Attempting to learn a new skill | FerrariChat

Attempting to learn a new skill

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by JP365, Apr 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Image Unavailable, Please Login So I’m posting this here to force me to follow through with this project. Since I am to all intents and purposes confined to my home for the foreseeable future, I decided to learn a new skill. I bought a beginning watch repair book and some basic tools. I’ll be ordering gear oils tomorrow and a watch hand replacement tool. I have Jewelers screwdrivers from model railroading (not pictured). The first two watches run, but have issues. The third watch is seized. I’m starting with the Waltham with a broken stem and crown. It has a cheap St96 movement. If that goes well, I’ll proceed to the 1928 Bulova with missing hands. Finally, the non-working Russsian paratroopers watch. I’ll post pictures as I go along.

LightGuy, TWK, poljav and 4 others like this.
  2. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You'll need something to clean them with. An ultrasonic, some beakers, cleaning solutions, and One-Dip.
    And get some Rodico if you don't have it, good for cleaning as well as picking up and holding small parts without damage.
    Check out Timezone Watch School if you want another learning option.

3. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Th
    Thanks for the tips. Started reading the book last night and already adding to my supplies list. Journey of a thousand miles....

4. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Well @JP365 , Where are these updates your promised?!?! You're not alone in starting this hobby.

5. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    I posted this to help keep me accountable and I have not lived up to my own challenge. Time (no pun intended) to refocus and get to work on learning how to repair watches.

walnut likes this.
  6. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    My 2 cents having done this as a hobby for 35 years...
    1. Always start on something you don't care too much about and/or something you can get parts for (I've re-restored my first project maybe 3 times now *laugh*). The 1928 Bulova is reasonable as parts are plentiful and many Bulova movements cross/reference to a number of the Swiss companies as they had contracts with them (e.g. many of their movements are really Swiss designs). Parts are interchangeable and don't usually have serial numbers on them so you can replace without anyone knowing. Frankly I think many in the past recommended working on pocket watches given the scale is bigger and you can more easily see what's going on. Remember though the man's Bulova is about the size of today's ladies movement so it is still small.
    2. Buy the best tools you can
    3. Don't be a jack of all trades early. You could consider focusing on case/bracelet/crystal change-outs or movement restoration. Don't pretend to become an escapement expert quickly....
    4. Practice, practice, practice. How long did it take me to become good? Probably 20 years and still getting better.
    5. Use a light touch, don't force anything and don't apply to much oil. If you can see the oil drop it's probably too much.....
    6. Lastly figure out when you're best (I'm not in the morning after coffee - I can see my tweezers shake). I work best from 7:30 - 10 pm.
    Hope this helps!
    ...Dan.

Lusso123 and GordonC like this.
  7. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    One more piece of advice (there's always more), Don't take short-cuts! That's were I've made 90% of my mistakes. Either you lose a part, break a part, break a tool or somehow manage to damage something.
    Example, tomorrow I am going to add two timing washers to the balance of a 5 1/2 ligne ladie's watch to slow it down 2 minutes to get the regulator in the middle. It takes about the smallest washer made. I've done it before. Basically just trying to get the screw back in the balance wheel is going to be either a 2 minute job or a 30 minute nightmare. I could unscrew the cock and balance assembly, flip it upside down and do it together. However the hairspring is so fragile that even moving the terminal curve slightly will destroy the motion of the balance to 1/2 of what it should do and timing will be done for. So, I'm going to unscrew the stud from the cock and disassemble separately. I will then have to re-clean and oil the balance and reassemble - extra time and steps but less risky. Watch work is like a game of chess. Multiple ways to win but you have to plan it out.

Lusso123 and GordonC like this.
  8. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F