458 - Anyone Using Aftermarket Backup Cameras on their 458 or other Ferrari? | FerrariChat

458 Anyone Using Aftermarket Backup Cameras on their 458 or other Ferrari?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Rexcat458, Apr 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #1 Rexcat458, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    Hello,

Since my 2015 458 Italia was not spec’d with a Ferrari backup camera option (bummer!), I was wondering if anyone has found another option for adding a reliable backup camera to their car?

I know that you can have Ferrari replace the back bumper with the one that integrates their backup camera and add the necessary electronics to make it work through the lower right TFT screen on the dash, but I was interested in something less drastic if possible...

So, I’ve seen some wired and wireless cameras on the web, but few references to using them on a Ferrari. If you have added a non-Ferrari backup camera to your car, what has your experience been with installing it and using it? Does it work through your phone? Is the day to day usage easy and reliable, or is it a hit or miss faff?

Yes, you can just turn around and see a wee bit, but in tight areas, in the pouring rain, or at night, it can be a challenge getting enough visual information. Having a backup camera gives you more confidence that your rearward path is clear to proceed.

I try to use pull through spaces as much as possible, (so you drive forward to exit the space), but that is not always possible. Feel free to point and laugh, but I really love the backup cameras I’ve had on my S-Class Benz cars and would like some of that visual joy on my 458.

Any assistance would be sincerely appreciated and flames are welcome too... Back when I had hair, I spent seven years going in and out of burning buildings with the fire department (and in the back of an ambulance as an EMT), so flames are not a problem for me... Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Hey Steve: I have the Fensens backup camera on my Speciale. It's basically a license plate holder with a camera in it. It's awesome because it uses a Wifi connection to pair to your phone or tablet and so there is no delay, it is pretty quick and in realtime. The image resolution, back-up lines, realtime predictions of where turning the wheel will put you, and the viewing angle are arguably better than the standard F car backup cameras and there is no wiring required.

https://fensens.com/products/100-smart-wireless-backup-camera

Rexcat458 and whatheheck like this.
  3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I installed a wireless back up camera on my F430 Spider. Works great.

And I added a front view camera too as I got tired of scrapping it on those parking turtles.

I used Garmin BC-30 wireless parking cameras. The Garmin GPS doubles as the camera monitor and accepts two wireless camera inputs. Works great.

Similar to you, I installed back up cameras as last thing I want is to back up blind and hurt someone like a child or animal.

I have a DIY post on F430'section.

Hope that helps.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rexcat458 likes this.
  4. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
  5. silver_91

silver_91 Rookie

Oct 31, 2011
    vaughan,on
    Full Name:
    Angelo Savoia
    How?

6. eskanday

eskanday Karting

Jun 21, 2017
    Hi, I looked into it. The product idea is great. The reviews saying that it takes long time to start showing the camera view them it is very laggy. Did you experience that?
    Thanks
    Alex

7. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Hey Alex,

I haven’t had that problem. I saw that in the reviews too. I have an iPhone and when I get close to the car it auto syncs to the camera. There is this pushbutton thing that comes with it as well but I’ve never had to use that to start the sync. When I was setting it up I tried using that and there was a delay with that part of it. Presumably because it’s a third device trying to start the connection on my phone to connect to the license plate...

8. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
  9. eskanday

eskanday Karting

Jun 21, 2017
    Thank you very much. So as soon as you open the app the camera will turn on? And no significant lag? May be the ferrari has the advantage that the distance to the back is not far as bigger cars.
    Thanks again

10. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks so much for the information! I also use an iPhone, so it’s good to hear that it works well with that brand of phone. I will check it out... Cheers!

11. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for the information Dan... I tried to find your DIY post in the 430 sub group section, but it eluded me. I will look again as I’m new to FChat and my navigational skills on this forum are still evolving.

I like the idea of a front view camera as well. My 2018 S-Class 560 4Matic has 360 degree view cameras and it is awesome! Did you install your system, or did a pro shop do it? I’m hesitant to pull trim panels off to hide wires for a camera system...

I’ve done that on some of my Benz cars over the years and about 99.999% of the time, some of the teensy, tiny tabs would break (even when the dealer did it) and you would have to order new parts. Ugh... I need some kind of camera system though, so I’ll take a look at your setup. Cheers bruddah!

whatheheck likes this.
  12. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Do you know if your setup will support a front view camera in addition to a rear view as well (addressable separately). It would be handy for pull in spaces and to avoid tall tire stops.

Do you need a WiFi hotspot in the car for it to work, or will it work with just the phones WiFi? I use an iPhone 8Plus. What model are you using? The auto pairing sounds great as well. Thanks for your assistance! Cheers!

13. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for the information. This sounds interesting. Is the viewable area large enough to get a good picture? Do you have one installed on your Ferrari? Cheers!

14. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I have a Pearl wireless back up camera which is essentially a license plate with technology that links up to your iPhone. I use it on my 360. I'm not sure if you can still get one but I'm pretty sure its similar to the Fensen's device mentioned above. Sunlight charges the license plate while its on the car but unfortunately we haven't seen much of that in the NY metro area lately.:( You can remove the plate to charge it indoors as well.

15. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    I have a great solution that uses the factory TFT display just like oem. When you hit the reverse button rear cam will automatically come on, and for front cam, will come on automatically below 3 mph for 10 seconds then turn off, which you can override as well. This requires sending in your dash display and around $2,500.

16. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Dumb question, but if the vendor installs a 4.3" LCD display into your rear view mirror, doesn't that remove that 4.3" area from being a rear view mirror (ie, when you're not in reverse, so camera off). For example, being able to see cars directly behind you while driving down the road.

17. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yes the screen is comparable in size to the factory screen and plenty large enough to see what you're doing.

18. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The screen automatically turns on/off when you put the car in reverse the same as any backup display. The monitor is invisible when off and you will have full view of the entire mirror.

19. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    I haven't experienced it, my phone autopairs to the FENSENS when I walk up to the car. I haven't noticed but it may also be that turning the speciale on is like a ritual for me. I unplug the battery tender, I get in, I turn the key, I wait for all the dash lights to go off, the radar detector starts to chirp, and then I hit start... so if you're used to a quicker getaway then you might experience some lag, but I really don't think so. Not as long as you have set up the FENSENS wifi/bt as a priority device.

20. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Here you go Steve:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/diy-f430-front-view-camera-and-back-up-camera-installation.591728/

I also just checked and looks like Garmin has released new back up camera models. More options now:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cOnTheRoad-c533-p1.html

Hope that helps.

Dan

21. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks so much! After scanning the photos, a question... Is the screen just sitting/laying against the lower dash, or is there some mounting bracket holding it? Have not had a chance to read all of the text yet... Apologies. Love the idea of a front camera!!! Cheers!

22. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Steve, I just ordered the Garmin system from Amazon. DriveSmart Navigator 55 and BC 40 backup camera. Only cost $299 for both and it arrives on Thursday. I will let you know how the install and performance is once I get it in. I liked the fact that the camera is battery operated with no wiring (no big deal for me changing batteries). Also, Navigator unit is rechargeable and size of a phone. I will mount it in my cupholder phone mount and probably connect it to my USB charger in glovebox. Instructions say that the backup camera is voice activated and seamless, so we will see.

23. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    Would be great if you could show some pictures with the camera installed. I wonder if it doesn't look very big on the car?

Thanks in advance!

24. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Mahalo Nui Loa! I will eagerly await your thoughts on installation and usage. Cheers bruddah!

25. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Amazon delivered a day early. It came during a boring conference call, so I dropped the call and did the install instead. Super easy but since the mounting bracket does not accommodate a license plate frame, I had to notch out my frame to make it fit. Fairly simple modification. The head unit is still charging (amazing it is taking so long), so I will do a quick review on the install, user review will follow later. Here are some pictures I took along the way. Again very simple install since there are no wires.

Garmin bracket next to license plate
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Side view with license plate installed. You can see where I notched the frame

Installed with just the bracket, camera not mounted

Side view

Mounted with camera

Side view with camera

Head unit mounted into my cup holder phone mount. Battery died after I took the picture

More of a side view

Larger view

Size of the head unit next to an iPhone6. Almost the same size