Attorney help needed in CO | FerrariChat

Attorney help needed in CO

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by UpNorth, Jan 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Hi,

A friend of mine has a son (canadian) who got a court summon from the Colorado State Patrol for speeding at 86 in a 65 zone.
    Don't know why he didn't get just a fine...?
    He needs to be in court on march 16.
    Is there a way out without going back to Breckenridge or something like that?
    I will post this in another section so I can get some attention to this.
    Thanks in advance.

2. dreichman

dreichman Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    I think in Colorado if you are caught 20+ mph above the speed limit you have to go to court. As you can see the police officer wrote the ticket for 21 mph over. I don't think that was by mistake. Sometimes, depending on the "officer's mood" they would write the ticket for 19 over the limit. Unfortunately, I have experience with this... I'm afraid you may have to go to court. You could have a lawyer represent you if you are unable to go because you live out of state or other such reasons. Good Luck!

3. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Thanks. And a special one to texasmr2!!

4. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Don't know anyone in Summit, but I could possibly ask around.

Yes, you're going to have to appear (by counsel, ought to be fine, though). Your counsel will likely strike a plea arrangement with the prosecutor, and that agreement will just be entered to the court.

CW

5. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Last informations are that after a telephone conversation with the communication center of CSP he will likely not have to go to court but pay a well earned fine...End of story. Thanks all.

6. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Glad it worked out alright. We've all been there...

CW

7. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I believe you have to appear on the date on the ticket. If you plead not guilty you have to go court later. They should offer you a fine and points deal to avoid court. If you agree and pay the fine you will have no further obligation.

8. RJW599

RJW599 Rookie

Jul 21, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Robert Watson
    Only thing to consider is if you do show up a) the officer might not and then you can plead not guilty and walk or b) cut a deal with the court officer to reduce ticket so lower fine and reduced points against license. That is a 6 point ticket I think.