Audi Q7 4.2 vs. M-B GL450 vs. Caddy Escalade vs. Infinity QX56 | FerrariChat

Audi Q7 4.2 vs. M-B GL450 vs. Caddy Escalade vs. Infinity QX56

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by dlopez001, Jan 23, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dlopez001

dlopez001 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    DL
    In the market for a new SUV. Need 3rd row seating, but don't want something as big as a Suburban. I also don't want an SUV so small that the 3rd row is not very usable (e.g., Toyota Highlander).

Any opinions about Audi Q7 vs. M-B GL450 vs. Caddy Escalade vs. Infiniti QX56? Or is there something else I should consider? Is Acura MDX even in this league?

What about dropping to the smaller engine in the Audi Q7 or M-B GL? Is there a noticable difference in performance with the larger, more expensive engines?

Thanks for the advice!

2. Osiris_x11

Osiris_x11 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Perhaps the Lexus LX 570 is worth consideration, it's been newly redesigned. Here's a link for pics/specs.

I noticed all the full-sized SUVs you listed are from premium/luxury manufacturers, so I suppose the Toyota Sequoia wouldn't be of interest to you. It's also newly redesigned. Toyota/Lexus have proven over time to be a great value in terms of reliability, refinement/luxury, and quality/durability.

Regarding the Acura MDX, it's more on par w/ other mid-sized SUVs (ie. Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota 4Runner, Lexus GX470, BMW X5, Mercedes Benz ML, Cadillac SRX, etc').

Good luck in your search!

3. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    If your considering an Escalade, just buy a Tahoe and save the extra cash. It's the same damn vehicle aside from some pretty paint and maybe a little wood here and there. Same engine, same interior stuff, same in dash computer/etc.

4. masterflex164

masterflex164 Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2004
    New England
    I personally would go with the Audi or the Merc. Maybe I'm biased because my family has a Q7. It has the 3.6L V6 in it, and it MOVES! fine for its size. There's enough power to enjoy yourself here and there. The 4.2 is more noticeable at highway passings, and higher altitudes (mountains.) It's very spacious, and luxurious, and IMO, the best interior in its class. It actually kind of feels sporty to drive, and feels like a car to drive. If you can drive an A4, you can maneuver the Q7 with ease. Its turning radius is very tight also. And just recently, we had some snow, and the Q7 took it like a champ, as all Audis do. It's trunk is also very large, but if you're looking for a usable 3rd for Adults, skip the Q7. I'm about 5 11, and I can barely fit in the 3rd row. It is A VERY TIGHT FIT. I would last maybe 5 minutes tops. If you want tech toys, it is the best out of the choices, you gave. You can get a panorama sunroof that covers the whole roof. It even opens in the back for the 3rd row.

The 2nd one, that we cross shopped with the Audi with was the GL450. It's also very big, spacious, and I can actually sit in the 3rd row for a long trip without any problem. We didn't buy it because we couldn't find one in the color, we wanted, or could we get a Diesel one in our state (Maine.) If you want a great motor, I suggest the diesel GL because it also MOVES! A close friends of ours, who live outta state have a ML320 CDI Diesel, and the motor is very nice. If 3rd row is your main priority, get this. If you like tech. toys, you will be disappointed. The GPS system in this has been in Mercs, since the last 90s, and it is horrible. Everything else feels very 21th century though.

Skip the escalade. It's a spruced-up Chevy with some chrome, and a $20,000 mark-up over its Chevy counterpart.
    The infiniti is comfortable, but IT'S UGLY!!!

Overall, you can't go wrong with either German SUV. The GL is bigger, whoever 2nd row is more roomier in the Q7, but the 3rd row in the GL shines! They both feel similar to drive, however in the GL, you feel its girth a lot more, then the Q7, which feels more nimble and carlike. In both cars, be sure to get the rear air option, with separate controls for the rear. In the Q7, you can get a 4-zone climate control, which includes heated rear seats, and basically the car can manage 4 diff't temps, fan speeds, and where all the air is directed to also. You only get air vents in the 3rd row in the Q7, if you get 4-zone. It's very advanced. The GL gets heated rear seats, but its climate control is trizone. The back gets only one zone.

Congrats on whatever you buy. I''ll be looking forward to see what you end up with.

5. masterflex164

Oct 17, 2004
    New England
    MDX is too small, just the same size as the X5. However its engine is amazing! 300hp V6. 3rd row is useless in it though.

6. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I have to agree whith mickeyyeety. I look at all the SUVs listed and decided on the GL450. Good performance and interior seating is great - adults can fit comfortably in all seats. The vehicle is well appointed and the NAV suits my needs. It rides very nice. This all coming from someone who previously only drove sports cars and sports sedans.

7. OnTheLam

OnTheLam Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2007
    The Q7 4.2 with adaptive suspension, panorama sunroof and S-Line styling is hard to beat. I recently took mine from San Francisco to Salt Lake to Las Vegas and home again, through a major blizzard in Utah. The car drives beautifully. It is actually funny calling it a "SUV". Where are the initials for Luxury and Performance?

Justice

8. zoka

zoka Karting

Feb 5, 2006
    Bosnia BiH
    Full Name:
    Zoran Matkic
    Man did u saw new Bmw X5 ???

9. dlopez001

dlopez001 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    DL
    Regarding M-B GL 450 / 350 / Diesel -- Can the interior be optioned such that the 2nd row has two bucket seats instead of a bench (like in the Audi Q7)? An advantage of this is easy access to the 3rd row without having to flip up a bench seat (which is more difficult with child seats installed).

Regarding 'non luxury' brands -- Aside from the Toyota Sequoia and Chevy Tahoe / GMC Yukon (sub-par build quality?), what else is out there that has usable 3rd row seats? I've seen Nissan Armadas on the road...Honda Pilot seems no bigger than Acura MDX...

10. masterflex164

Oct 17, 2004
    New England
    No, it can't. Only bench, but it's very easy to get the 3rd row...

The X5 is the size of a mouse. I wouldn't last an hour in the 2nd row. It's so cramped.

Q7 and the GL are the winners in this segment, hands down.

11. masterflex164

Oct 17, 2004
    New England
    I have to agree with you, except we have a 3.6Prem., no air suspension (can't get it), and no s-line (couldn't find one with it), and it is a dream to drive.

let's call it a SLPTW

Sporty, Luxurious, Performance, "tall" wagon

12. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Unless your getting the Escalade ESV, the third row in the Escalade is useless for anyone bigger then 5 years old. Same with the Q7, the third row is useless as well. Motor Trend and Car and Driver did a comparison of suv's like this. The GL was the winner in both cases.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/11506/2007-audi-q7-42-quattro-vs-2007-cadillac-escalade-awd-vs-2006-infiniti-qx56-4x4-vs-2007-lincoln-navigator-4x4-vs-2007-mercedes-benz-gl450-4matic.html

Fifth Place: 2007 Lincoln Navigator 4x4
    Fourth Place: 2007 Cadillac Escalade AWD
    Third Place: 2006 Infiniti QX56 4x4
    Second Place: 2007 Audi Q7 4.2 Quattro
    First Place: Mercedes-Benz GL450 4MATIC

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suv/112_0607_full_size_suv_comparsion/

Third Place - 2007 Cadillac Escalade AWD
    Second Place - 2006 Land Rover LR3 HSE
    First Place - 2007 Mercedes-Benz GL450 4MATIC

Have you considered something like the Saturn Outlook/GMC Acadia/Buick Enclave? They have useable 3rd row seats, great build quality, good gas mileage among 3 row suvs (V6 + 6 speed Auto).

Tahoe is not the same as the Escalade. Same platform, but the Tahoe only has 4 speed Automatic and 5.3 V8 vs Escalades 6 speed Automatic and 6.2l V8. Escalade also has a better navigation system, bigger and a better layout then the Tahoe.

13. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    My wife drove all of the examples listed and chose the Infiniti QX56...that was almost 3 years ago and she still loves it ... it has plenty of room in all three rows, is luxurious with the leather/nav/dvd package, looks good for an SUV, will pull a 9000 pound+ trailer and has been 100% reliable in over 40k miles. The only down side so far has been an average of only 15mpg...

14. OnTheLam

OnTheLam Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2007
    SLPTW it is then.

15. masterflex164

Oct 17, 2004
    New England
    :). If you love the Q7 so much, you should come over to AudiWorld, and join there. There's a pretty active Q7 section.

16. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    We have a GL 450-25K miles over the last year- love it. Looked at the Audi last week as a second SUV- my plastic allergy required a double dose of benadryl. Truth be told, bought a Hummer SUT- will still need a decongestant. The MB drives circles around all others you mentioned.

17. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Have a look at the MB 320 CDI...

18. dlopez001

dlopez001 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    DL
    Heard good things about the engine, just don't know if its an option in California. I'll try to stop by dealership this weekend. I'll also take a look at Audi Q7 & Infinity Q56, and I'm taking Escalade off my list.

THIS FORUM HAS BEEN MOST USEFUL! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    It is available in California only by Limited Lease...no purchase option ...see mice type ... http://www.mbusa.com/campaigns/alternative-fuels/index.do