Audi to leave endurance | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Audi to leave endurance

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by william, Oct 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. It already exists...it's called GTE. ;)

(Exception: Ford. 'Didn't have to even make many let alone sell 'em....see my last 2 sentences, post #22 above)

2. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    HAHAHAHAHAA...that was funny.

3. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    And unique. I witnessed at least one historic race. The deisel win.

4. Unique? Peugeot won it's share in it's short stint... ;)

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The ACO made some curious moves in the GT1 era.

As many (myself included) were advocating that GT1 moved toward more of a mid/late-90s
    type FIA GT "Supercar" formula to bring more interest to the category with entries such as
    Ferrari Enzo, Maserati MC12, Bugatti Veyron (for example).

But, the ACO dug in their heels and kept the GT1 category as was and little by little it was
    reduced literally to a Corvette vs. Aston Martin battle. Recalling that, at least for a while,
    Corvette was the lone GT1 entrant in ALMS leaving the outcomes to an inter-team battle
    for class victory.

Remembering also the near war that erupted when the ALMS wanted the Ferrari of Houston
    entered Maserati MC12 in the GT1 category. The ACO objected that the car was outside the
    bounds and spirit of the rules. Poor Scott Atherton, desperate to fill fields (with entries of less
    than 30 cars at Sebring for a few years running) with interesting and relevant cars, must
    have flown back and forth to France a dozen times negotiating a deal to make it happen.

What came out of it all was an MC12 that was defanged with ballast and engine restrictions
    that left it with no way to compete for victories. It was such a great pity as the ACO's
    absolute refusal to allow "Supercars" into the category would have saved it. But, it wasn't
    seen that way in France for some reason.

None the less, Audi's withdrawal will leave a serious void. Things will never be the same
    again. Unless another manufacturer or two step up, the most important race in the world
    will become a Porsche steamroller again.

BHW

6. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    #31 Peter Tabmow, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    In addition to the obvious influence of the diesel scandal on this decision, Audi have been engaged in a pitched battle with the FIA since Le Mans over whether Audi have been cheating the fuel flow regulations (the FIA's position) or exploiting the poor performance of the originally homologated fuel flow sensors (Audi's position). Prompted by this, Audi are in fact stopping a year earlier than planned and delivering a slap in the face to the FIA. A new manufacturer LMP1 programme is not expected until 2018, so the gruel will be a little thin at the top next season.

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Homologation may have been a poor choice of words.

More like, make x-amount of cars available to privateer teams (not to speculators) to
    go compete.

It was always a revelation when a privateer like Joest, Kremer or Brun could beat the
    factory Porsches during the height of the Group C series.

At the 24 Hours of Daytona, there would be at least a dozen to 15 962s that had just
    as good a chance to win overall as the factory backed Al Holbert Racing team.

We need more of this today.

BHW

8. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    It was going to happen at some point...

9. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    At present, LMP1, hybrid or not, are only allowed to race in the WEC, but not in "regional" series like IMSA, ELMS, or ALMS which are only for private team running LMP2 & 3.

Thus, in America your 2 best endurance races - Daytona 24 hours and Sebring 12 hours- cannot have LMP1 competing. This is where it's wrong, in my view. These are prestigious races, but barred to the top cars. How did that happen?

Can the ACO explain why it send the WEC race at COTA, but not at Sebring? It doesn't make sense to me! The Austin track has no history attached to it compared to the Florida track that has 50 years+ of tradition.

The IMSA series is for LMP2 only, right? But they only allow 4 chassis, one US-made, 2 French ones and an Italian, I think. And they must all use the same mandatory engine.
    Maybe the rules are different in the States than in Europe, I am not sure.

The ACO that writes the rules is turning endurance into specs series. So I can see car manufacturers leaving and never coming back.

Having ORECA, and OAK, and RILEY chassis with GIBSON engines only allowed is not a recipe for future success, IMO.

What if car manufacturers want to enter? They can't!

10. Peter Tabmow

Nov 10, 2010
    The IMSA DPi class is for those four chassis with the option of fitting the Gibson motor OR a manufacturer crate engine. The latter requires bodywork with an element of manufacturer 'design cues'. So far Cadillac, Mazda, and Nissan are committed for 2017, with a handful of Gibson-powered entries as well.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I think the problem originates with the ACO introducing new categories, and the need to protect them in a ranking order.

Before, there was Le Mans Prototypes and GT; 2 distinct categories. The GT couldn't challenge the Protos. .

Then the ACO introduced LMP2, a restricted proto, so it had to make sure that the GT weren't faster; hence the reluctance to accept the Maserati MC12.

Now, in IMSA, ELMS and Asian Le Mans series, they have also introduced LMP3, which must slot between LMP2 and GTE. That's why they need to restrict GTE to avoid them being faster than their new-born category.

So, the ACO is in a quagmire of its own making. It cannot accept supercars because some could threaten the existence of its LMP2 & 3 categories.

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Well, lucky you, I say !!!

Here, we have to put up with the Gibson motor -based on a Nissan block, I am told?

Like in any series, diversity of cars, chassis and engines is essential, IMO.

13. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    There was a lack of participation in the P1 category so they got rid of it. Sure they had some teams come over for Daytona and Sebring, but all the other races only had 1 or 2 cars entered. I am all for LMP1, as long as there are enough cars to make it worthwhile. My fear is that with Audi leaving, and no privateer teams, it won't be worthwhile anymore.

14. Peter Tabmow

Nov 10, 2010
    #39 Peter Tabmow, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    There have actually been two Nissan-branded engines running around in LMP2 over the last few years. One was produced by Zytek – now Gibson – and was based on the last F3000 motor. The other is produced by Nismo based on their GT3 engine (from the GT-R). I believe next year's Gibson is an extensively reworked if not new design, whilst Nismo continues to develop its GT3 power plant.

Gibson obviously know a thing or two about how to extend the competitive life of racing technology: the Gibson (née Zytek) 015 LMP2 chassis which just won the European Le Mans Series title has its origins all the way back in the Reynard 2KQ prototype from 2000! If you find that hard to believe (and I wouldn't blame you) see mulsannescorner.com...

15. Yaddi, yaddi, yaddi, yaddi, yaddi.

It ain't sport anymore.

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

lorenzobandini

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I do believe you.

As for Gibson (ex Zytek), I think they got the engine contract because the bid for their chassis to be homologated for LMP2 was turned down.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Peugeot tech chief calls for low-cost non-hybrid LMP1s

Peugeot tech chief calls for low-cost non-hybrid LMP1s

But nothing can be done for 2017, so the LMP1 grid is going to be very small.

Probably that if the ACO (organising for the FIA) ban hybrids in 2018, Toyota and Porsche will be leaving too.

So the WEC will be run with LMP2, and become a specs series.

What a mess !!

18. Peter Tabmow

Nov 10, 2010
    Yep. And Ligier and ORECA agreed to split the LMP3 business between chassis for the former and engine for the latter...

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It looks to me like the French have taken over endurance racing !!

20. Peter Tabmow

Nov 10, 2010
    Crikey, William, that happened decades ago!

21. Took over? In essence, it's where it all started. ;)

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Endurance racing may have started in France, but it's only recently that the ACO has obtained the mandate to run the World Endurance Championship.

24. #49 lorenzobandini, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    deleted. 'Don't wanna go here.

25. #50 lorenzobandini, Oct 29, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    Okay. You've got me. I've been discredited. My non-credentials worthless. :eek:

But who, outside of France (the FIA Federation Internationale de l'Automobile and whoever prior to it's existence), has been running it? It has been my belief that since the inception of big time international endurance racing, those in Paris have been in charge and I haven't found otherwise at your instigation. All the years of the FIAWEC (http://www.fiawec.com/), World Championship of Makes, the variations of the World Sportscar Champioship, etc., etc., I thought have been under French leadership. I'm so ashamed.... :(

Elaborate please. :confused: