Aprilia RS50....Why build a 50cc GP replica? | FerrariChat

Aprilia RS50....Why build a 50cc GP replica?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by GrigioGuy, Apr 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Ok, I have to admit it looks very cool. I wish the 125 was available here in the states. But what possible market exists for a 50 cc sportsbike?

The only thing I can think of is the fact that 50cc and under doesn't require a license, at least around here.

Has anyone ridden one of these? Comments?

2. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

They are not very expensive (~$3k), and look pretty cool. Yamaha in the late 80's had a similar bike, the ysr50, and sold quite a few. While I'm too big for one (6'2", 210 lbs), if I were smaller and trying to decide between a scooter or one of these, I'd pick this. My family had talked about getting one for my stepdaughter to learn on, rather than a foo-foo 50cc scooter, or an ugly POS like the Buell Blast.

I think emissions are what prevents the 125cc version from coming into this country. Kawasaki made a little bike called the KE100 that was street legal (not in CA), the previous engine size was 125cc, I assume the engine was reduced to get under the capacity limit for the emissions.

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I agree, they really look cool. In the English bike rags, there is a Cagiva called the Mito 125 that looks just like a Ducati 916, again pretty cool for younger or less deep-pocketed riders.

4. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron

5. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    There are a few websites where peopls mod these. I have seen a few with 75cc engines put in them. I can't find the URL's right now. I think I may buy one of these next fall when it gets a little cooler.

6. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

I can get a 748 race bike for the price of a Mito 125. They are not great bang for the buck. Derbi makes a great little 50cc sprt bike, too.

7. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Can you get the Mito 125 in USA?

8. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Its posable that they make 50cc for the young teen biker, giving them a taste for italian styleing and knowing that they will progress to the bigger machines when law allows.One theory anyway.

9. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

I can. I can't get one for less that $5500 though. They are rare and hardly come up for sale but I often get an inside line on them. I have yet to pull the trigger on one because they are so expensive for a 125cc.

10. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    my friend owned one while he was in spain. he said it's fun because he loved to shift and rev it up. it's more like a beefed up moped but definetly a good starter bike. but it's still a two stroke so there much of any engine braking.

here in the states no one knows motogp, like they don't know f1. so most people wouldn't really recognize it unless they were motogp fans.

11. harmitc

harmitc Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Bernard R
    The market for 50cc is very profitable in many Euro' countries, you can ride a 50 (depending on where you live) at age 14~16 yrs. 17 is normally the minimum for a 125.

As an example, Spain where the following for the smaller 2 stroke GP classes is very popular the 50cc market is strong.