As I Found It! | Page 12 | FerrariChat

As I Found It!

Discussion in '348/355' started by mackb61, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jimi900

Jimi900 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    I sure hope one posts about being able to buy parts at a local store (ie AutoZone) for cheaper than a sponser...
    I to have to say Boo for being banned fo something like this, yes there are rules, but I read this forum everyday, and I see how rules are broke everyday.

Let the guy come back, or at least a moderator come on an tell us something..

Jim

2. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    IMO, this sucks.

3. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    It qualified even before the ban.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    good post.

I appreciate that most users are to the point now that if some moderation happens, that there was a reason behind it even if not widely known.

mackb61 was not banned for the Ferrparts posts, but that might be part of the back story and his motivation for this action that got him banned.

users are free to recommend or put down whoever they want, sponsor or not. we only ask they aren't an agent or plant for the non-sponsor or that they post in direct response to thread or post started by a sponsor.

I am 100% convinced there were no plants in either the Ferrparts or Dave Helms threads. In both cases I required a minimum amount of time to do my due diligence to determine that. With a freeze on the Dave Helms thread while I talked to Dave on the phone there was a clear warning not to reopen the discussion in that short period of time. mackb61 was the only user out of hundreds involved with that thread that didn't respect my request and blatantly opened another thread challenging my request and authority as administrator of this site.

If I give my 3 year old a reasonable request and she tests my authority and disobeys, then she gets to put her nose in the corner. When timeout is over we talk about why she needs to mind and if everything is OK.

mackb61 is welcome to return with an offline apology and assurance he isn't going to purposely challenge our authority. I don't think anyone wants this place to be run by lawless inmates.

this is a great thread and I hope mackb61 returns, if not others are welcome to post in it and give updates.

thank you.

5. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Rob, Thanks for the explanation. That's all I needed to see and point well taken.

6. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    +1... but this was a very informative thread. Wish there was a way to somehow get it back on track.

7. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    And that my friend is up to mackb61. I hope he returns and continues the thread. At that point I would even be for having all the posts on the ban removed as they don't really contribute to the initial point of this thread. In that way future readers don't have to wade through all those posts. Just my two cents.

8. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Thanks for that, Rob...

Mike in Kuwait

9. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    +1...Thanks for the explanation Rob.

10. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Agreed. Once the time is served and this thread resumes, if posts unrelated to the restoration have to remain on the site, would it be possible to move them to their own thread? This one should be focused on the OP's efforts to restore his Ferrari - especially as it's a nominee for 'Thread of the Year 2009'. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

11. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    #286 Saint Bastage, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009

Did I read this wrong? As I read it, his ban shall remain in effect until he apologizes through offline channels.

12. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Can I write an apology for him? :D

13. 5800RPM

5800RPM Formula Junior
    Owner

Apr 21, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Having read this thread from post #1 to the end, if the OP ever comes back I'll eat my laptop without ketchup. I sure as hell wouldn't.

I don't care for the site owner's explanation and I think it is all a big ego trip. There, I said it. Others were thinking it, I guarantee you, but were afraid to say it for fear of being next in line for the ban button.

This, like all public forums, only works if the people in charge are level headed and moderate. It appears that isn't the case here. Too bad really as this is an invaluable resource for potential owners like myself and even more so for owners, especially of the older models. But like most public forums, once it reaches a certain size, the owners start to care less and less if they alienate or lose members. "Meh, what's it matter if so and so leaves. There are 10 more to replace him/her". Only problem is that soon you don't have any constructive so and soes left and just have a social forum rather than an informative one.

2cents spent.

14. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

There was significant additional background noise that affected the decision that Rob made.

I was in the thick of it, and caused perhaps some of the stress.

Having said that, Rob's request at the time was simple and straightforward, he asked that all involved leave the topic alone while he worked it out offline with the parties in question.

mackb61 couldn't manage that and it cost him. BUT he had been warned, as had all the participants.

Simple matter to remedy. He can contact Rob - admin @ ferrarichat.com and they can talk it through. No BS, I have never seen a situation here that could not be worked on once the two parties talk one on one, without the "help" of a couple dozen other folks adding their two cents, myself included.

So, I'm gonna shut my pie hole, and hope that mackb61 touches base with Rob.

DM

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you have every right to your opinion. being an administrator or moderator is not a popular position. in the end we must do most things right as you consider the quality under the massive growth of activity and users. I think the longtime users can remember when we had 10 times the problems with only 10% of the users. We certainly didn’t get here by letting this place be lawless. there are other communities out there if quality and respect between users aren't one of your priorities.

16. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California

Rob, here is my 2 cents worth, cause I know you needed to hear this! Sometimes I believe this forum should be a subscription only forum. No offense to anyone who is not, but it would get rid of some of the rift raft's... Enough said

17. Novice

Novice Rookie

Apr 30, 2008
    ROCHESTER NY
    At risk of the dreaded ban, becuase as a f car owner I treasure this site dearly, aren't we smart enough to determine who is telling the truth and who isn't? Whom is to determine what post is for us to see and what isn't? scary stuff...

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    please explain. is this a case of someone telling the truth and someone not? I don't see how it can be. I put a freeze on the Dave Helms thread and made a post which is still there that says not to bring the discussion back up until the freeze was lifted. mackb61 clearly went against that friendly request and opened a new thread to continue the discussion. so if you are having a question of truth, the only thing I can think of is you are questioning whether mackb61 really started a new thread or not?

19. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    Hi Rob, as administrator perhaps we could ask if you would correspond with mackb61 and ask him how its going I am wanting to know where his reconditioning is at as I am sure everyone on this post is.

20. Dino355

Dino355 Rookie

Nov 5, 2007
    Wimbledon England
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Whatever the reason it's just so sad that a fantastic story goes down the drain, it's like finding the last pages of a book you are reading are missing!

Dean

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    is anyone else keeping in touch with him? Dave has posted my offline email. otherwise I can do that.

22. flyguyskt

flyguyskt Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2009
    South Dakota
    Full Name:
    sean
    im kinda bummed...i keep looking back here to see what ever happened to the CAR and i get to read "the political times"

sad day when everyone in such a small specialty crowd can't just get along and agree on one thing>>>THE CARS

23. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well before he was banned he mentioned that he had stopped working on it for a few months and then start again I believe in the spring

24. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I found that quite surprising. I thought it was more normal to do Ferrari maintenance/restoration in the winter months so that it was ready for the good weather. As it is, there's a chance he might have it ready just in time to put it away for next winter...

It just struck me as an odd choice.

All the best,
    Andrew.

25. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    This place is worse than heroin addiction. :D He'll be back.