Are demands of vintage racing too much to mke it worth it? Short story writer curious | FerrariChat

Are demands of vintage racing too much to mke it worth it? Short story writer curious

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by bitzman, Jun 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I hve driven many cars on racetrcks but never in a race, I once had a ride round Willow with the late Alan Bolte in a '65 Shelby and was shocked that he was in a two wheel drift most all the way round. i thought "I don't want to vintage race if you have to be on the edge like that so much of the time" (and that was with other cars far away) Recently I read a short fiction story by Hemingway on a big game hunter who loses his nerve and i thought I'd write a short story about a vintage racer who loses/regains/loses his nerve. Any vintage racers want to comment? I can PM it. No names of readers will be used, I'm just wondering if anybody else had my thought--the risk is not worth it if you have to drive at 10/10ths to win.

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I can put you in touch with a guy who has vintage raced for probably 30 years. good guy, I'm sure he'd love to regale you with stories of his track adventures.

Drop me a PM if interested.

D

3. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Your speed, level of acceptable risk and ability to find the edge changes with time and age.....

The younger you are, the faster and more daring you are. You don't think about the risk.
    You slow down with age, knowledge of what can go wrong and responsibilities and you become just a little more risk adverse.
    You can make it safer by 1. slowing down, or 2. getting a safer (newer) car.
    Vintage cars were not very safe in period and are not much less dangerous today. They are generally not driven at the same levels they were in period by young drivers.
    This is due either to skill limits, risk aversion or valuation of the car or a combination of all 3.

4. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

The best advice is to attend a Vintage race and observe how they are driven, there is a race coming up at Mid-Ohio in two weeks. Vintage cars have some modern safety equipment, but are for the most part period correct. Most run on bias ply race tires which gives "unique" handling characteristics to a 450 HP early sixties car. In fact the Shelby you rode in would have had the same tires so you experienced the handling they afford.
    If you aren't on the ragged edge you aren't driving fast enough, it's a whole different driving style.

5. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    If you want to win, get a faster car. I would say most vintage racers are not really pushing that hard, but you always have a few who are. This is the most enjoyable form of the sport, IMO. Although being in a race is quite a bit different than just driving around a track. Big fun.

Manda racing likes this.
  6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I clubrace SCCA around the country. Totally worth the risk. Nothing more thrilling when injury around every turn. But you don't think it will happen to you because you have this ridiculous safety gear. Racecar safety systems are so good now that even a wimpy guy like me can drive like a hero. And we rationalize the risk away with things like track design attenuates crash damage. We always see our friends walk away. Everyone is going in the same direction. Cars are all similar in speed....and a whole bunch more BS we tell ourselves. Then of course we are reinforced by non-racers. They say isn't the sport dangerous? And we say "yes it is...we puff out our chests and say... "it's a balls sport." "Loses/regains/loses his nerve" well....you are talking about "vintage" racing...just kidding.

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I've had several friends and acquaintances die or suffer serious injuries while vintage racing. Or, even at "mere" track days. It can happen, and it doesn't have to be at 10/10ths, either. Sometimes, you're just the "collected" car (watched a March with failed brakes take out a 962 entering a turn).

So, the question is whether you enjoy it. If you do, it's worth the risk. No one is going to be "discovered" and become the next F1 sensation or factory driver. The cars can't become more valuable by winning a historic/vintage race, either. This is pure enjoyment for the sake of it. Doing it well and competently ought to be satisfaction enough. That said, there are clearly different levels of driver abilities on track. What is pushing hard for one driver might be a warm-up lap for another.

But, IMO, 10/10ths is where the adrenaline runs. And, if that's your drug of choice, there's no law against it. If it puts a smile on your face, as opposed to making you think twice, then assume the risk. Old cars fail all the time. I personally watched an old Lola suffer a collapsed rear suspension, veer off track and go into an alligator-infested canal. Driver nearly drowned just getting out. The next day, he was on track, again. For some, the juice is worth the squeeze.

CW

8. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    All racing is dangerous. Honestly, with the proper safety equipment the risk is reduced. The issue I have with vintage racing is the safety element. I like the newer cars because they have the new safety systems, but the newer cars are faster.
    I have opted for the newer GT cars. I have been in some big off road experiences and walked away from it. My vote is newer car with the modern safety systems.

9. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    My biggest problem with vintage is I don't enjoy the cars. Who wants a dial telephone when my cell phone has high speed internet? But I do enjoy archery so go figure...

10. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Well, are you telling me you wouldn't like to drive a 512S/M? Or, a 333SP? Or, BBLM? Or, a GTO, SWB or TR?

Sure, they may be antiquated, but they have their own appeal. To me, there's NOTHING like a Ferrari motor at full song mere inches from your ears. There's also a certain "feel" of an older car that you don't get in the newer stuff. No power steering. Throttle-on oversteering that isn't as easy to do in a "modern" ground-effects car. And, to run a newer car requires support beyond the basics.

CW

Manda racing likes this.
  11. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Well a 333SP, 275 gtb, GTO heck yeah! When you invite me drive your multi $million ferraris in a vintage race let me know. I'll even pay for the tires. I don't have those kinds of friends. My level of vintage would be a C2 corvette, Alfa GTV's, and datsun 240z's...No Thanks! I drove those cars when new and I do not miss them at all.

Manda racing and Texas Forever like this.
  12. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Some of the videos I watch (and usually an event I was spectating at) piss me off at how aggressive some of the drivers are.

13. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Lots of cars ran the SBC. Cheap and powerful. And plenty of parts available. Can-Am, F5000, Indycar, GTP. Sure there are expensive examples, but there are some cheap ones too. I prefer a dog ring box, unassisted rack, and AP brakes.

14. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Are you going to brp with scca in group 6? I'm racing in 4 on Saturday if it isn't volcanic hot

Attached Files:

Manda racing and Texas Forever like this.
  15. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
  16. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    These cars are amazing. I would jump at a chance to drive them, but vintage racing? In HSR and SVRA you are running in groups of modern LMP cars and very fast hardware. You are running with old Nascar race cars which are the most dangerous of all. You get hit by either one. It is not going to be good.
    I got hit by a LMPC car at night on a double yellow at 130 mph in HSR. It happens. The modern safety systems in the car saved me. Not sure it would be the same result in a 333 SP. My 2 cents.

17. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
    What you perceived to be out of control was not out of control - the car just didn't drive like a modern car.

Ever watch a Goodwood saloon race where big Rolls Royces, Bentleys and Jaguars are going sideways through the turns? I promise you they are in control.

The only "vintage" car I track is a 1987 Porsche 944 turbo. No nannies so it drives very different from my Cayman.

Besides, vintage racers go senile before they lose their nerve.

18. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    “Are you going to brp with scca in group 6? I'm racing in 4 on Saturday if it isn't volcanic hot.“

I flew over the track awhile ago to check on you— man it’s hot in my airplane and I’ve got a 6 ft fan on the front... :). Hope all is well got to be hot asphalt.