Are Dino owners all dead? | FerrariChat

Are Dino owners all dead?

Discussion in '206/246' started by tx246, Jul 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I remember a couple of years back when we were all excited to talk about Dino's. the weekley posts by corbanin and the updates by omgjon were always a sure thing.

We talked about plenty of useless things and everyday there were at least 10 threads to look at that had been added to from the day before. We seemed to be alive. What happened to us?

I'll speak for myself, short of digging up old threads about this , that, and the other, i slowed down as everything would be commented on as "use the search function", or "repost", or whatever. For that period a couple of years back, i think we all learned and enjoyed so much. with dave still here, but having sold his dino, his posts have died down to just feedback. my posts about useless dino junk went away for lack of enthusiasm for others. and on the lists goes. have we all moved past this time, or is it just me longing for the old days?

i learned so much about dino's from reading corbani's posts, everytime i read the mechanical upkeep/mod's, i want to go out and do the same for my car.

what can we do to revitalise our spirit? personally, i would love more than anything else to re-engage us all, forgetting about reposts. am i the only one?

2. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    You are not the only one! I feel lonesome posting every Sunday but there are still readers. We need more writers. A fantastic start would be for those who have asked for help in the past to bring all of us up to date. Be nice to know if any of the advise actually worked, and if not, what did. Taking the car to a mechanic is not an answer without telling us what the mechanic did. My problem is that I can't drive as much as I used to and the car is running so beautifully. I have to think up things like photography problems to have much subject matter. Scott is not bashfull but there are more than a few out there who could take a pic and/or drop a line. Lots of threads just waiting to be given a new life.
    John

3. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I totally agree. It seems kind of dead here. I received my 16" wheels from the UK (beautiful), but the tires are delayed. As soon as I get it all together I will post photos. Meanwhile, I'll just have to muddle through on my 14" wheels and tires.

4. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    You poor dear.....

5. peter5

peter5 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    NoVa
    I'd be happy to join the ranks of the writers if somebody would kindly donate a car for me to write about. :)

Seriously though, I've only been around for 3 years or so and even I have noticed the decline in posting. Do you think it is any coincidence that the drastic increase in prices led to a decrease in posting? Maybe the value exceeded many of the DIYer's ability to stomach the work, and many turned to professionals for upkeep?

Peter

6. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Wspeer asks a fair question. Even if we aren't dead, we are clearly wounded. I guess omgjon could singlehandedly keep this forum exciting by continuing to corner the Dino market or better still, buy that 206S and start a thread with Napolis comparing attributes of rare competition Dinos. Corbani could of course continue to pen more sagas but even he deserves a summer break. Here's some thread starters for people who want to wax lyrical on some Dino topics.

1) Tools that the factory provided to dealerships technicians to work on Dinos
    2) Ferrari Dino Coupes vs. Ferrari Dino Spiders - why to choose one over the other
    3) Ferrari Dino design - why is the Dino such a perfect and evocative design 40 years later (specific elements and overall design please)
    4) Ferrari Dinos vs. modern cars - why don't/wouldn't a car company produce a Dino today in light of current design, engineering and economic considerations
    5) Ferrari Dino underpowered? Why this claim which is often made in reviews is invalid or valid
    6) Ferrari Dino pet peaves - what things about the Dino drive you crazy (like flushing the cooling system, adjusting the front bank valve shims, etc.)
    7) When will a Ferrari Dino (steet car, not race car) be worth $1M?
    8) The ultimate stable mate for a Dino - what Ferrari best completements a Dino GT/GTS and why - pick one only.
    9) Getting lucky in a Dino - can it be done and if so, what positions work in the car (or on the car if you so choose)
    10) Top 10 excuses why I didn't drive my Dino again this week

OK, have at it!

...Keith (1969 246GT SN 00542)

7. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

IT'S MY FAULT.

I sold my Dino to a backwoods hick who doesn't know how to put a complete sentence together, but can examine a prostate through a computer screen. He doesn't post here with nearly the frequency I used to.

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE.

I was in here every day, posting an inane question, looking for a part, stirring up the blood of the "Almost a Ferrari" crowd.

Then, GASP, I moved on to the modern cars. The, "It starts everyday and runs like a charm" group. (Who are, BTW, on average the most boring bunch of guys you would ever want to meet. The most exciting topic over there is "Will 26" wheels fit my 360?")

So, the answer is obvious. I have to buy another Dino. So, anyone know of a wreck, project Dino that I can grab for nickels, spend quarters on and sell for dollars?

Otherwise, about all I can post is a sighting. Silver Dino 246GT, 1972 US spec on the lift at Algar.

DM

8. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

If you have a little time to wait, my tires are pretty bald, so any day now.....

9. johnvwatts

johnvwatts Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2007
    England
    Full Name:
    John v watts
    #9 johnvwatts, Jul 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
    I've noticed posting dropping off abit regarding all models. Alot has already been said with previous posts but who cares lets post it again if it crops up. Dino prices have doubled in the last couple of years and maybe thats brought in a new type of buyer thats not so .. interested. I've got a few old Ferraris (lucky me) and the thing I notice is they always need something which means talking to people and posting. I've had the newer ones but got out of those 18mths ago as err there isn't so much to do on them apart from as you say change the wheels etc or fit a tubi. And they loose money. I notice that on the supercar section F40,F50,Enzo there are hardly any tech / problem posts whereas the 308/328 section there are loads. Maybe the 308 is the new 246 then........

So here's a Dino topic - what plugs do you run mine are nkg bp7es but the car fouls up easily when first starting up - thinking of changing to a hotter plug say a 6?

DM please buy a Dino then we can all have someone else to talk to .. plus if you buy wisely it could see you good - is it not 40yr aniversary next year ?

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    *raises a glass to Johnny*

"Here's to the 308 being the new 246.."

Well, if it causes values to go where you hate to use them, maybe not....that crossed my mind as I parked it amongst newer cars at a club, a parking lot crash would cause me the most stress and expense.

Much like Dave faced with his detailing experience..

Urotrash, I can get you FULDA tires thru Goodyear Europe!

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Definately a 6, if you are having any ring bypass at all, I use the even hotter 5s when slogging around town stop and go...:D

12. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

I would prefer if you use the term "follicly challenged" instead of "bald". Some of us here are a little sensitive about that...

And, your tires had better not be bald. You would have had to put a WHOLE BUNCH of miles on the car for that. Of course, the edges could be a little scuffed as you push through a turn.

Now, as to additional topics that I can't recall being discussed yet.

"Why would anyone trade a Dino for a 360"

"Did Dave lose his mind when he sold his Dino to UroTrash."

Does the phrase, "I'm not worthy" aptly describe any of the current Dino owners on this forum?

And of course,"Is the Dino really a Ferrari, or merely an overreach by Fiat?"

So, pick one, start a thread, we can all chime in.

Dave

13. johnvwatts

johnvwatts Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2007
    England
    Full Name:
    John v watts
    Big Tex - thanks for the plug tip will go for a 5 .

And picking one of the above topics before I retire to the land of nod (its 11pm here) "Is a Dino a proper Ferrari ?"

Answer: Course it is. The Italians couldn't make up their mind and changed sides on the matter (theres another thread there somewhere...). At the time it came out it wasn't, but when it became recognised as the height of 70's cool - Tony Curtis in the Persuaders (did you have that in the US?) and several Beatles owning them, they suddenly became Ferrari's. There is one in the Ferrari museaum and they didn't have any Fiats in there, not that I saw anyway. But are all post 69 Ferraris a Fiat in the same way Aston Martin became Ford for abit ? Thats abit more complicated....but I still say its a Ferrari.

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Point well made, about the 1969 FIAT merger.....LOL!

Be sure to regap to your specified spacing, they are too wide "out of the box"...

15. rwk360

rwk360 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    R W Kenton

Ok, here goes. Regards to Keith's #6, flushing the cooling system flush doesn't really drive me crazy, but scares me somewhat, since I've never done it on my Dino (or any other car for that matter). I'm fairly handy with minor things like oil change, brake bleeding, cosmetics, etc, so I think a cooling system flush is within my capability. But I plan on doing this without supervision sometime in the near future, so I would pose the question, how exactly have you done this with your Dinos? Specifics please (eg hot engine or not, magic cooling system flush fluid vs water only, specific sequence of steps, etc). Thanks to all. Bob (69 GT 00462)

16. Ferranki

Ferranki Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Some of us are spending a lot of time looking for beach covers.

17. dtortoise3

dtortoise3 Karting

May 5, 2004
    Sold my 74 dino a few months ago. Couldn't resist the price- now can't find anything to goof with. All I have left are the books, 2 sets of wheels, jack and tool kit - maybe I should sell them too. Can't fiqure out why the new owner didn't want these items.

18. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    ken,

ain't that the truth?

19. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    what did it sell for?

20. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

You S**ting me?

21. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub

Please tell me you are joking. If the owner didn't want those items, send them to him/her anyway. If you kept them to sell them, reconsider and send them to car's new owner. Do it for the next owner - let's keep these cars complete!

My $0.02.

...Keith

22. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    John posted: "I've noticed posting dropping off abit regarding all models. A lot has already been said with previous posts but who cares lets post it again if it crops up. Dino prices have doubled in the last couple of years and maybe thats brought in a new type of buyer thats not so .. interested."
    Gentlemen: The MONEY is the undoing of this community as it was in the later 80s. When the cars were cheep, guys used the cars as intended and developed social networks for driving company and wrenching advice. When the cars' paper values skyrocketed, things that used to be shared or given to others suddenly were sold to the highest bidder (remember it was not so before it became all about the money), conversations on driving and maintainence dried up to be replaced with valuation discussions or worse yet vaulation predictions, and their little beauties became investments to be safely locked in the garage or flipped to the highest bidder. When all this tops out as it did in the 90s many will look back to that time when Dinos were dirt cheep, no one wanted them and they were for a very short time, really really fun to own. Want to rediscover that atmosphere of passion and community? Spend some time with the owners of (seemingly) unloved Ferraris: GT4s, 4 Headlighted 330s or 412s . The MONEY has not undone the passion for them, they are driving the heck out of their cars having the times of their lives. M

23. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

I never do this but,

+1

24. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I'm too busy driving my car to spend much time on this board!

25. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Though I'd be surprised if the 308/328 models rockets in value in the near future (next 5 years) the way the Dino has, there's no doubt they're moving into the "loved classic that are not mad money" category that the Dino held for a period of time.

-F