a line of orders. They were building other customers products before they got to building yours. Let them sort that out and if you don’t like that, just ask for the refund. Instead you kept begging for the product and to meet your deadline. You decided to be the annoying customer and now he’s annoying you.

If there is a line of people who have your issues, I might believe you calling this place a joke. I don’t have to defend S-Line. I call it how I see it.

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I don't know why you are even asking us?

Here's a thread where you get upset because you don't think people tell you, and basically tells us that we don't know anything.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/index.php?threads/641611/

Is there a pattern here? No matter what S-Line did or did not do, some of this is on you and you do come across as someone with a bad attitude.

You may not think so, but you did push to get things rushed and that means bad things can happen. They did offer you to ship new parts, but you are upset because you would have to pay import fees? Take that up with the UK government. You choose to do business outside of the UK and S-Line offers you replacements where they pay parts and shipping. You are then accusing them of deliberately stalling, without actually knowing. S-Line have clients besides you, so time is not always on your side.

After considering this I think we don't get the full story here. Would like to hear what Teague had to say. You have shown in previous situations that you can be difficult to deal with and not always open to advice, suggestions etc. Why would this be different? You don't want to trust S-Line when they tell you that there are delays due to Covid, and yet this is common knowledge. You are blaming S-Line for something you don't actually know early on in the situation, which is very rude and unfair. Then after that, you keep pushing and pushing, without stopping for a second to think about what is going on.

Had you shown some patience and understanding towards S-Line, you might have been in a situation where they would have been more eager to please you. But you created a situation where it was all about your needs, and didn't show any understanding towards them. Covid or not, you wanted your exhaust and did not care one bit about what is going on in the other end. They try to get the products out and get a backlog due to delays out in a safe and proper way, and that should be respected - you didn't it seems.

If we are such a joke and our suggestions, opinions and advice is worthless, feel free to leave. But you might want to consider the fact that some of us have been doing this a lot longer than you, and may know a thing or two about how the world of exotic cars work.

17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #42 Shadowfax, Jul 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    Looks to me like the engine's been backfiring and has blown the ass out of the muffler. I'd be looking elsewhere into the engine/fuel/timing settings. It may well be that the muffler was the best part of the car.;):D Muffler doesn't look like it's been overly hot looking at the straw color of the metal. Weld looks like it's fused with the metal fine. Has it been tuned? Probably been leaking off fuel which has just detonated down the line. Boom there goes the muffler. It has to break somewhere. There's more to this story for sure. How many ks has the engine done? Where/how is it being driven? No wonder the supplier is not playing ball looking at the muffler damage. It's blown a whole piece of metal out of the muffler. This isn't just a failed weld. I'm calling BS.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  18. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    "it is in Pay Pal's hands now". That made me laugh out loud. Thanks for brightening my morning.

Ivan Drago likes this.
  19. Ivan Drago

Ivan Drago Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2021
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Ivan Drago
    God speed, PayPal.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

TLDR. Can someone give me the Reader's Digest version?

D

21. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017

From someone who read exactly 8 posts and got the gist:
    - OP buys used exhaust
    - installs it and has problems, seemingly quality related with the product but hard to discern since OP comes off so aggressively per last 2 bullets
    - doesn’t like how he’s treated by s-line in trying to rectify
    - clearly a difficult person as evidenced by their op, and replies to others giving them the very same constructive feedback and attention they were seeking when they posted this
    - based on that last point, wasn’t reading any further, not interested

For what its worth, hope that helps :)

22. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Here are the cliff notes, as I understand them:

1. Adam Ellis, a 30-something DJ in the UK, wanted his Ferrari to sound more like an F1 car (don't we all), so he searched high and low for an exhaust until he settled on the X pipe from S-line.

2. Adam is basically the mistreated victim in this story, whilst Teague (the owner of S-Line) appears to be cast (mainly by Adam) as the evil villain.

3. Adam, being the poor UK boy that he is, ostensively could not afford a brand new exhaust, so he went door to door spinning techno & 80's vinyl hits until he could at least afford a second-hand used X pipe.

4. Adam then set about purchasing some exhaust control valves (new) from S-line - I believe to adapt into the second-hand system (who the F knows) and I believe that's when things started to venture off into more rocky seas...

5. While attempting to obtain said valves, our villain, Teague, allegedly ignored, delayed, abused and otherwise made Adam feel very unhappy. Perhaps on account of Covid, or perhaps not, there was a large delay in Adam receiving his parts, despite these parts being of "utmost importance" to Adam.

6. During the storm, I believe the evil villain Teague failed to deliver the valves to Adam on the exact date promised, thereby missing his quoted delivery date by ONE mather phuckn DAY! (note to audio technician, please insert lightening strike sounds here). Naturally, one can only imagine that this must have enraged the otherwise easy to deal with Adam and more than likely caused Adam great inconvenience, distress, pain and suffering and many other horrible tragedies, too numerous to mention here [please refer to the full text should your teacher require this information for future tests].

7. Finally, once the part(s) in question did arrive - and exorbitant import taxes were paid to the Queen, the Royal Family and Bob-your-uncle - Adam then at least had his X pipe valves. But is this where our story really ends? I think not!

(Intermission: please return to your seats within 5 minutes. Popcorn is available in the lobby - and we are now accepting Bitcon for your convenience)

8. A scant number of weeks and only 300 bloody miles after installing the exhaust, tragedy struck our hero once again... there was suddenly an ominous sound coming from Adam's 458 (no doubt probably very similar in nature to that time the air-injection failed on my F355's left bank header).

9. Now, therefore: some part of the exhaust failed and despite outlining the area in MS-Paint.exe, nobody is really sure if it's the new S-line valves or the second-hand exhaust or what failed exactly. Perhaps the part was rushed and the person doing the welding mistook TIG welding for Oxyacetylene welding and/or perhaps Adam has a tuned, overly rich running 458 that is popping and banging around the streets of London and thus he has simply blown the sides out of an otherwise fine exhaust system. Nobody really knows for sure.

10. Around this point, me thinks maybe Adam could have dropped some X one night, done a few DJ gigs and then come home rather late one Sunday morning and perhaps decided the following was a bloody brilliant idea:

"Right... You know what mate? I've got a bloody brilliant idea.. I'm going to air all this dirty laundry in the court of public opinion (aka Ferrarichat) and I'm going to get all these rich US buggers on my side and let everyone know how horrible S-line really is. Then, and only then, will Teague (the villainous man that he is) have to submit to my mighty will; he will be left with no other alternatives but to send me new parts and cover all my labor and heartaches - including lost time driving my 458 in the sunny weather"

11. Adam, probably despite all his pub mates thinking this was a genius idea, then posted a rather long recap on Ferrarichat. I believe it might not have been long after this that Adam slowly began to realize that Ferrarichat is maybe not the best place to go when you are seeking sympathy - especially not when your second hand stainless parts (typically designed for off road use only; never to be used on any street driven vehicle) aren't working correctly.

12. In short order (i.e. between forum pages 1 and 2) Adam received little if any moral support and largely destroyed his Ferrarichat reputation for the next 9 months or so; all over a few hundred £ section of welded stainless tubing.

13. And yet, just when all seemed lost (aka - when most everyone on Ferrarichat had started to unsubscribe from this thread), a possible Messiah (in the form of PayPal's tech support based out of India) enters the scene!

To the one of us, we all now (that is anyone still subscribed) await the final outcome of this saga....

Ray

ewright, Loxo, Mikael-F360 and 11 others like this.
  23. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    That has to to be the condensed version rather than the full one.

24. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

TLDR. :D

D

Shadowfax likes this.
  25. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    Tune in next week. Same Bat Time, same Bat Channel.
    Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

RayJohns likes this.