Austin Moto GP 2013 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Austin Moto GP 2013

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Mule, Oct 16, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
  2. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Austin MotoGP: Factory Yamaha clean-up underway | MotoGP News | Apr 2013 | Crash.Net

3. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    If I was the COTA PR department, I would disable comments on Facebook. One positive comment for every 20 negative ones on anything they post.

4. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Judging from Tweets, sounds like you better leave earlier than expected if going to COTA today. Unpaved Lot F, the huge cash lot, is too muddy for use after yesterday's short rains. Traffic is being diverted to other lots higher up.

5. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
  6. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Shades of a British Grand Prix!

I am in lot P on Sunday. Any known issues with that? I suppose things dry out pretty fast in Texas.

7. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    #107 Mule, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
    I just don't see a favorable ending possible. If KS wins, he is never going to be able to attend COTA or hold his school there. If he loses, same. I don't think a good relationship is recoverable. People may get their correct decision in court, but this is a huge black mark in GP history - banning a world champion from attending his home GP as a spectator. Puts a sour note on Sunday for me.

8. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I think the only lots closed now are the lower ones closer to the creek (the ones that should be paved or reinforced with permeable materials COTA touted early on). Lot P should be fine if it doesn't rain.

9. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yes. It's the main reason I won't be buying any tickets (would have bought at least 4 or 5) and will be watching at the Gypsy Lounge watch party with Kevin.

10. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I have lot P passes as well. Should be fine. A bit of mud, maybe some clay. But it is usually grass and rocks on higher ground" so you should be fine.

11. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    In hindsight, I may have joined you, knowing all this a few months ago. Always wanted to meet KS, and I thought the race may have been a chance. This is my first in-person race, though I have followed it from the 80s, so it is a "bucket list" kind of opportunity, but pretty conflicting.

12. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Enjoy! I'm sure it will be great! When do you arrive?

13. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Already in SA, did some tourist stuff (Fredericksburg, Enchanted Rock, Gruene, Bourne, etc).

14. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    ----that racetrack.

15. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Enchanted Rock is a family favorite. Gruene, too. We're very lucky...:)

16. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Excellent! Glad you didn't just drop in for the race without seeing other things In the area.

17. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Well, all Alaska/Texas rivalry aside, we are pretty lucky, too. Spent 4 hours at E. Rock, Lincoln St Wine Market in Fredericksburg was great, Dick's Classic Car Museum in San Marcos is cool, New Braunfels Train Museum, Grist Mill in Gruene.

Tell KS if he wants to catch big fish up in AK, to let me know. Might cost him an autograph.

18. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I am down here a bit every now and then, so I have not passed up opportunities (see post above).

19. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I hear Alaska is just amazing.

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm sure the party at Gypsy Lounge will last long after the race....

I'm in town now (slowly recovering from last night)...the Big Green House at South Congress at Live Oak.

Across from Treehouse Italian Grill..if you're hungry!

I'm at 281 808-0176.

Let's get together after the Track closes, and we'll ramble around South Austin and see what's going on....Gypsy Lounge is up by EAST 6th Street, east of IH35.
    Used to be sketchy over there, but it's ok now, overrun by hipsters! :rolleyes:

Art Chambers check in!
    That old phone number no workie.....

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Scotsman,

You may know my host, old school mate from UT and Crockett High.

He works in the Department.

22. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Went out to Haywood's today. Fantastic view from T9 to 12.

He's letting people in for $10, iirc, whether they want to stay & watch, or just park there. Use the entrance for Lots L&M, then when the COTA parking attendant comes to your car asking for money, just tell 'em your going to Mr. Haywood's. Then turn left into his driveway at the end of Lot M. He'll be there selling BBQ & collecting money.

Heard lots of people out there *****ing about the $30 after just finding out about it.. I also heard that yesterday the attendants were asking to see people's IDs when they said they were going to Mr. Haywood's. I just WISH they'd have asked me for my ID.

23. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
  24. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Had a couple of beers, sitting next to him after the race.....he signed two KS hats for us, (ironically purchased at COTA) posed for photos with anyone that asked...

I'll put them up here tomorrow.

I didn't know him until now, but he was cordial.
    He seemed a real world guy, helping to load some of his old bikes, (or replicas?) that were brought for display.

At least the part of my car he leaned against is clean, the rest of it looks like I ran the Saharah!

Glad I ran into Mule, (and his Mrs.....) never did see Art.......

25. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think the main difference between Tavo and Kevin is that Bernie had Tavo's back, when COTA came calling.....

He lightened them up, for an additional $5M in fees......

No one is making Kevin whole, for his services, unless there's been settlement offers extended.
    No way to really know...

Tilke is more than happy to claim the design, but there's been sketches published already that prove otherwise.

It would certainly be nice to have everyone back together by this event next year, and his School was actually one of the few year 'round uses of the Track.

I mentioned to him that his public posture was a class act.
    Had he publically called for a boycott of the event, it would have been even more sparsely attended!