Aston Martin Racing | FerrariChat

Aston Martin Racing

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by NürScud, Oct 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Hello guys. I was watching the Porsche's test with the 2017 GTE car in Sebring today and i was wondering something. With the new cars from Ferrari, Ford, Porsche and Corvette, is there any chance to see Aston Martin replacing the great Vantage with the new DB11. I'm saying this because Vantage is the 'oldest' platform on the grid right now and this year they used only some new aerodynamics elements according to the rules.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    That Aston Martin Racing exists at all is a minor miracle.

When Aston Martin arrived on the scene in 2006 with the full factory Prodrive entered DBR9 GT1
    cars, it was almost as if the company was embarrassed to be racing. The atmosphere around the
    team was very odd. The company threw cold water all over their chances of finishing much less
    winning. Not a great way to keep up team morale.

Even the Aston Martin Owners Club (AMOC) which had an opportunity to be on full display at the
    debut race at Sebring suddenly pulled the plug on having their Members gathered in attendance
    despite their event within an event being fully sponsor funded. It seemed the blue blood AMOC
    hierarchy in the northeast had their noses out of joint about one of their events taking place out
    of their backyards.

None the less, the DBR9 GT1 won in its debut at Sebring and Aston Martin under Dave Richards'
    direction has been involved in racing ever since.

If Aston Martin are to remain involved, they'll have to step up to match the challenge of Ferrari,
    Porsche, Corvette, etc., all of which are coming to the 2017 with completely new packages.

Read the other day that Kevin Buckler's 2017 plans are somewhat on hold until he knows that
    Aston Martin will be bringing upgrades.

Over in the WEC, Aston Martin is in contention for the championship, locked in a virtual dead heat
    with Ferrari in the points, with two races remaining. And, despite the unexplainable attitude coming
    from Gaydon in 2006, fans of Aston Martin may take heart that Dave Richards has kept them in the
    racing scene ten years on.

BHW

3. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Nice read and thank you about your response. However i can't understand something. The competition is so strong and is getting even stronger in case that Aston Martin want to pause or 'wait' new upgrades. Do you believe that the Vantage platform is still competitive opposite to Ferrari, Ford, Porsche etc?

I believe that they are not in a position to wait and see what (and if) comes next. Of course this is my personal opinion.

Best
    :)

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Whichever platform they decide to run, Aston Martin may be at a disadvantage in future, being the only manufacturers to field a front-wheel drive GTE.

Chevrolet has announced that its Corvette is switching to central engine in 2018 (a mistake in commercial terms in my book, but never mind), leaving Aston as the odd one out there.

5. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Do you mean "front-engine"?

6. You mean all these years I've been under the false impression that's what they've been? If "switching" is pushing the engine further forward, methinks there'll be a slight understeer problem....

I'm gettin' dizzy.... :eek:

edit: Aaahhh... My mistake. I see now you meant the Aston.... :eek:

7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yes, that's what I meant!!

Thanks.

8. So! Get it right next time!!! :p

(as I should.... :D)

9. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    No problem. I was just having a freak out because I thought maybe AM was switching to front wheel drive, and was like "Noooooooo!!!!"

10. Alas, if driven in reverse however, it would be rear engine, rear drive with new tech rear-steer; none of my aforementioned understeer.....hmmmmm :confused:.....something to ponder.....:rolleyes:

:D:D:D

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end...."

lorenzobandini