AustrianGP 2020 RACE 2 Pre-Race thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

AustrianGP 2020 RACE 2 Pre-Race thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jul 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Take a look at this video from 1967 and go to 4:34 and tell me if this is photoshop.....

Cheers

635CSI likes this.
  2. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    No doubt they were catching air but pictures 2, 3 and 4 are “enhanced”. The formation flying in Pic 3 is a pretty bad one, with the cars like 3 or 4 feet in the air for the length of a city block it would seem. A hint is the very poorly defined shadow under only the first car.

Thanks for the YouTube link.

3. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    You are correct Those pics dont look real in fact. I guess my point is better illustrated by the old videos than by altered pics thanks

375+ likes this.
  4. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    You are correct Those pics dont look real in fact. I guess my point is better illustrated by the old videos than by altered pics thanks

Nembo1777 likes this.
  5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/150422/mercedes-gearbox-issue-fix-a-complex-problem

Mercedes has admitted that it is facing a "complex problem" in trying to solve its Formula 1 gearbox issues ahead of this weekend's Styrian Grand Prix.

A combination of electrical interference within its systems, allied to the vibrations caused by running over kerbs at the Red Bull Ring, left the team running the risk of gearbox failures in last weekend's Austrian Grand Prix.

The team has admitted that the problems are inherent to the current configuration that the W11 runs it and, despite having staff already getting to work on trying to solve matters even before last weekend's race started, there is no obvious quick fix.

Speaking in the team's regular post-race video debrief, Mercedes' head of strategy James Vowles said: "We have a number of people back at the factory working day and night for this. In fact, they were working in parallel to the grand prix.

"Whilst the grand prix was taking place, they were already doing their utmost to try and understand what the problems were to get ahead of the issue before we get into this week.

"We know that if we don't get on top of these issues it will be a problem again in just a few days' time.

6. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Just giving us a glimmer of hope so we watch the race. :)

Bas, 635CSI, Nembo1777 and 2 others like this.
  7. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    And yes, if today’s cars did that they would basically disintegrate in a cloud of carbon dust on touchdown, starting with the stupid monster front wings.

8. Absolutely not. 'Why elevation change of circuits is restricted to near billiard smooth and level...... :(

9. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Haven’t Mercedes played this card before, any issues they have doesn’t ever equate to car failures.

Mind games from Toto?

Bas and fil like this.
  10. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    AMuS

"Honda is using new turbochargers this year. They gave up their advantage in higher altitude, but they hope that they will perform better in the majority of the other circuit with the new turbocharger."

11. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    He's very good, don't worry

635CSI likes this.
  12. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Come on Ferrari, let’s see those updates. Hope it’s not just a little flick-up on the barge board or floor.

13. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

No photo journo's allowed in the pit lane AND both Ferrari pit garages are all covered up

375+ likes this.
  14. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Jeez Joe, you’re full of bad news this week, LOL!

First you tell about engine freeze for the year and now this - no journos in pits?!

Oh well as long as they’re 1-2 tomorrow, I don’t really need to see the updates. Yeah, right. Ha-ha.

jgonzalesm6 and kes7u like this.
  15. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Many elevations on the Nordshleife where these photos were taken have since been more or less levelled following serious accidents in GT races where the cars have taken off and landed in the public area. In the last one, I believe one marshal was killed when a Nissan GTR fell on the other side of the guardrail. Racing was suspended for a few weeks, and rather than banning the faster categories, they have instead decided to modify the circuit.

16. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Sorry bro....:)

That's also a 2 year engine freeze. So 2020 & 2021.

On Ferrari, they brought a new front wing and a new floor for now. On the front wing, it's small differences compared to last week. I was hoping for a completely new narrower nose...oh well. Still a day left IF any more upgrades appear.

375+ and ingegnere like this.
  17. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Technically, everybody is using new turbos this year, what Honda is using is different specification turbos.

New means its first run since being unboxed.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  18. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Thanks! Didn’t see the floor but here’s the wing:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/150442/ferrari-brings-new-front-wing-to-styrian-grand-prix

Wish they would change that boxy nose, if only for the aesthetics and to show they did SOMETHING since Barcelona.

About the engine freeze, from reading the rules it looks like most of the engine can be changed before the start of 2021 but I didn’t have a lawyer with me so not sure I read it right.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  19. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Until they actually have a failure I'll reserve judgement on their proclamations. Especially if they keep running 1-2.

ingegnere likes this.
  20. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Ferrari is so screwed with the engine freeze. The PU is where they are loosing most of their time. I was even watching Lecrec pole lap last year and this year qualifying comparison. They are loosing almost 20 km on the straights from last year. Don't know how much they can improve it with aero. E

ingegnere and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  21. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    It's going to be a merc 1-2.

22. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Noticed the same thing, at least 20 km/h. I know they were saying they set the car up for top speed last year, but it was still faster over a lap so the “higher drag” story doesn’t pass the smell test.

23. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    #73 John_K_348, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Goddammit Seb!:mad::D

24. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Its not just the engine freeze the special fuels/oils that Shell brought added up to a fairly heatlhy chunk of HP that is now banned

CRG125 likes this.
  25. Top speed

Top speed Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joonas
    Apparently the new floor is tested on Vettel's car tomorrow, another unit should arrive later. Not sure I understand this decision, I guess Ferrari is still trusting Vettel's "experience" on feedback about what works. They should really just prioritize Charles' car and let him get the feel for the new parts as quick as possible. Friday's practice sessions will most likely be dry and Saturday wet, so the most testing will be done tomorrow.

ingegnere likes this.