Are 50k TR's in our near future?? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Are 50k TR's in our near future??

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by gsworld2014, Jan 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thank you Sherpa, I apologize for my ignorance here.

Cheers

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think we know that a car with 600 miles, ie below 1000kms fetches a special price.

Did not a very low mileage as in new testa not go for significantly higher last year.

Anomolous cars mean little. A daytona is a 700-800k car, find one with delivery miles it might sell for a few million, that being a number of little rleevance to the otehr daytonas out there.

In fact given the condition of lot 5 we shoudl have expected it to go for well over 220k euro, that it do not could be telling.

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    1985 Ferrari Testarossa | Gooding & Company

IMo best in the world single mirror, great color low low mileage belts done, acording to the blurb a 35 k service performed, which sounds right to make a low mileage garage queen run properly, pull the service cost out and see what a 4k mile single mirror is worth on this day. To the extent auctions mean anything, this means we are not in the era of 250k+ single miror trs that some seem to be advertising at.

On the other hand same auction a 15K mile 328 is 110k which is a big price imo.

The Foyt BBI went for a big price imo,

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Sherpa, wow! I think it ended up being sold!

For 191k euro I think that's with buyers premium

The other one went for 120ish euro so like 140K USD

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Yes, sold after the fact. Very common.

Remember, there is only one selling price for cars at auction. It includes the buyers premium. No one goes to a dealership and quotes sales prices at 10% less than they go for and it's no different auctions. People here often quote hammer prices as sales prices and that's just ridiculous.

6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks Sherpa for the info!

Cheers

7. arcticlighting

arcticlighting Karting

Oct 5, 2007
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian Chapman
    Daniel is a personal friend of mine and a great help. Amazing person and friend, without him I would not own the Ferraris I do today. My 85 TR never came on the market. Try and find one, they are rare beasts indeed. He's even helped me with fixing little items on my TR, that I wouldn't have know how or what to do without his amazing skills. He doesn't need me to defend him, I just know him personally and appreciate his insight and his knowledge of all cars. Many bottles of wine and beer have been drank in his garage/shop, with amazing conversations, from Boss to Shelby and the Ferraris'.

He has great knowledge of the garage and personally saw him install an engine and drivetrain in one of the older cars he owns (all by himself nonetheless). One of the smartest men in a garage I know and tells it like it is. I support him and his statements, he has been spot on in the Ferrari market and knows it very well.

The OP is one of the unlucky F430 owners that has an automatic because he has no idea on how to drive a stick, his value is lowered every day on that car, whereas our cars appreciate and are one of the most Iconic Ferraris ever produced.

To put some small things in perspective as Daniel did in his post. There are currently 7 Billion people on the planet. There has been only 70,000 (give or take a thousand) Ferraris produced including the Fiat era cars, and if every car changed hands 4 times in it's lifetime that is only 280,000 people in the world have ever owned a Ferrari.

We are very lucky people, to own a car designed and built as they were.

He needs to stay in the F430 section or go to the Ford Chat site to discuss diminished values of the 2013 Explorer he drives.

He egged everyone on and deserved his punishment.

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    None one here seems to disagree that long term the Tr series of cars are classics that will appreciate. Seems the real debate is over whether the current market for Trs of various series has overheated along with other cars, is overhyped for now by dealers looking for the next thing to runup, and therefore flatening and or subsiding.

From what i can see 512TRs seem still to be gaining some steam. Testarossas were reaching for heights they have currently failed to attain, and may be subsiding.

The next question is how much inventory is out there, vs the current pool of buyers and will this have a depressive effect on prices..

If a under 500 mileile Testa sold for 500K last year, does a 600mile one for 200K now tell us anything?

What we know for sure based on fleabay and anecdotal evidence is that 20k mile cars are not more than 120k and may sell for less. This tells me the rise is over for now and there is some settling.

These cars have clearly moved out of 50k cheap beater ferrari territory. In the current climate their value is yet to be detirmined, but its not going up.

9. Special$K$

Special$K$ Rookie

Nov 27, 2014
    NC & SC
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Like someone else said..........

"I totally agree"

10. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    Good thread...just returned from the 2016 Barrett and Ferrari in general did really well. 8 Ferraris crossed the block in this event...4 on Saturday! An outstanding 512TR (901 miles, Yellow, no Classique Cert) auctioned for $325,000 (final with fees was $357,500) and 7 others went for what I would believe to be fair and realistic prices (not really in tune with the older Ferraris but a 1950 195 S Inter Superleggera went for $1,705,000...maybe someone can comment on the viability of that price, I cannot). Several 360s, a 456, a 612 Scag, and a 348 all looked like solid prices to me. Bottom line, I don't see the bottom falling out of the TR...am I vested...yes I have a 512TR but I have an open mind <g>.

11. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Ferrari Testarossa | eBay

Granted some history, issues and a slight fire sale on the part of the seller, but a good starter/driver for someone given the current market

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    And of course ... it is SOLD now ! :)

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I do not know anything about the Testarossas, which are not my cup of tea, but perhaps you find some interest in this add:
    A number of cars remained « unsold » at recent auctions, for instance ZFFAA17B000068793 at the Bonham’s auction on the Grand Palais, which had an estimation of between 135 and 175.000 euros, and did not sell, and is back in the “normal” circuit of adds, advertised HERE for 135.000 euros:
    Ferrari testarossa monodado 5.0l 380cv Voitures Alpes-Maritimes - leboncoin.fr

84596, lot 417, with an estimation of 130 to 160.000 euros, remained UNSOLD also.

Rgds

14. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    This car is an exception in my opinion. The whole market will not drop to where it was for the TR. It may go down a bit but not to where it was. If it does many other fill follow.

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    It is falling down NOW Claude .... I see cars for KEuro 80 unsold ...

But I also see 360 Spider 6-gear gated for that exact money ... they seem to be special by now ... :)

16. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    "Some history"

Get real guys - it is a SALVAGE car.

A very small step above a parts car in the wrecking yard.

Life Is Good,
    vincenzo

17. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    I'm eager to see how good the 86 TR (lot 152) will do at Amelia this week end!

18. 512man

512man Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tobbe
    Mel,i don't know were you look,but if you se a nice TR for 80000€ please PM me.
    I rent a trailer and go trough europé to get it.

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I disagree. Yes the title has an impact on resale but doesn't alway mean the car was destroyed. We have a lincoln SUV that I was driving in when it was hit in the LR wheel buy a kid in a cobalt. Broke the suspension but missed the body completely and no frame damage - none. Because the side curtain air bags deployed they stroked the truck. Because I had just essentially restored it under warranty at the dealer prior to the accident I decided to buy it back and fix it. Still driving it 5 years later without any issues. I would buy a salvage title car if I knew why it had the title.

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Newman is right, my experience with insurance and Ferraris leads me to think they would rather NOT fix one!

21. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I sold mine just at the right time. :D

22. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #172 vincenzo, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No argument there.... but note that the eBay add did NOT show ANY pics of the SALVAGE damage.

Here is what the car may have looked like:

Life Is Good!
    Don't Crash!
    Vincenzo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Kudos to the seller for being upfront about it.

24. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Not defending the car in any way and have no affiliation with it. However there are many variables that go into a car coming up with a salvage title. Theft is an automatic salvage. Stolen and recovered two blocks from your house with no damage is salvage. Water cresting the sills and touching the carpet is automatic salvage, deer hitting the hood and breaking the windshield and the repairs come to 40% of the cars value...automatic salvage.

Saying a salvage title car is one small step from a "parts car" is pretty hasty. In most cases salvage title cars are more trouble than they are worth, but in certain cases they can be good/useable cars at a discount

25. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    For an everyday car a salvage car can be a great car. My best DD was a repaired totalled car.

But for a Ferrari/collectible car the resale value can be way too problematic. If resale or value is nothing for you to consider buy it if it fits your standards and the price is right.