Auto Financing for Older Cars | FerrariChat

Auto Financing for Older Cars

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by blabardi, Mar 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blabardi

blabardi Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Downers Grove, IL
    Why are lenders not offering auto loans for cars that are more than five years old? I have my eye on a 2005 Mercedes and was surprised that the major lenders I contacted will not loan for a car that old. I guess I've never sought a loan on a car more than five years old before so maybe this has always been the case. Why is this and does anyone have any recommendations for a lender on this 6 year old car?

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    lower collateral value and higher default rate.

depending on the car, try a credit union, or if its a classic Hagerty, Woodside, JJ Best, Putnam Leasing.

3. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    Full Name:
    Steve
    In the past I've used Woodside without any problems. The last car I bought was through my credit union, no problems as well.

4. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Its funny because you would think they'd realize the depreciation curve is in their favor so the buyer would be less likely to be upside down and default after a couple years. They woould more likely be in a position where they could sell it instead.

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    They probably simply don't distinguish between a car guy buying a nice 6 year old car and your more typical buyer of a car that age that is buying a beater used car.

I would bet the typical person buying an old beater would have a poorer credit history so they figure just eliminate the whole thing.

6. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #6 El Wayne, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
    This is my business, so please allow me to clarify:

The older the car and the higher the mileage, the greater the chance that it will die before the loan is paid off. Believe it or not, many people will not continue to make payments on a dead car. Sometimes this is because they can't afford to make payments while paying for repairs, sometimes because they can't afford to make payments while paying for alternative transportation, and sometimes just because it's somehow the lender's fault that their car is a POS. Major auto lenders face thousands of defaults a year and face these types of defaults on a daily basis.

For these reasons, older cars are given shorter financing terms and higher rates. Most lenders have a cut-off for age and mileage. Of the major lenders, the one that is currently the most flexible on older cars is Wells Fargo Dealer Services. They do not do direct loans, however, but one might try Wells Fargo Bank as an alternative.

For much older cars (primarily specialty/collector cars), there is Woodside, JJ Best, Putnam, etc.

7. blabardi

blabardi Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Downers Grove, IL
    I guess my fundamental problem is I don’t view a 6 year old Mercedes in excellent shape with only 40,000 miles and still worth $50k insufficient collateral. Why wouldn’t the lender simply place a cap on the amount of money they are willing to loan on such a car? Wouldn’t that ensure that they will always be above water should they have to seize the car for non-payment?

8. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    They do that as well. Limited advances on older cars. Even so, most lenders prefer to avoid defaults, regardless of the position that they are in. Defaults are expensive and lenders don't really want to be in the business of selling cars.

9. blabardi

blabardi Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Downers Grove, IL
    What do you mean they do that as well? Who does? The major lenders I contacted didn't care what amount I was looking for. Only that the car was 6 years old and they wouldn't loan anything on it.

10. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    Yep, try a credit union...

11. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #11 El Wayne, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The major lenders will typically shorten available terms, raise rates, and lower advances for cars based on their age, with an eventual cut-off point where they will not loan money on the car at all. Here's an example rate matrix from an unidentified lender. As with those that you have spoken to, model year 2006 is their cut-off point.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    If it is at a dealer, Capital One finances up to 7 years old...

1. What are your basic auto financing requirements?

Basic requirements to qualify for our Blank Check program include the following:
    Minimum loan amount is $7,500.
    Vehicle you are financing must be no older than 7 years and have less than 70,000 miles.

13. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    It seems the sweet spot for a cash buyer would be 8-10 years old. The car would still be "new enough" not have major body corrosion and usually have less mileage than one older. Yet any dealer stuck with a 2003 model knows that they cannot get financing for anyone regardless of credit history. Obviously the exotics might be a different story as you can get leases or financing for them. It is the non-exotic nice cars that suffer the most in this.

It does seem to make sense as you look at older nice cars still worth $20-40k (think V12 Mercs, Maseratis, Jaguar "R" models, etc), they seem to take a pretty good hit at 7 years. Most are realistically 25% or less of original MSRP at 7 years old regardless of mileage. By default most are sold to cash buyers, and most who have have $40k cash sitting around would just buy a bit nicer one that is two years old and $70k, financing the remainder.

Kind of a Catch-22 when it comes to selling an older car.

There are several cars made in the mid-2000's that will be prime candidates for a cash buyer at 8 years old to get good value. Such as:
    2005 Lotus Elise (this car will be in the teens in 2013)
    2007 Maserati Quattroporte Automatica
    2007 Jaguar XKR
    2006 Porsche Cayman S

14. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Yes, and Wells Fargo Dealer Services will go WAY beyond that. I recently placed a loan with them on a car that was 14 years old. I don't think the original poster is talking about getting a loan through a dealer, though.

Even so, you have an excellent point! The user can apply for a direct loan through Cap One at: http://www.capitalone.com/autoloans/

15. blabardi

blabardi Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Downers Grove, IL
    That's for all the info. guys. I did find a local credit union who would loan on the car and at a great rate. Now we just need a little more give in the asking price, a successful PPI and away I go at a face melting speed.

16. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#16 Kds, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
    Mine as well...........

Up here if you want to get paper bought on an older car you had better have "gold balls" and a solid down payment, as well as your own financing contacts in most cases. My F+I department can only finance 2006 + newer vehicles (and about 20% of those applications get multiple declines and the deals fall apart).......of my 125 used pieces in inventory, only about 10% are older than 2006. If you can write the cheque for $20K to buy an older car, you can also get bought on a new one with $5K down...........so most people who have the means don't usually buy older stuff. That's how the banks look at it.

I have a couple of leasing companies that will do older European and/or collectible type of exotic cars, but my client base accessing these services doesn't need to borrow the money, they just want to because it makes financial sense, if you get my drift. It's more of a pure personal based credit decision, than an asset/security based credit decision.

The basic formula goes like this.....want to lease a 1980 512BB you plan on acquiring for $100K....no problem.......your FICO is 700+.....you have $30-35K cash down, we depreciate the cap cost ($70K +/-) by 1.5% a month over 36 months and you pay 7.95%.........if you're earning a 20% ROI on your money in your own company, why draw it out and pay tax, then lose the ROI as well ? Lease it........we used to be able to get anyone financed on older cars 3 years ago, but that has now stopped.

17. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thats a cool chart

18. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Drive Financial will also finance cars older than 7 years. They have really high rates though.

19. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    I know somebody who will make loans for older/newer cars etc. as long as you have investments 2x worth the loan amount with lower than market value interest rates... shoot me a PM and I'll give you their info.

20. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    So how do people finance older Ferraris? I'm sure I have seen ads offering such a thing.

21. testdrv321

testdrv321 Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Newman
    The local credit union I deal with is writing my new 2004 cs. They normally max at 7 years, allowed me 8 based on relationship. They said they would go 9 but with a much lower LTV and at a bit over 3%, I'm going to finance it all and keep cash earning more than that in other investments.

22. VF1Skullangel

VF1Skullangel Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2008
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    JJ's best bank will finance anything with a set of wheels. Id try them. If not you'd better start investing.