Atlantic City Auction '82 400i 5speed Sold! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Atlantic City Auction '82 400i 5speed Sold!

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 1974gt4, Feb 21, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    gotcha, thanks.

i wish i could offer some consolation in the same way Jay has...but, unfortunately, i think you may have missed out on a great car, albeit for the right reasons.
    you will certianly find another car...but it too may take a leap of faith at some point.
    i assume that, since you couldn't make the trip personally, you asked if you could at least have a local F-chatter check it out ?

i disagree Jay...everything that i see tells me that is a serious car and i'll be very, very surprised if it turns out to be otherwise...
    and perhaps, rather than hiding something, he doesn't have time (or wasn't inclined) to 'jump through' any pre-sale hoops when he's just giving his car away anyway...
    i've known that to happen on many, many occasions...and frankly, my mindset wouldn't be that different if it were my car.
    right, wrong, whatever...if i was giving my 400 away, it would be kind like 'well, it's $30K...do you want it or not ?'...if you need to spend some money on it, join the club.
    'cause, looking at those pics i can tell you, somebody's 'into' that car for a ton of dough.
    if a Seriies II 5-speed was my cup tea and i loved the colour, i would have moved mountains to get over to see that car at $34K.
    maybe, just maybe, the owner sensed that and wasn't prepared invest more time in the potential buyer.

i'm not trying to start something, but a sweeping statement like "his story confirms" something, anything isn't reality...they're could be any number of other reasons.

the pics of that car speak much louder to me...but, again, 1974gt4 'walked' for the right reasons.

i would have asked the guy if that was his pad in the pics...whoever owns that place doesn't look like somebody who half-asses his stuff....know what i mean ?

2. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Brett-

Well just offering my opinion- I have no idea if the car is good or bad- But my point was what's the difference?? Nice color- Nice interior- books and tools- $30K?? No brainer for me.

But you know as well as I do- many guys with nice houses with 400s and 412s who just do not drive them- and then in teh face of another $8+ repair bill they get rid of them- usually trading them in at the local "Highline" auto dealer for $20K, then auction, then wind up at Ed Waterman's shop or at Forza or wherever for $32K with a few quick and dirty repairs.

But I personally will NEVER buy a car from a seller who is uncooperative- Just a personal morality kind of thing- I don't do business with people who do not afford me the same level of respect that i am willing to afford them- so i passed on several REALLY nice cars just cause the seller was a jerk- cause it's just a car after all.

I was prepared to overpay by a substantial margin to get what i wanted, but I did make very lowball offers on a few other cars with a cash reserve to get the car up to the level I wanted-

So i totally agree that this looks like a really great car bought very cheap... But if the seller would not under ANy circumstance either share the service history or allow a PPI- then a buyer 3000 miles away HAS to pass- doesn't he?

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Its a small world, we'll eventually find out the story of the car. Hopwefully we'll see it on the road!

Regards,

Art S.

4. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Yes let's hope!! i think this is going to be a nice car for new owner-

Heck I probably would have offered the full price when I investigated it a few months ago if it did not have the damned Blue leather/Blue carpets- just not a fave of mine.

5. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Hey Art,

This car was from NJ, right? And it was shown at a number of local Ferrari event (like the fall festival in the Morristown area)? Somebody must know this car? I believe I have seen the car in person a couple of times, but never really looked it over...

6. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    seems we're on the same page...

and i'm not suggesting for a moment that the car is a Bella Machina contender (shift knob, aerial, etc.), but from what i see, the value proposition seems outstanding.

like you, i'm just working off a gut feeling...or did you go after this car ?

is that why you say the guy flat-out refused a PPI or to provid service history ? because i didn't get that from what 1974gt4 said...
    from his comments it came across that the owner just wasn't overly accomodating to those requests.

7. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Brett-

Yeah sort of- $38k seemed cheap to me for a 5-speed in that kind of shape- So I did inquire about it- but then the next day I saw the Blue 412 in Florida and for me personally, I just did not care for the blue dash/blue carpet. Once I saw a few photos I sort of dropped it.

From pictures the red interiors looked AWFUL and the blue looked GREAT- but to my eye, in person, I loved the red and bought it while the blue did not appeal to me.

8. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    ...the deal went down.

If something doesn't feel right ....it isn't.

Auctions are the antiseptic dumping ground. I mean that a car in any condition can be sold " as-is". Of course any used car is as is.

However, I decided that it was like when the roofer walks in...looks up and says " any visible leaks?" the implication is that there are invisible leaks...

I think same with this car from what I could see, which was not much.

The visible leak was the a/c, buying it at $30k was my comfort level for the "invisible leaks".

They all need something...I liked the blue, and would have been prepared to fix whatever it needed...which is what I suspect most of these 30+ year old cars need. Maybe I dodged a bullet, maybe I missed a good one. $30k felt right, sight unseen, no service history, I have done smarter things. Obviously Not demonstrated here.

9. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Well, that may or may not be true but the guy walked away from $3,400 because it was too much trouble to have his car loaded onto a flatbed for a cost free roundtrip to the PPI and back.

No amount of looking at photos can tell you what the compression and leak down tests will tell you about engine condition and no amount of photos will tell you about the condition of the clutch, the synchros in the transmission and whether there is a differential whine.

A buyer can expect to replace tires, suspension bushings, maybe even a clutch or some synchros and a bunch of other things but the real deal killer would be a duff engine.

A full engine rebuild will cost $25K and that is the biggest risk that I see on this deal. Maybe there is a 95% probability that it is fine, but how would anyone know without the PPI?

Just sayin'

10. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    #35 brettski, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
    yup...like i said a couple of times or more...he walked for the right reasons...but he might have walked away from a really, really good car.

no big deal...Series II's seem to come up a little more often and, as he said, he really ought buy a car that's already Kalifornicated.

but "Mario", i asked a couple of questions that i'm curious about, if you wouldn't mind indulging me...

did the owner flat-out refuse a PPI and refuse to show paperwork...because that's what is been implied here...or, as i asked previously, was he just sluggish to get to it ?

and did you see if somebody local to the car good go see it, so the owner wasn't put out at all and you could have some feedback ? if you did, did he refuse ?

thanks...and i really promise to let this go after that...

oh, one more thing...do you think you've spent enough time with the '400 gang' now that we ought to have a real name to call you by...first, at least ?

11. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    BTW, the seller of this car had it on the market since 2006. The car has covered 4,000 miles between 2000 and 2011 or I should say the odometer has advanced by that amount.

12. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    hmmm...pity.

13. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    #38 1974gt4, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
    >>>No flat out refusal, no. He mentioned that he was blessed with a successful small business and didn't want to jump through hoops to 'sell' the car....Which I found odd, because he told all of Fchat forum that the car was for sale in the previously mentioned thread...Did he expect to have an easier buyer than myself who would wire money sight unseen? He offered the car for $38k, and then $35k, then bottom line was $34k...

I offered to him that when HE bought it HE had the benefit of looking over the file 2.5 inches thick and maybe had a ppi....what was I supposed to do? (rhetorical to the seller...)
    The seller was expedient with email replies and generally helpful...however he wouldn't get the car off the lift to extract the receipt bider from the trunk and snow was a problem for transportation...evidently.

>>>I did NOT ask a local to do the leg work for me. I rather take my chances than encumber anyone else who would have questionable authority, or knowledge base. I think the real deal was was a ppi at Ferrari of Philly, or a independent shop owner...however the auction date turned up the volume a bit, and the other constraints...the blue was an emotional decision. I really fell for that combo...I mean blinking red light in the corner of my eye, "bad decesion" echoing in my head when I offered my money, in his pocket to him in 3 days...but I can't bloody well take it with me now can I?

Joseph, my name is Joseph, Brett.

FYI I just drove a black on Black 1984 Auto yesterday, Ca Title only though, excellent driving car, even for an auto, a 30k mile example, Missed a silver 5 speed sold at Dino Motors In San Carlos, an inter customer sale, I was promised the next call if it didn't pan out...so I am trying.

Drove to Arizona to see and drive Fritz's red 400 5 speed.

Yea, I guess I am in the gang.

14. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Welcome Joseph-

yeah you and I have been down the same road- Lots of dead ends and uncooperative sellers- Torn between the sporting nature of the 5 Speed and the elegance and smoothness of the auto... Torn between the various colors... wondering whether it's better to buy the best one out there or buy a car a little cheaper and bank some dough for repairs and restoration....

I wound up with both a 5 speed and an auto - and absolutely NO regrets- You always gotta listen to your HEART when buying expensive toys- cause the math never adds up...

15. GreggG

GreggG Karting

Jul 14, 2008
    New Jersey
    Joseph, be patient. I sifted through a few options, also missed a few opportunities (not without some frustration, mind you), before I was able to execute on something. Things happen for a reason. The old cliche rings true, when one door closes, another opens. If you want it to happen, it will. Just keep at it.

16. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    Gregg, and Jay, thanks for the kind words, alot of looking down rabbit holes, I am loosing a bit of my gumption, however there are more than a few of these cars out there...cars are a bit like girls or busses, if not this one, another will come along in a few moments..

17. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    thanks Joseph.

brett

18. randyleepublic

randyleepublic Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    You guys talk a lot about "400s", but the 365s are pretty much the same car aren't they? Or are they? Moto Exotica in St. Louis has a 365 w/ 5 speed that I like a lot... Comments? Anybody know anything about that car?

19. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Randy,

poke around this section a bit. I think you will find that the brown 365 you referred to has been discussed extensively. Brett, care to comment... :D :D ;)

Regards,

Art S.

20. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Uh-oh. I don't like the sound of that. I just spoke to my buddy who is an employee at one the better known shops, and he said, "Get a 550, you'll be a LOT happier."

So now I know what I really want: a 365 GT4 2+2 with a transplant of engine, driveshaft and transaxle from a 550.

That'd be an easy job, no? :D

21. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    No.

22. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Oh well, I think the problems that my buddy is concerned about are exaggerated. I emailed his boss - we'll see what the great man has to say...

Has anyone ever gotten rid of the distributors by installing a modern ignition system? I think that would be a good mod that wouldn't mess with the character of the car, and solve what sounds like the biggest headache.

Can the cam chain be changed with the engine in place?

23. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    A couple of months ago Miller Motorcars had a 550 offered for something in the neighborhood of $75K. I have to say that the prices of 550s are getting pretty attractive.

24. Flinch

Flinch Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2009
    Holland and Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter El Cheapo
    Chain can be replaced with the engine in the car. Basically everything except for the oil/waterpumps can be done with the engine in the car. I still think these engines are bulletproof and only need basic maintenance and if you can work on say a Fiat 124 Spider, you can do the maintenance yourself. Technical parts are available and no too expensive compared to fi Porsche parts ;)

25. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    For sure- In fact- get a BMW 5 Series- You'll be INCREDIBLY happier.

These are classics- Vintage cars that are not old enough to be expensive...yet. If you don't absolutely love the idea of a 365/400/412... don't buy one for performance.