Architect's fees for garage plans... | FerrariChat

Architect's fees for garage plans...

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by kevfla, Feb 28, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    If any of you had an architect draw-up blueprints for a detached garage, do you recall how much you were charged ? Most would likely charge a fee based on the size of the project, in my case 975sf footprint w/ a 625sf office loft over 2/3 of the first floor area.

If he charges "X" amount per sf for a house (kitchen, bathrooms, lots of interior walls), is it reasonable to presume that to draw-up something more basic like a semi-finished garage, that the fee would reflect some discounting from the regular house rate?

Any architects out there that can chime in on rates? Thanks in advance!!

KevFla

2. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Typical rate here is $3 to $4 per square foot.

RMX

3. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Christ! We'll sell you the trusses to BUILD it for that kind of money (more like $2.75/sqft for a simple garage). Try drawing it up yourself & run it by whoever issues permits in your area - you might be pleasantly surprised!

If you wan't to be even more likely to get it approved - draw up a basic sketch & take it to a truss company to get an estimate with truss drawings & placement plans & take THOSE to get your permit.

4. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Kevin, are you close to starting? Simon

5. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    #5 kevfla, Mar 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Gotta get this thing underway. Finally settled on the front elevation and footprint and have the builder lined-up. Thanks for asking.

You mentioned wanting to expand your garage. Howszat goin'?

KevFla
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    We are going to remodel / redecorate the majority of the house beginning this summer.

After that, then the big decision... which first: A second Ferrari or the addition.

We have 3 large garage spots now. We want to build a 1200ft^2 addition for the cars, with an additional 600ft^2 of loft/storage space upstairs. Fully climate controlled...

All in time. I think realistically we are 3 years away from breaking ground.

7. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    On multi million dollar projects they get 4%. On something this small I would say 10% of the construction cost.

8. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I would say the 10% is a pretty typical rate for garage plans from an architect. You might be better off with a builder who can do the plans also and get them engineered. Forget getting engineered truss drawings and trying to use those for a general permit. You have to coordinate the truss engineering to your arhcitectural and structural plans (including the truss type designation). As a general rule the minimum project fee for my work is around $20k, but I don't do much work in Florida anymore. Florida is a realatively cheap place to hire an architect (which is the main reason I stopped pursuing work here). If you want a reference I have a friend that graduated with me that lives in Orlando that might be able to give you a proposal. If you know what you want, a draftsman (or certified residential designer) can coordinate with a structural engineer for residential work and potentially save you substantial money.
    BT

9. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Guess Florida is a bit different than Illinois - a customer here is doing a very similar addition & is getting all permits based on his rough sketch & our truss deisgn plans. Total cost of materials (not including labor) is well under $20k (with trusses running in the $2k range). Must be those hurricanes or termites you guys have down there making the prices so high...

10. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Mine is very similar to that, about $1200 as I recall although I drew the fairly detailed elevations and he worked from that.

11. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Yeah, we have some crazy building officials here. The further south you go in the state the worse it is. If you can get plans drawn up for less than $2k you are doing great. I did some plans for my own garage addition and spent about 40 hours working as fast as possible. At a modest $150 per hour that would cost $6k, and I spent no time doing preliminary design because I had been thinking about the project for a few months. The garage I am just about finished with had a truss cost of around $6k and a total cost of around $150k. Definitely would have been cheaper in other areas of the country.
    :(
    BT

12. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  13. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    We paid 7% on a $2 million commercial building.

It can vary depending on the services you get. they can be clerk of the works to just designing the building.

Enjoy. :)

14. quartermaster

quartermaster Formula 3

Sep 11, 2005
    If you don't need extensive engineering, a good building contractor should be able to produce buildable plans for a garage/loft for under $2/s.f.
    Look around for a small design/build firm.

15. Matt308

Matt308 Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2004
    CO
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I paid about $1400 to design a 2 car garage with a flat roof engineered for a 5 foot snow load. Right around $2.50/sq foot I guess... Maybe I got a pretty good deal after all!