Atlantic City Auction '82 400i 5speed Sold! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Atlantic City Auction '82 400i 5speed Sold!

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 1974gt4, Feb 21, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Randy,

If you look a little further down the thread list you will see a thread devoted to this car... Check out Brett's last post on itL

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=140310247&postcount=42

Cheers,

Sam

2. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Dont do it! leave the poor defensless 400 series alone they are happy they dont want folks coming along and trying to change the way they were built.
    Yours Sincerely
    The 400 POLICE
    PS if you want power increase you could put new carbs do a bit of tuning and get another 100 or so HP look what the race spec Daytonas did from stock engine.

3. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    i'm sure you're just kidding around...but no, it wouldn't be easy and i doubt it's even possible.
    so unless you're comfortable seeing your 400 in peices for years while you try it, don't do it.
    more importantly though, why would anyone ever trade the sound of 365/400 motor for the sake of a little performance ? that would be a bad trade off...

you should probably qualify that a bit Jay...

a properly tuned 365/400/400i is a fast, fast car...not 360 fast, obviously...but very fast, nonetheless.
    as Al suggests, you'd be way better off building a performance 365/400 motor...
    but again, a strong stock motor in good tune makes these cars feel like they way 1000lbs less than they do...they absolutely fly.

4. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Well there you go-

Lots of people come on here cause these are the cheapest Ferraris- But they are not modern Ferraris- not 360s-

Brett- as you and I discussed a 400i with a motor built right is STRONG and quite fast- but not like my 355...

5. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    yes, in the same way a 599 owner wouldn't buy a 355 for the performance...know what i mean ?

he'd buy it because it was a 355...not because he was expecting to shave a few tenths off his best time at Limerock in his 599.

different era's, different technologies...wouldn't anyone considering one have that in mind and have accordingly different expectations ?

150+ mph from the factory and the worlds fastest 4 seaters back in the day...

6. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    The whole primmest of buying a Ferrari to go fast is not a good one, kind of like buying a Rolex to keep track of the time, there is more to it than #'s.

7. Flat_Twelve

Flat_Twelve Karting

Dec 28, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    +1 to that and Amen!

I think that's the best way I've ever heard anyone put it.

8. randyleepublic

randyleepublic Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Thanks for the input. I basically agree, although I still think a 365 with a 550 drive train would be hell of cool. Better weight distribution, a 6-speed, and if you re-do the 550's induction to use ITBs, you would have all the music you could handle. :p

9. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston

10. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    #60 randyleepublic, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
    OK, I bow to the superior knowledge and wisdom of the 400 deputies. No 550 project.

Here's what I am going to do: get a regular old 365. Drive it for a little while. Decide I love it as much as you guys. Yank the engine out. Send it to Mark Eberhardt. Tell him to give it "the works". Put the now 500 plus hp, dead reliable, sonically awe-inspiring, "365" engine back into the grateful little ol' coupe.

OK?

Oh yeah, and, if along the way, a "Daytona" 365 engine gets switched for the original equipment, you'd be all right with that also, right?

11. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Good man
    you will love the 365 series
    Regards
    Alastair

12. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    I've always thought so. They remind me of the most charming new car I ever drove, the 1973 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe, but, unlike the 124, not potato chip fragile. Plus all the 12 cylinder goodness, plus the Connolly leather, plus, plus, plus!

13. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    #63 aidanparte, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
    There was an Australian guy on this forum a couple of years ago and he started a project to put a 456 engine/transmission in a 400. IIRC, he had two 400s and a 456 from which to cobble together the new beast. I think the project petered out fairly quickly as there were only a couple of posts on his blog (http://users.tpg.com.au/atrampus/blog/). Seemed like a good idea!

14. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    I've always had this "thing" about gear driven cams. I think that this is a long shot though as Googling fails to uncover any of them for sale. I guess they have all been put in re-bodied Corvettes, and sold as the real thing. :rolleyes: