As I Found It! | Page 13 | FerrariChat

As I Found It!

Discussion in '348/355' started by mackb61, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Yes he did say he was working with his other toys.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    waiting on your response Novice.

3. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    LOL!!!

4. SandSpike

SandSpike Rookie

Dec 14, 2009
    I've been a lurker for some time and this thread encouraged me to register and keyboard my first post. I believe that there is a lot more to the story than we'll ever know. We are only hearing one side of it. Please Mack come back. If for no other reason than I, and I'm sure others, need closure on the restoration process. Don't let politics get in the way.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Come on Novice, you can post. We're supposed to value the opinion and show any respect to someone that attacks and then can't back up what they said? posts like this and users registering an alias and anonymous account to post an attack shows the underbelly of some users here. We’re not going to let you attack the good things we have going and turn FerrariChat into TrollChat. you can go elsewhere if that's the type of place you want.

6. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    No organization achieves excellence without strong leadership. Thanks, Rob!

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I appreciate it Mark, I don't do everything perfect, but I'm always trying and do learn from my mistakes. I'm positive about FerrariChat going forward and I'm looking for users that are positive too.

8. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    LOL! :D

Thanks. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

9. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    This is NOT a post I would expect to see from the owner of this or any site. I agree there are rules and they need to be followed. However, here we have an obvious (to me at least) out of touch post by "Novice". He never responded and may have never logged on again - as the owner you can track his use I suppose. But for you as the respected owner of the site to continue to goad him serves what purpose? If it is someone posting under a different alias (as your hint at in the above post) and you know that for a fact - deal with that user off-line.

I thought I expected better from you as I have seen some of your other rulings and pretty much agreed with them. Maybe I was wrong in my expectation. Delete the "Novice" post and your references to it and move on. It serves no purpose in this thread - or any other for that matter.

10. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Curt

Rob is about as even handed as it gets. There is no reason to hash out the particulars of what happened in this thread other than to negatively push overall questions about how this site is run despite the underlying facts. Rob is the last person who would stifle conversations on this board without good reason and has gone out of his way to comment specifically on this thread. The thread is great, no doubt, however, it is even less likely to go the way we would all like it to go by questioning the symptom for its recent halt (by the O.P.).

Most of the conjecture is much ado about nothing and an easy resolution can be had. Let's perhaps let it unfold as it will and hope all sides meet a mutually beneficial resolution :)

11. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Can we agree to disagree? Rob is a fair guy from what I've seen. I can't speak for all moderators here, but this is one of the few forums I can come on & not get instantly banned for differing from popular opinion. I seem to have a knack for royally pissing people off :(

Anyway, Novice et al, swallow your pride & stand down. I'm sure nobody will remember this in a few months. Enjoy Fchat!!!

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/member.php?u=63710

You assumed correctly that I know when last a user visited and actually where they visited. You won't have to agree, but I don't let a user get away with false accusations for nothing. If you can walk the talk, then fine, I respect that, if not I will drill you a multiple of how you attempted to injure FerrariChat.com or Rob Lay. Yes, there are many people that are more forgiving and not as tough as me. Not the way I do things though.

So far Novice has just proved to be a coward all talk, no walk.

13. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #313 tashier, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
    I think what all sponsers on forums need to understand is that content is and should be provided by the members and isn't and shouldn't be controlled or edited by the site. It should be in their contract. Sponsers should be free to advertise but not able to control content. I was on another forum and was banned when I mentioned that their #1 sponser had outrageous prices. Sorry, but it was the truth. That said, I have had nothing but total satisfaction from sponsers of this site.

It's just not good to see stuff like this and hear of good people on this site beginning to jump ship.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I bet you we allow more feedback for and against Sponsors and Non-Sponsors than most other sites. What we don't allow is Commercial Spam from Non-Sponsors.

Your post and my response really have nothing to do with this thread though.

15. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That is harsh. Rather than ban you, that sponsor should have come back with a statement that will explain/justify their costs....for example "our service/product sets us apart from the rest because......hence our higher than normal costs".

That would have been more effective, more professional, and likely better for that company's business than banning somebody for giving their opinion (and the truth it seems) and acting like a Dictator.

16. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    Once a contender for thread of the year, its time we had a funeral and bury this thread.

17. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    All the threads regarding this topic have been closed. This was the closest thing to it.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    How am I supposed to have a discussion with you guys when you're making up crap. The David Helms thread was only closed for a couple hours back then and has been open since. No one has posted to it for awhile, but that isn’t my fault.

19. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    +1. What a bleedin' shame.

20. furnacerepair

furnacerepair Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Martini
    Great job on this car. A Ferrari is never cheap. I tell everybody, Paid for two and got one. LOL A labor of love. Keep up the good work.

21. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    J FN C...
    This place is worse than communism. Can't someone even post their positive experiences with another vendor other than the title sponsor? By the way, Ricambi is fantastic, but isn't competition a good thing for all of us owners?
    Ferrarichat is a business. As posters, we own the business by being the sole providers of content, yet we see limited returns when our content (and subscription $$$) conflicts with the dictators interest.
    Many others have seen the writting on the wall here and have left for other Ferrari forums that are user driven and not controled by the $$$. I know at least 2 former sponsors who are no longer here due to the political highschool games that are played here.
    Do a google search... There are other places to discuss our passions without the BS.

22. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Personally, I think this post is BS...

As posters, we don't 'own' crap. We contribute to the discussion. Period. Some contribute productively, others are non-productive, and others just post with a neutral effect.

Limited returns??? The 'return on our investment' is the wealth of technical advice, the peer-to-peer support, and the community atmosphere.

Dictator's Interest? What a lame, biased, unsupportable comment.

I remain in a constant state of amazement ... High School games indeed.

Mike in Kuwait

23. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Not really.

When posters leave for whatever reason, the site looses material. If all the good posters leave (dave helms, Rifledriver, etc...) then this site will no longer offer that "peer to peer support".

Maybe dictators is a bit harsh, but the truth is there have been a few posters who were banned simply because there views didn't jive with those of the man behind the curtain.

24. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I've stayed out of this thread for a couple pages, but now I' gonna wade back in.

This site is not perfect. No site is. But, if content, # of posts, # of members, # of hits and just sheer volume of information means anything, this site is a success, and one that Ferrari enthusiasts visit more than an other site of its type.

Worldwide membership. Owners of every Ferrari model ever built posting here with regularity. Mechanics, dealers, parts distributors and manufacturers, and a whole bunch of everyday Joes who just love cars. Pretty successful in my book.

Where's the mass exodus? Sure, guys come and go, but often as not, they come right on back. Why? Because this is the #1 site of its type, and it has more and better content than any of the competition.

The "view of the man behind the curtain" is his vision for FerrariChat.com. He makes sure that we as moderators "get it" and his active presence here insures that all of the membership understands his passion for this site and Ferraris. He's not some giant corporation, he's a guy in Texas living his dream, and making that dream accessible to thousands of folks everyday.

It's worked for 9+ years as the site has grown from 1 guy to tens of thousands. Not everyone can be happy all the time, but Rob manages to keep 99%+ that way 99% of the time, and that's not a bad track record.

At the same time, this is his lively hood. He has to make sure that there's a balance between members and sponsors. I think he manages that pretty damn well too.

Last but not least. You have a site where you can express your contrary position, at least until you cross the line and break a rule. This is the least arbitrary site I visit when it comes to that. Folks don't get banned for disagreeing with the populist point of view. They get banned for pushing a rule past its limit.

Rob a dictator? Nah, not even close. Passionate? You betcha.

DM

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Please name the two sponsors you claim.

Have you ever thought the reason FerrariChat.com has so many users, so much activity, and so many sponsors is because we keep it a nice decent place to share our passion for Ferrari? What could damage FerrariChat.com more than anything is allowing a couple trolls ruin it for thousands. Users and sponsors wouldn't want to be here if we allowed that crap, so it is actually exactly opposite of what you claim. I'm sorry if you are a troll or friend of a troll, then this place shouldn't be friendly for you.