Are ferrari interiors as nice as porsches? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Are ferrari interiors as nice as porsches?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by madmatt1980, Jun 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
    All my Ferraris have had stickies and none of my Porsches have. In fact, my 458 just went for a redo of the headliner because the glue gave up and it was falling. Moorespeed in Austin, TX did a great job fixing the headliner and finished removing the stickies. The Ferrari interiors are really nice, especially something like the Roma and hopefully they have solved the stickies. I also have a Maserati and the interior shows none of the issues the 458 does. Waiting on a new 718 Spyder...

2. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
    Denatured alcohol is the solution to clean ups the stickies...but be patient and use it sparingly...

3. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
    Based on my experience go for the F430. The 360 seems primitive by comparison and ownership costs should be lower. If you get the spider know the costs can be expensive.

4. Zachman

Zachman Rookie

Jun 13, 2012
    Ferrari IS Passion, is it not? ;)

5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    My wife thinks my '01 Z06 interior is nicer than my Ferrari's...so I guess it all depends on what you consider "nice".

6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    They should? Have you priced a belt service on a 430? ;)

7. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    exactly.... the belt on the 430 is made of metal. you know how hard it is to change one of those things? they also cost way more than non-metallic belts.

8. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    I believe these 4 sentences sum it up....

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    ALL dogs have fleas.. Soft touch on ANY modern car is potentially suspect..

In my opinion any interior older than 2000 is kit car quality junk. 80's Porsche interiors aren't that much better. Cardboard backing and cracking plastic pieces are just as bad..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    In my experience -- 5 years and 27k miles across two cars -- if you actually drive it year-round, it's been just as reliable as any of the numerous 911s I've daily driven over the years. Other than a single bad convertible top sensor that took some sorting (just the sensor, not the top), nothing has required any sort of work outside annual maintenance, which was free on both cars. YMMV ;)

That being said ... if a sudden $10k repair would be devastating financially, it's probably not the car for you. Stuff can happen and it can be expensive. No different, really, than, say, an IMS failure on a 2005 911.

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They are not by any means hand built anymore. There is no panel beating or per car fitment. They are now full on assembly line cars..just like a Porsche or BMW.

12. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    "They are not by any means hand built anymore."
    When I was on a factory visit a few years ago, the V-12 engines were built by one person with, IIRC, the only robotics was installation of valve guides. Now assembly line like V-8s?

13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Hand assembled is not hand built/made.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  14. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    https://www.refined-marques.com/how-long-does-it-typically-take-to-build-a-ferrari/

Of course no more panel beating. Still much more hand fitment and craftsmanship in Ferrari’s low production from one factory. Porsche and BMW are built by robots in hours. More like a Toyota Camry or Ford Focus than Any Ferrari

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Lots of robots in the Ferrari factory now. They are not what you think. They are very much production line cars. With a sprinkling of hand assembly for showmanship.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Not true for Lamborghini, Diablos have a very high quality interior.

Boomhauer likes this.
  17. islong

islong Karting

Jul 6, 2021
    GREENVILLE, SC
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I've had a G-wagen, M3, 911tt, and now ferrari all of the '03 model year, and i would say that at least for that time period i would rank them like this:
    Interior leather holding up- porsche, mercedes, bmw, ferrari
    interior buttons/controls holding up- bmw, porsche, ferrari, mercedes
    interior styling- Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche

I've had two 996 911 turbos, and I never had to do an interior repair on either of them for any reason. Their interiors are top quality. My 360 is currently getting the headliner and glove box reupholstered, and the m3 and g wagen's both needed replacing too. One thing to mention though is that the Gwagen and M3 had more than double the miles of my 360 currently. To everyone that is saying that porsche doesn't have sticky button problems... just type that into google with "997" behind it and you will realize that was a huge issue in that generation.

18. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    #93 Island Time, Jul 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    Color me a curmudgeon but…

No way I’m paying 6 figures for an automobile with plastic steering wheel spokes, cramped interior, and can’t see out of. (Porsche). Or…

A car that feels like it’s made of glass. (Ferrari)

If you want quality that lasts, stick with pre-70’s (anything).

(In general, Italy isn’t known for it’s mechanical and engineering prowess, Germany is. If you want art…Italy may be your play) ;)

19. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This.

I’ve been car shopping recently, and sat in a 599 GTB and F430 Spider. The 599, with 20K miles, had leather pulling out of the seat side bolster, sticky plastic, and a sun-cracked shift indicator lens on top of the steering wheel. Plus the usual bolster wear and a dried/split driver door gasket. And this was a brief, casual look, not an inspection.

Last week I looked at a 1993 Porsche 964, with over 60K miles… looked almost new. Just some creases in the seat bottom leather.

Ferrari makes some amazing machinery, but I’d agree with others that the 308/328 era was the tail end of enduring interiors. (That said, Porsche quality took a nose dive with the 996 interior which screamed cheap all over…)

I also stopped by our local dealer to see a California T… but that was in the shop getting new dash leather after 6 years.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hahahaha great post.

21. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Hmmm, you must have had some exceptional 80's Ferrari's. All the ones I had were very basic. my 308 interior was nice, but the workmanship was poor at best. leather thin, etc.. but it was 10 years old when I bought it... I've seen comparable Porsche interiors that have looked like they were in the battle of the bulge... so it depends on how the car was cared for. my 328 interior was almost new like... but it was still - very basic in how it was made... you may call it hand crafted, but it was kind of slapped together. ... my 599 has a great interior - but it has sticky sections... its not as bad as some but you can feel the back of the seats are sticky and the groves on top of the luggage rails are sticky... my other pcs. have been replaced... my Porsche 911 - a 2007 model, looks as good today as when we bought it 10 years ago.... but the interior is hard plastic, and the thick vinal - leather look door cards, and dash... seats are in good shape, and overall all the printing on the dash is good... but the 599 looks way nicer than the Porsche..... its all in how well you care for them.

22. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    We seem to be forgetting that Ferrari interiors are free...and that we are buying only the drivetrain, the rest of the car is thrown in gratis. What do you expect 'fer nothin'.

Viperjoe and syata like this.
  23. GFD

GFD Karting

Aug 24, 2014
    Northern California
    hand made vs factory made, there will be a difference.

24. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Ferrari uses one of the finest leathers money can buy. Poltrona Frau

If you are in the design or furniture industry, you know how this is one of the finest leathers out there

https://www.poltronafrau.com/en/poltrona-frau-meets-ferrari

My wife works for a sister company to them. And both company's are owned by Haworth

The leather goes through a very unique processing. It stays cooler to the touch than most other leather

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app