Art for the bachelor pad... | FerrariChat

Art for the bachelor pad...

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by HobbsTC, Aug 21, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Hi guys. I'm newly a bachelor again, for better or worse. I know a lot of this will sound very naive, but I have moved into a new place and am looking to open my eyes and home to the art world. First, where's a good place online to start to learn about the trade? Second, I know he is controversial, but I like some of the pop art of Roy Lichtenstein and was thinking some of it might fit well in a bachelor pad. Any thoughts as to who and what I should be looking at? I'm not looking solely for investment, I am also looking for enjoyment and home enhancement. If it matters, I'm a younger professional at 33 and like bold, interesting items.

I know this probably sounds like a dumb first post in here, but I wasn't sure where else to turn. Thanks!

2. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    I say just go to some galleries, and look, don't buy, and just see what ones fit your like and taste, so you first discover what styles and type of artwork is your preference first!
    Lots of people buy what they think 'others' will be impressed by, but to me it's your home, buy what you enjoy and will continue to like in future IMO

3. hinton308

hinton308 Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2009
    Gaffney, SC
    Full Name:
    Don Hinton
    Look at artbrokerage.com. I have bought several pieces from them. I like Roy. Also look at Peter Max
    Don

4. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Thomas, sent you a pm

5. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I'm big into movie posters.
    I think its something many home visitors can relate to, are good investments, nostalgic, are still "manly", and just plain look cool.
    Auto racing posters are an option.

Personally I stay away from famous artist prints.
    I'd rather have an original from an unknown than a 1 of 1000 Picasso print.
    I know movie posters are prints but they are different in that they had a function.
    They were not made to be collectable they just are.
    Artist prints are the opposite.

Believe it or not ebay is a good source for originals if you can narrow it down a few artists you become familiar with or just throw the dice and buy what you like.

6. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    I'll second the movie posters and LeMans type posters. Look at the walls of Jay leno's garage for some idea's. Get some of your own photo's blown up.

But for paintings, for the very most part, value's are such a joke. I posted a video here a while back about the top 10 paintings and the world of collecting. Watch it and come to your own conclusions.

Dog's playing poker is a must. There is one guy who is painting now whose stuff I like -- Burton Morris -- especially the statue of liberty and many others --- https://www.facebook.com/BurtonMorrisArt

https://sphotos-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/970754_588676324487918_1826350681_n.jpg
    http://c300221.r21.cf1.rackcdn.com/burton-morris-at-pop-burton-morris-pop-international-galleries-1341853626_b.jpg

ferrari painting - The Cortile

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #7 Wade, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Want to invest in good looking art? I recommend Alex Katz prints. Katz is a sublime printer, his prints are very beautiful (the ladies love them) and they are all pretty good investments. Especially those that depict women.

9. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    It depends on the artist. Some artists were amazing printers, and made work specifically on that medium. Alex Katz, who I've already mentioned, is my favorite, but others like Lichtenstein and Rauschenberg are good examples, too.

Anything made by Gemini Prints is guaranteed to be of great quality.

They're not going to increase in value like paintings. But if you do your homework, prints & works on paper can be a great investment.

10. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Buy what you like. Period.