Asking price for a Ferrari Daytona? | FerrariChat

Asking price for a Ferrari Daytona?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Darryl, Dec 3, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Darryl

Darryl Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    I have a a buddy whom has a Ferrari Daytona. I don't know the year but what would be a good sale price? I would rate it a 7 on a scale of 1-10.
    Can you please tell me if this would be a great car to own, drive, etc.?
    Darryl

2. Telerding

Telerding Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    Santa Maria/CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Elerding
    Two good sources of information on this are:

Ferrari Market Letter (Ferrarimarketletter.com) - publishes twice monthly updates to asking prices

Cavalino magazine - publishes regular (6/year) updates to Ferrari Prices Realized.

Of course you need subscriptions for these.

You might post a question on this at the Daytona registry site (ferrariregistry.net).

With what little info you have given, my best guess would be $200K +/- $25K or so, with bias toward the lower end. I think prices have slipped a little bit in the last few months. Condition, condition, condition is what determines the value.

Daytonas are GREAT cars. Beautiful, powerful, fun to drive, and generally easy to work on. But, they can be very expensive if you need serious work. I am having my engine rebuilt, and it will be costing me $25K or so for a complete rebuild (due to broken valve and damaged piston)

Caveat Emptor!

3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Rather than just prices dropping, inventory seems to keep piling up...

4. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Prices dropping? Algar was asking $272K for theirs and its sold now. I doubt they dropped the price $70K.

There was also a nice Daytona sold at the Goodwood auction in this months SCM for about $275K.

I do not see any more inventory advertised currently than has been on the market on average throughout the last couple of years. In fact, I just flipped through the lastest issue of FML, Classic and Sportscar, Thoroughbred and Classic Cars, Octane and Motorsports and while the same dealers have the same cars often in multiple publications there seem to be only 10-12 cars in total advertised and thats globally.

It does seem that cars with needs however are not moving. Asking prices of around $225K for cars in "driver" condition with some clear flaws have been chopped and it appears the interest in such cars is pretty slack. Smart people know the "driver" bought for $220K cannot be made into the really great car at $275K for anywhere near the difference in price. This would lead me to think the really great car is worth every penny of $275K, but the #3 condition driver should be a $150-175K car tops.

Terry

5. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    Condition 1 Daytonas are being insured for 3 large, no questions asked by the "agreed value" notible insurance companies.

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I'll find out today for sure, but you're right, Algar is not in the business of discounting a car they had less than a month by 20%+.

It was an excellent driver condition car, but it had needs. New paint was in it's not too distant future, and the interior was nice, but not perfect. It was excellent mechanically. So does that make this an ~$270K car? Apparently so.

DM