Anytime Fitness -- anyone a member? | FerrariChat

Anytime Fitness -- anyone a member?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Bullfighter, May 15, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've been a member at one of the big fitness chains for years -- zero atmosphere, marginal equipment, but it gets the job done.

There's an Anytime Fitness opening slightly nearer to my house, and it looks like a more private, upscale experience. But, it also looks small - relatively few machines, 5600 sq ft space. The previous gym there had about 700 members, and this new place is targeting 1000+.

Anyone here joined and have an opinion? My biggest peeves with gyms are waiting for equipment to be open, poor maintenance and lack of cleanliness. I worry a bit on the first one with Anytime.

2. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    I had to look it up, the last place I was a member at is called Workout Anytime -- 24 hour access. It was small but had a great(not perfect) line of equipment, mentioned in another thread.

As to equipment, a bench is a bench, a bar is a bar, and a dumbbell.......... the only pieces that really matter as far as design are peck decks and leg extension machines (and stirrups). Most peck decks are designed wrong, don't isolate the peck, don't remove the bicep tendon from the equation and have an incorrect arc.

Atmosphere is tough to come by, created by management and by luck of the prospective clientele demographics in the area. One of the reasons I have worked out at home most of my life, but have experienced some good productive times at gyms.

Ahh to have a gym with great scenic views, all the girls are 10's with pleasant personalities and the guy's are intelligent, successful, and natural athletes. The reality is more likely that the girls are all rejects from the biggest loser and the guys are half-wits who don't follow the directions on their roids.

3. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I am a member of Anytime Fitness in Bolton and so is my brother. The equipment selection is the best in town and I will put up with some traffic to get that.

It was easy for me with the equipment, 24hr access, and distance from my home. I have had nothing but great experiences with the staff at our local gym.

4. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Tamas, thank you. So, wait times on equipment are OK in your experience?

5. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I was a member of a Snap Fitness for a while which is pretty much the same thing (I also looked into purchasing a franchise from both places). Equipment and facilities will be nice and very new, but as you said, they're small. Equipment is leased so machines are replaced somewhat regularly. Being that its open 24 hours, you don't have as big of a rush during the peak hours (before and after work) but you'll still have a rush. I never had a problem waiting for machines since the vast majority of members were women doing treadmills and elipicals. Sometimes I had to switch up the order of my routines due to a machine being in use, but I never really waited for an opening to do something.

Anytime adverages something like 724 members per location with more than half having over 1000 (if I remember right). But, the vast majority pay and stop going within a month. I forget the turn over rate, but its REALLY high. The number is something low like 15% of members regularly go. It may be a little higher, I don't remember.

These small, 24 hour gyms are nice, but for me, it was no replacement for a full scale gym. I got frustrated at the lack of free weights and quit after a year or so. I put equipment in my house instead.

Mark

6. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    No anytime fitness experience, but 5600 sqft seems more like my house than a gym. I like space and available oxygen. My gym is like 20-30k sqft in a small town and people complain about it being small.

1. not too crowded
    2. 24hr access
    3. newer equipment
    4. lots of dumbells and plates. nothing worse than being restricted to 100 lb dumbbells
    5. cold AC (quit a decent gym because it was always 83deg F)
    6. space to breath

7. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thanks all, probably going to stick with the bigger gym for now.

8. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    It was okay in my eyes, never had any complaints. Each location is different so my suggestion is try the one week trial. They should have that available since they have 7-days free at the Anytime around here.

Feel it out and see if it is the right environment for you.

9. LTL

LTL Karting

Sep 26, 2011
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    Leon
    Im member at Anytime Fitness in La Canada.
    I like how its a new gym, clean machines, good dumb bells and every cardio machine (elliptical, treadmill, and bikes) have their own personal tv with a remote.

Pros:
    24 hours entrance with a key fob. At 8-10 i see about 10-15 members. At 11 i see 5. Past midnight im there by my self, and I turn into my own personal gym.
    5 mins from home.
    Cleanest gym I been too, staff knows you by name.
    Clean bathrooms.
    Lots of Tvs, and individual Tvs.
    Lots of soccer moms, aka they only use the cardio machines and a few of the machines.

Cons:

Dumb bells only go up to 100, if you need more you can use a barbell. ( i dont touch anything past 80, so i dont mind).
    No Trx ---> the local YMCA has had trx for the past 4 years, and now the 24 in altadena (4 miles away) has them too.
    No stair master
    No plyometric boxes
    No sauna
    No pool

It works perfectly for me since, I have a pool at home. I dont want to sit where someone's naked butt was sitting steaming for 20 minutes. I dont use the stair master.
    The only real con for me would be the TRX and plyometric boxes.

10. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I'm a member of Anytime fitness in Rancho Cucamonga - primarily because my trainer is there. It's a very small gym but gets the job done. Small so that I know a lot of the regulars in the morning. I would prefer a bigger gym but my trainer is more important to me.