Are ferrari interiors as nice as porsches? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Are ferrari interiors as nice as porsches?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by madmatt1980, Jun 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Ferrari interiors look great, or at least they make a statement. Some of the materials are high quality, or appear to be. But they are definitely more fragile than a 911 interior. You can treat a 911 like a VW. You just know that if you knock something in your Ferrari, it’s liable to come loose or break.

The stickies are a joke. I bought my 575 from a Franchised dealer who had all the stickies replaced by brand new Ferrari parts. All sticky again within a few years. Leather dashes look beautiful but unglue.

Bentley interiors rate high for me for both perceived quality and quality of materials. Not so sure about Astons. Porsches feel like they will last forever, but also less special than Ferraris.

Taking issue with a couple of things above: I think the interior of my gated 430 is beautiful, if a bit fragile in feel. There are far more shared Fiat parts in a 328.

I thought the interior of my F512M (similar to Testarossa) was dreadful. Fiat bits everywhere, otherwise basic and quite cheap and nasty. They are much better now.

the coach built Ferraris BB and before, different league. But I think an 812 interior is not shamed by comparison. Especially when specced up with a million dollars worth of options as many are.

A 992 interior can feel quite basic, if tough. Ferrari has flair and more fragility. Take your pick.

randkin and Spezia like this.
  2. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Current Lamborghini builds a high quality interior, none of the issues you mention. My biggest gripe with their interiors are more to do with design choices being a “modern” look, like the way they use recycled or whatever carbon fiber, or everything being hexagon shaped.....like the IKEA of the car world.....I know there are people that like that IKEA crap, not me

308 milano and rob lay like this.
  3. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    They are definitely overdoing the hexagon references. From the key to the fuel cap flap to the interior switches. Half expect the next models to have hexagonal wheels.
    Lamborghini are making good cars though. Huracan RWD is a beast.

4. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I didn't buy a Ferrari for the interior.

California bits will get sticky. So will the 458. I wouldn't be suprised if it happened with the 488 GTB and F8 Tributo. I *think* the problem was officially solved with the advent of the Roma/SF90 Stradale and their crazy OLED screens everywhere.
    Then 10 years from now we will be complaining of those going bad and we'll wish we just had to contend with the sticky interior and shrinking leather.

5. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't know, I'm a member on a Porsche board and it ain't always pretty there either. Many complaints of quality issues. The thing is I'm also on a Lexus forum and the quality complaints are unending on what is arguably the most reliable car you can buy.

I currently own 2 Ferraris, 1 Porsche and 1 Lexus and I have to say with a minor issue here or there, all 4 cars have been outstanding. If anything the ergonomics on the Porsche leave something to be desired.

stretchgeneral likes this.
  6. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    My 512TR had a disappointing interior, for what was a 200,000.00 car in 1992. The leather quality was poor and the plastic bits used were substandard for the car. My 458 is light years ahead in quality, except for the carpet. I mean WTH raise the price a few hundred $s and put in decent carpet. The 355 had better carpet and nicer leather.

Themaven likes this.
  7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The new s550 benz interior is an incredible place to be. And the big Benz is cheaper then the Ferrari, yet offers so much more for the dollar spent. Grab the AMG version..now you have a 4 door sedan that will run with the Ferrari, and in most cases, will beat it in a street race.

That said, in zero way is the Benz a Ferrari, and it's not supposed to be. However price point does indicate how much better Ferrari could do to improve interior quality. After all, it is the part of the car you see the most of. The exterior is for the enjoyment of others.

A crappy interior is not a pleasant place to be no matter how pretty the outside might be. Kinda like a Kardashian..

tazz99 likes this.
  8. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Aston interiors are nice to look at but wear terribly. I mean they are just bad. Seats get baggy. Pieces crack and they have even cheaper plastic than Ferrari. But I do love them.

The difference with Ferrari is everything is wrapped in leather.

Which pulls and shrinks in hot climates and the buttons melt.

However... With the Roma most of the buttons are the new haptic feedback touch buttons so there won't be many or much to go wrong.

The Roma interior is beautiful.

I am not a bug fan of the Porsche interiors. For those that way they are high quality they just got not crappy on the 991. Otherwise. 997 was crappy. 996 super crappy. 993 is one of the loves of my life so let's leave them out of this. The 964 is just meh. It's not nice but there is nothing wrong.

991s are made of really really good plastic. But plastic.

Thecadster and ryalex like this.
  9. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    There's nothing like a bespoke suit or handmade shoes, which reminds me of the Ferrari interior. Personally constructed, unique and beautiful like fine leather clothing. The standard 911 interior is technically perfect, nothing gets sticky or comes unglued, it all fits and make sense, but the lack of any quirks could make it feel boring. I have a new 718 Spyder built by the GT division, and it is just plain cool. Slick, really beautiful bordeaux leather, alcantara seat, dash and door inserts and shift knob. It has that race car feel, and drives like that to match. I have the feel of that tailored handmade suit without doubling the price, so I'm good with that.

10. madmatt1980

madmatt1980 Rookie

May 30, 2017
    Yeah I feel like lambo trying to channel a childhood desire to fly a spaceship. I feel the jet references and stuff are kind of cheesy.

11. madmatt1980

madmatt1980 Rookie

May 30, 2017
    What does everyone mean by sticky?

12. Huh?

Ferrari is a public company.

13. Just keeping it to modern Porsche (991 generation and forward) and modern Ferrari's (488/California/F12 and forward), both interiors are well constructed.

But the major difference is that the Porsche interiors have a very clinical and mechanical feel to them. There is always a nice click, and tightness to all the knobs and switches. With Ferrari's, the switches and knobs always have a bit of play in them. Nothing major, and it wouldn't be noticeable unless you were just driving a Porsche 911.

As to the UX (or UI), neither will awards for innovation or user-intuitiveness, but Porsche's software is a bit faster, although new UX in the Roma is generally a step up (but only if you like touchscreens).

One last thing, the leather in Ferrari's are eons better than the leather in Porsches.

GTFan and Island Time like this.
  14. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I love my 430 interior. Not so much my friends 997. (same vintage) Only gripe is the stickies. I'll fix them when I want to. My 430 interior smells incredible for a 14 year old car. Drove the Porsche, bought the Ferrari. Interior was not the reason though.

15. 83Mondialqv

83Mondialqv Formula Junior

May 18, 2021
    New York
    Full Name:
    Vito L
    Ferrari uses a coating on the buttons and overtime with the heat it starts to melt and the buttons become very sticky

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Rick Weston likes this.
  16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    it doesn’t even need heat! My 575 had all its stickies redone with OEM parts when I bought it. It lives 99% of its life in a cool garage in London. I drive it a few days a year with the Aircon on. Never park in the sun. Still, after five years, had to get the same parts redone.

It’s like an iPhone. Built-in obsolescence. The guy who makes the parts that go sticky is obviously a cousin of the Elkans.

17. 83Mondialqv

83Mondialqv Formula Junior

May 18, 2021
    New York
    Full Name:
    Vito L
    Gotta love those Italian Cars

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  18. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Yup, the CGT doors close like a bank vault

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EnzoItaly likes this.
  19. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Has Ferrari fixed this insanity with the 488 GTB ? Or any of the newest models, 812 / SF 90 / Pista / F8 Tributo / Roma / Portafino ?

Thank you

20. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Why not use JB Weld, or something other than what Ferrari uses to permanently fix this issue ? It seems that super glue would work better, why , once this issue comes up, and is fixed, it happens again in 5 years, does not make sense to me . Clean the mess up with Goof OFF, and then use super glue, or JB weld, and be done with it.

Thank you

21. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Ferraris interior are nice, leather especially but quality is a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I love the leather in Ferraris. Sitting in a Ferrari just feeling and smelling everything is terrific. Porsches have this everything is built tough feel to them. Well built quality but not that wow smell and feel to them.

23. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Dashes also shrink and come unglued. 10 years of Audi and never saw that but on all 3 Ferraris it has happened to some extent. I can see it starting to tighten on the edges of my F12 after only 10 months in the desert.

Funny enough I haven't had the typical German failure on any of them: window switches and regulators!

technom3 likes this.
  24. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Ummm... Yes... But who owns the majority share of Ferrari?

Also... None of these manufacturers can afford to make every single button nor would you want them to.

tbakowsky likes this.
  25. Jpacione

Jpacione Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2014
    It is disconcerting to hear about the leather shrinkage and ungluing issues. I’m thinking that hot climates would have something to do with it, along with leaving the car out in the sun on a regular basis. Themaven states above that the sticky buttons happen anyway. Hoping the leather holds up better than the buttons in my 812.