Are non-english language threads or sub forums a good idea for the european section? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Are non-english language threads or sub forums a good idea for the european section?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Wolfgang, Apr 10, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Subforum stay or go?

1. It's great, please keep it this way or better; make more non-english subthreads!

2. No, no, no... This Dutchie stuff I don't appreciate, away with it and with all the subthreads too!

3. I don't like it, but the subthreads in other languages can stay...

4. Subwha? ... I see a yellow submarine! ... Ah, who cares, just have fun here and talk FERRARI!!!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    be careful what I say or what?? Gonna destroy me?? ... Gonna throw me of the Fchat?? ... :D
    Am I accusing you? All I said is that somebody (not from this forum, but from a related forum) said that I was 'instructed' to make this poll. And that that accusation was made by a mod from this forum.

You say it wasn't you; well...perfect. Then that's settled. As I also wrote in the Dutch thread; I don't know what your problem is with me. I'm into the F. business since 1985. I have hundreds of books, models and magazines. Drove in several Ferraris, as shutgun and by myself. I've been with the F-chatters to several meetings, and had great laughs with owners and non-owners.

I've been away from this forum for about one year (less, but I just didn't post), and now you hate me? ... You don't even know me, dude! And for now; I don't think we gonna know each other eighter, cause I don't want to know people who get so excited about a discusion.

I don't care anymore what you do or any other mod to this thread. Close it, keep it open, whatever.

@Wolfgang
    dear friend,
    I don't know; the feeling of this site has completly changed. Bonkering is almost dead and the other threads are only in native languages. I hope it's going to change and get back to the great community it once was.

@Carsten
    tnx :)

2. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Then sadly it's "people's" own loss....Why go to another country if you don't care or if it does not interest you at all!!! Why go to an international forum if all you care for are the locals arround you in your own country???
    You would probably find more national forum users arround you in a national forum!
    Sadly, I truly understand why Wolfgang gives up on you!!!!
    It really seems that you WILL not understand our point with all this!!!

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm not going to pretend I can understand the unique situation in the European Section. I haven't had time to read this thread in detail, but I imagine most fall on yea or nea for allowing other languages. I don't have an opinion, in this case I'm an administrator in the purest sense. I have to listen to the users and especially your moderators to implement what they think is best, because I certainly am not knowledgeable enough to make a good decision on my own.

FerrariChat.com has grown and the European section has grown. Is this forum large enough to have region sub-forums like the USA? We can leave a European top level for general discussions and enforce English only, but then we would have sub-forum regions where non-English could be written. Win-Win?

4. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Maybe you know something that I and others missed out on, now, where did I force my moral standards upon anyone????

EDIT: Hopefully, I am not the only one who has at least some sort of moral standards!!! Nobody at all suggested that someone was lesser human beings for whatever need they may or may not have, or did I miss something here too???

5. Paulus

Paulus Formula 3

Sep 30, 2006
    i dont speak englische verry welle.
    i think your storie is oke.

leven en laten leven

6. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Your English writing seems great to me!!! :)

7. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Dear Waldo,

stay cool my friend. Its just a handful of young guns with no respect and no brain ;) (sorry, its my second language and I sadly can`t translate and explain it in a better way;) and to hit the bloody nail twice;) ). Yes, I type loud and clearly after reading again and again all the other comments. I have asked "can`t you or don`t you want me to understand?" After I have got the answer I see some can`t ...for any reason.

Howdy Rob,
    great to CU hear, sadly for a sad reason, on the european section.
    Hope you & yours are fine and you are still racing with your 355 challenge.
    Well, sometimes I wish to life in TX. Problems get solved faster by Smith & Wesson. Whats up with the DFW ladies & gents? Haven`t heard them for a while. BTW, I miss "this" bars here in Germany.

Best
    Wolfgang

8. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    In the exact post I quoted you on. Really, it is hard to miss, since you obviously didn't take any consideration in hiding your view that having conversation in a native tongue, not being English, is disrespectful on a international site. Then you went on talking about your own moral standards, which apparently include talking in English only on a international site, thereby implying that people who limit themselves to their native tongue, not feeling the need to extend their contacts to an international level, do not fullfil these moral standards of yours and therefor are morally inferior to you.

Honestly, if that isn't the message you want to get across, you really should think about reformulating the quoted post.

Not that I care or anything. I even find it somewhat enlighting to find out who some people really think about their fellow-fchatters who do not seem to meet some vague moral standards.

Oh, and another thing, perhaps I can call myself somewhat of an oldie too, but untill this day I fail to see what added value the Bonkers-thread brings to Fchat.

9. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I do understand, I just strongly disagree.

People should determine for themselves with whom on Fchat they wish to interact and how they want to interact, since Fchat itself is providing the facility to interact in a native tongue.

It isyour goal in entering Fchat to make contacts all over the world (and lets not forget you have a commercial interest in this selling your drawings, which most of us don't), but what gives you the right to complain about those who have a more limited goal in taking part on Fchat and measuring their moral standards against your own? Really, I am very curious to the answer.

10. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix

easy on the insults there. And I don't really care for the 'de-activating' smiley either.

11. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    is he refering to you then? Seems like you think so? ...

I can understand your point of view. But don't you think it now goes to the other side? There are almost no posts in the European section, apart from those in the native language threads. And then I'm not speaking of the Dutch only.
    And in a lot of those threads are interesting posts, by people who write/read English very well... with nice pictures wich could be fun for us all to see. Don't you think is a pity when you don't see those?

B.t.w. you refered to the bonkers thread and that you didn't understand the meaning of it... well it's simple. We are not only Ferrari-lovers, we are also people. Who want to chat sometimes and have fun... when we do that in all kind of different threads, it's going to be a mess, so the BONKERS thread was started... I believe that was even in the old FerrariChat, long before this one, but Wolfgang can explane that better then I do... :) ... The Bonkers thread was/is also the thread where the real friendships started! :D ...

12. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

How about this.

First let me say as a USA guy, I'm constantly impressed with the quality of the English spoken by your Europeans (except maybe the Brits :D) Often I find your English is better than mine, at least for composition.

That being said, how about you make your posts in your native tongue, and English?

Pain in the ass? Only if you don't want any outside opinions, or information. IF it's that important to have a conversation in your native tongue, then at least be so kind as to not put any good stuff in the threads. Just keep it to local gossip, when the next drive will be happening, or when you intend to invade the United States.

We pushy Yanks will appreciate it.

Dave M.

13. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    hear hear!

14. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
  15. zanti70

zanti70 F1 Veteran

Dec 9, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I am glad I don't participate in this thread...

FerrariChat is a wonderful way of meeting people with corresponding interests and I like to keep it that way (and I am not a massive contributor postwise). In dutch/english or whatever language... and it's funny that the language subject comes up every now and then and that the reactions and feelings never change in time. It makes me smile and aware of the relativeness of it.

I know some of you don't agree and some of you do :D

Guys (and girls): keep up the good spirit! I love you all! And I am glad to be part of this community!

Bob

16. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    doesn't matter to whom he is referring. There is really no need to assume any fellow Fchatter has no brains.

Let's assume -just for the sake of argument- that this is true, what does it tell us? It tells us that people prefer to speak in their native tongue once given the opportunity to do so. It is a simple mechanism. You can find that unfortunate and not in your own personal interest, but it is a fact of human nature.

Many guys that post frequently in the Dutch threads don't post in other threads like vintage or what not. That's their choice. Certainly not my choice, but that isn't really relevant in here.

It is not up to me, nor up to Wolfgang, Carsten or anybody, to have any judgement on how others make use of Ferrarichat. Much of the participants that limit themselves to the Dutch section, are subscribed by the way, so in that respect they have made their contribution to the community in a more than sufficient manner.

specific picture threads are commonly started in the general fora as well, or a link to the picture thread is posted in a general fora. Besides, everyone, no matter what nationality, has free access to the subforum. All threads marked with a paperclip contain pictures. If people want to see pictures, they only have to go through a minimum of trouble to do so.

The critizism directed at the Dutch/Belgian subforum could also be directed at the Bonkers-thread. The Bonkers-thread appealed to only a small group on Fchat, and yes it was in English, but no it didn't have anything to do with Ferrari.

I see the critizism that people who want to speak in their native tongue only, could make use of national fora. Well, people who want to speak about other stuff then Ferrari, could also make use of some other forum. I don't really see the difference.

Ferrarichat is a very big place and the fact that there is now a tiny subforum ended, doesn't really change the overall picture.

17. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    good point! :D

18. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Just curious: suppose you and your buddies go on holiday in Mexico. What language do you talk among each other? Spanish?? Or do you stick to English after all?

I fail to see the fuss, really? The local fora are just that: a bunch of buddies talking nonesense among each other. I saw a 360 there and there yesterday, was that you? I'm thinking of buying this 355, isn't that the car that was owned by so and so a few years back? Hey, I've taken some great pics of your car at that show last weekend. Etc etc. For the technical issues, we go to the model specific fora, in English. The local ones are socializing with friends. So what's the deal???

Just my 2 cents...

Hans

19. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    @Marnix,

Maan you are a clever guy, now aren't you??? I go here to talk to fellow Fchatters and to share my passion for cars in general, and since there are a lot of nice guys in here except for you, I have got quite a number of very close personal friends who knows me very well in person, very much unlike you!
    Will you please tell me and everyone else what kind of comercial interest I have in Fchat???? I'm also quite curious to hear if you are making money on your friends???
    Excactly how many Fchatters have payed me to do a drawing for them????
    Please let me know when you find out???
    As far as I know I have only asked to be payed for one of the drawings I have made for an fchatter, and besides that, also I have asked to be payed for the prints that have cost me money to have produced.......and no, I have not made a single dollar or Euro from that!!!!
    Not long time ago I was asked by someone from this site if they could start to sell my drawings from an online shop, since Rob Lay would like to add stuff like that on Fchatstuff.com.........it was not my idea, and again, as far as I know noone have made a dime on that either, so once again please tell me what kind of comercial interest I or others have have in Fchat, that have to do with my drawings.......I really would like to know, and you seem to be the only guy clever enough to know!!!

Now, just like you Marnix, I have only posted my own personal oppinion in this thread, and I have never forced anyone to do anything at all, not here nor anywhere else, so please stop making a fool of yourself with all the stupid stuff that you seem to just freely make up from what you think people think or mean!!!
    How come that you can you tell me for what reasons I am here or not, or what I can and cannot write here???........I thought that I was entitled to have and to share my oppinion, just the same way as you do share your somewhat different oppinions here in this thread!!??

I think perhaps you would be better of with sticking to the Dutch speaking threads, as you seem to have problems in understanding at least my English writting!

EDIT: If you have a problem with my "comercial" signature, then please be noted, that it is actually meant as a friendly help for some great friends of mine!
    Perhaps I really should start to make money on my friends.......hmmmmmm.......now, if only that could make me as wise and clever as you seemingly wish to be!!! ;)

20. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    My dear friend Carsten,

let me answer you political correct and in general - cause this is not a dutch, european or wherever problem - its worldwide.
    When it comes up to problems and discussions there are always 3 kinds of discussion partner you can not discuss a topic serious:

A - Typ: The classical a$$clown also a.k.a. the 1% outlaw
    B - Typ: The one who dont want to understand you
    C - Typ: The one who poorly can`t understand you....

Best
    Wolfgang

21. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Thanks buddy, :)

I know the three categories from earlier discussions, and I have sadly met with all three of the above categories in this discussion as well!! :( ;)

Best

Carsten

22. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Just thought I'd jump in and say a word or two.

Rob and I work together to try and bring products here that we think you guys will enjoy.

Yes, we make some money at it. NO, I'm not quitting my day job anytime soon.

I saw Carsten's prints as an opportunity to bring some interesting new items onto my website, where I sell Fchatters "stuff". We just got them into stock, we've sold 5 or 6 prints so far. I happen to love what Carsten does. I think he's a highly talented artist, who also happens to draw objects that are interesting to the guys (and gals) here.

I asked Carsten if I could sell reproductions of his art. HE NEVER contacted me. I bugged him for six months about it. Yes, he'll stand to make a little money, but again, he'd better hang on to that day job.

And on a personal note. I love this place. I think Rob's a hard working guy who wants to make this the best site for Ferrari entusiasts in the world. I think he's done JUST that. I'm trying to help him make a little more money at it so it can stay the best place for us to hang out.

I have no objection to threads in something other than English. I just hope I'm not missing any good stuff in them. THAT'S ALL. I spend a fair amount of time here. Read lots of threads, and learn about cars and cultures. I can't learn 10 languages, I'm just not that good at it. Right now I'm working on Italian. I speak a little French. I understand each country has pride in its culture and language. I'd never want to diminish that.

Peace to all my European Ferrari brothers,

Dave

23. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    ALL THREE? *BINGO*
    "Buddy Ignore" Button will help you ;)

24. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Yes I know, but sadly again none of those guys from the three categories are on my buddy list!!! ;)
    I also find it much more fun without using the "Ignore" button!!
    Discussing with arseclowns can be great fun too actually!!! ;) :D

25. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Thanks Dave, and peace to you too my friend!! :)

Best

Carsten