Auto 400i on ebay.... | FerrariChat

Auto 400i on ebay....

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by robin's308, Jul 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robin's308

robin's308 Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    John
  2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    A 400i that needs a few things can get pretty pricey real fast.
    A well sorted out 400i is a rare bird.

Tires for that car are TRX's and will run you in excess of $400 each.

That car does not have 45,000 miles on it. It has a MPH speedo. It was delivered with a KPH speedo and has been replaced or converted. So the question is was it replaced or converted when it had 1,000 kilometers on it or when it had 50,000 kilometers? If it was converted then the "miles" it reads are actually kilometers.

Those little blue filters from the canister are not factory.

A good trim shop can fix that dash. You'll need a good piece of hide.

Find out the condition of the exhaust. A replacement is $1,600 a side plus shipping. Check to see if it has a factory ignition box, or it has been converted. Find out if the rear load levelers are leaking, big $$ to fix. Check the printed fuse board to make sure it isn't burned, or starting to go.

Sure would like to see better pictures of the engine.

It has US side markers on it.The front license plate bracket is missing, in case you need one in your state. Factory tool/first aid kit! Woo HOO, you don't see that often. (wanna sell it?)

It'll be due for front end work soon. 400's are so heavy they wear out the tie rods, ball joints, and front shocks around 50 to 60,000 miles.

Nice color.

Looks like a nice one as long as you know you'll be putting $4,000 to $6,000 into it to bring it up to really nice shape and that isn't a problem.
    These are GREAT cars.

3. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    looks pretty sharp, look into the service history to see what's been (not been) done. get a PPI before you buy. definitely a nice color.

john

4. robin's308

Jan 14, 2006
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    John
    thanks for the tips guys! i will look into all of those things asap!

5. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Too bad somebody added front side markers... they're sorta redundant with the factory side markers already there.

6. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Some additional information on the car: It sold at Barrett Jackson's 1997 sale for $27,300 and was offered for sale in September 2005 in FML by a Tennessee seller for an asking price of $26,500. At that time it was described as having 43,975 miles and with a recent tune up, recent a/c service and new tailpipes.

With a Buy it Now price of $19,500 currently, that suggests that the seller in TN is getting realistic about selling this car. There are the issues that he lists plus undoubtedly some additional items that a thorough PPI will help you in your decision. Since you are in HI, you should check with the regional site to fnd a good shop in the Nashville area to perform the PPI for you and maybe even have a local FChatter do a quick look see beforehand to see if you want to spend the money on a PPI.

All in all, the car looks typical for a 400i. Nothing glaring about it, a few issues to be expected and likely, as Dave said, the need for a few thousand dollars to fix up some of those things in the interest of performance and reliability.

Good luck with your search.

John

7. robin's308

Jan 14, 2006
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    John
    thanks so much again for the help. How do the 400is drive in terms of power and handling? i know they are meant to be a continental cruiser, but i have read that they are kind of sluggish if they are automatic. Considering that it has a gm trans in it i would'nt doubt that. although i would like to hear from the guys that own them, so overall how are they?

8. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    You know, there's an 82 400i in Hawaii already that's been for sale for quite awhile now, it may be cheaper to go look at that car first, and deal with that seller. I think it's gold, or tan, but it looks really clean from what I can tell.

Do a Google search for Ferrari 400i and it should come up.

Kraig

9. robin's308

Jan 14, 2006
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    John
    it sold already :(....seemed pretty clean

10. Dave46

Dave46 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2006
    Central Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Davison
  11. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    Around town, the car is rather stiff and lazy. Mine needs about 15 minutes to limber up for the highway, where it really comes alive. Mine is carbuerated (I may have mispelled that) which gives it a little more soul, but this car is not lacking soul in any makeup. I love not having to shift such a heavy car. As for handling, it's pretty good for, again, such a heavy car. For 20K you could not possibly find anything to come close to these. I also have a 911 and if it ever came to deciding which to get rid of, the choice would be easy. Out goes the Porsche.