Anyone watch Goodwood races last night? | FerrariChat

Anyone watch Goodwood races last night?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by rob lay, Dec 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think a replay, but first I had seen this years. I couldn't watch all of it, but I think I saw the best race with the Trophy Race with the 330 LM, Jags, Vette, and etc. Oh my gosh those guys drive them cars hard. Very exciting to watch two $5 mil. dollar cars side by side in a full throttle drift. Several of them banging metal too.

With these cars being driven as hard as they were in the 60's, I can't imagine these being the original blocks, anyone know for sure? A few were smoking pretty bad, including the Ferraris.

2. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Darn, I forgot... I watched the segment the night before... it was funny watching an original Mini trying to keep up with a large Jag saloon which was way beyond drifting... full powerslides through the corners... not the best handling cars out there... but sheesh those guys were driving those cars hard... absolutely wringing them out.

I'd love to get the whole series on DVD... wonder if that'll be available.

3. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I watched it. It was on a couple times, actually. I figured these guys would be "racing", not RACING! It hurt to watch these guys trash some of these cars. The best part was it was followed up last night with Monza '93.

4. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Yup, I watched it. Great racing action. Anybody else saw the in-car camera shot of a GT40 getting rear ended? Ouch! The most impressive thing was how hard these guys push their cars.

5. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I just caught the last 20mins.

Very cool.

6. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

It was truly amazing to see life long enthusiasts using their cars for what they were intended. I wonder if insurance covers any of that damage?!?!

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You know the stupid thing is that racing a car (any car) hard does not actually have to involve attempting to kill it!

I personally think the europeans and Poms have got it wrong, because they seem to think unless they bend the car they are not racing hard enough.

All this means is that eventually the cars will wear out and end up in musuems.

I'm all for racing them, but it is NOT win at all costs.

Pete

8. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c

very cool, has anyone here gone to goodwood? we are thinking of doing it this year.

9. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    #9 Daytonafan, Dec 2, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I go to the festival of speed and the revival meet every year. Both events are great although I personally prefer the festival as you are less divorced from the action. Top tip is to stay right to the end of Prize giving as only about 2-300 spectators are left and Lord March usually invites those left to come into the house for a glass of champagne with the drivers. I got to mingle with the likes of Mick Doohan, Derek Bell David Coulthard and Petter Solberg which is very cool. Here are a few pics from the revival meet

250GTO64
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    #10 Daytonafan, Dec 2, 2003
  11. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    #11 Daytonafan, Dec 2, 2003
  12. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    #12 Daytonafan, Dec 2, 2003
  13. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    #13 Daytonafan, Dec 2, 2003
    Finally a Bizzarrini Stradale. I know its not a Ferrari, but it is very cool and it was just parked in the cark park outside the circuit
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Which is the revival, and which is the festival? I always confuse the two.

15. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    The festival is the hillclimb held in June, the revival meet is the recreation of the sixties event held on the race circuit in September